Renting implements & fluid contamination?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t fluid stay inside hydraulic implements once detached?

So for example, someone rented a grapple before you and was running good ol 10w30 as hydraulic fluid in an old skid steer. Once you hook up to it, wouldn’t you water down your own hydraulic system with whatever was in the implement before?

I imagine something with a pump like a post hole digger would hold even more fluid.

What does everyone think?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t fluid stay inside hydraulic implements once detached?

So for example, someone rented a grapple before you and was running good ol 10w30 as hydraulic fluid in an old skid steer. Once you hook up to it, wouldn’t you water down your own hydraulic system with whatever was in the implement before?

I imagine something with a pump like a post hole digger would hold even more fluid.

What does everyone think?

You are exactly right in your theory! And your use of "water" down could be figurative and literal to boot!;)

Onsiteman

Apr 25, 2018
Stayner, Ontario, Canada
That is an excellent point. Most of the time if I rent something for the BX it’s a specialty bucket that just swaps on the QSSA but we have a sweeper on our skid steer that would fit and the only reason I didn’t try it was that it is way too heavy and the BX does not have the hydraulic flow to run it. I know for a fact that it has completely different fluid than the tractor and now I am glad I didn’t try it. Thanks for that insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The amount will be inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I borrow stuff all the time from other farmers so I cross contaminate but again, it's not much compared to the amount of fluid I have in the case (54 quart fill) versus a couple ounces in any implement.

Never give it a though actually.

brimar

Equipment
bx 1870 48" mmm fel
Oct 5, 2014
lancaster PA
Always a slight risk that somebody before you had some junk in their system, you hope their filters caught the worst. It is not a big concern for me but if I borrow our rent hyd implements I change hyd oil early.