Removing wheels/tires with ballast and wheel weights.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have two sets of wheel weights on the M6060 and ordered a third set last July. I received a call from the local dealer to tell me that the weights and bolt kit came in this week. I've spent way too much money having the local dealer change rear wheels around on both tractors and also having them install wheel weights etc. I'm good with how the MX wheels and three sets of weights are set up. The wheels are at the second widest setting of the four possible configurations and I won't be changing those, but the M6060 is not optimized yet.

The M6060 wheels are currently at the second narrowest position and I'd like to change them to the second widest which means I'll need to spin the centers around. First I'll need to remove two wheel weights, then remove the wheel, spin the center, get the wheel back on the hub and then install three sets of weights.

I have the MX to use so could put on the pallet forks and use them with straps to remove the weights and wheel. I'd ask a friend to help with this project and would like to do this myself when the weather improves so has anyone done this and did you rig up anything to help? If fabbing up some kind of support out of steel would be helpful I'm not opposed to doing that. I would think that pallet forks and good straps would/should be enough but I've not tried this obviously.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
They make things specifically for that chore but they aren’t cheap. Example of a sort of small one:

My brother has one and it’s nice if you have a smooth concrete floor.

Have also used forks with a chain to secure to the fork rack. That’s easy off but a bit off a bear going back on because you can’t roll it to line up.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
They make things specifically for that chore but they aren’t cheap. Example of a sort of small one:

My brother has one and it’s nice if you have a smooth concrete floor.

Have also used forks with a chain to secure to the fork rack. That’s easy off but a bit off a bear going back on because you can’t roll it to line up.
Now that I have the LMTV which has monstrous wheels, I could use that dolly, but I don't have a concrete floor with enough headroom to make use of that dolly. I guess I should put more thought into this and maybe make up an attachment that would work with the MX FEL to swap wheels/tires on the M6060 and LMTV. I can see the need to rotate the wheel to get it back on the hub so rollers would be helpful.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Have a look at the 'device' on trucks that deliver skids of shingles or blocks. A huge welded letter 'C' shape. I made one for R+R forklift front tires/drums/finals which are ,um, kinda heavy and awkward. I had it on a chain hoist/trolley on an I beam, in your case though, it could be attached on the forks of your loader tractor.
Tire dollys only work well but only smooth concrete floors,maybe on a 5by10 sheet of 1" plywood.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think what you have will work easily but may be naive about how the tires are going to be removed…

can you get the forks under the tire and block the tire to the top of the forks somehow?
tie wheel to the forks and remove the (remaining) lug nuts (or bolts)?
remove wheel from tractor and then lift it up some and sling it from above to have it hanging from a hoist? Then use the tractor and forks to get the bottom of the tire moved out to an angle and lower the hoist so it’s becomes a horizontal wheel on some blocks? remove weghts using tractor to lift them and place in safe location? Then remove the cent of the wheel and turn it over may have to use hoist and tractor to turn it over. Then reassemble center of wheel in new position and install the wheel weights (or not yet?) on the wheel. Use hoist to get wheel vertical and strapped to the forks ag and install ont tractor. Not sure if accuracy of wheel to tractor can be achieved but get close enough?

it might be easier to remove weights first and then install last but you will have to decide on that.

for sure it would be easier to install the wheel with the hydraulic manipulation arm on a large mobile tire repair truck.

another alternative would be have them removed and replaced by a mobile service on two separate days. Remove on Monday, you do work on Tuesday and Wednesday then replace the wheels on Friday. This is the safest way but most likely costs more (unless you have an accident doing it yourself.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would remove the entire thing as a package, tire, center and weights, strapped to a set of forks under it.
Pull it out were you can lay it down face up.
Pull the weights, pull and flip center, reinstall weights, then pick it up and reinstall assembly back on the tractor.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Now that I have the LMTV which has monstrous wheels, I could use that dolly, but I don't have a concrete floor with enough headroom to make use of that dolly. I guess I should put more thought into this and maybe make up an attachment that would work with the MX FEL to swap wheels/tires on the M6060 and LMTV. I can see the need to rotate the wheel to get it back on the hub so rollers would be helpful.
There are similar things made for use with forklifts. They aren’t cheap either. They share two important features: 1) the tire rests on rollers, usually three or four per side or one large one per side, so you can spin it at least a little bit; 2) a reach over top post or chain wrap to ensure the wheel can’t tip.Example:

Not really suggesting you run out and buy one of these but knowing you have fabrication and engineering skills figured it might give you an idea of something you might be able to cost effectively put together by modifying a pair of forks.

Reactions: 1 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I used to use a overhead gantry crane at a place I worked at. Changed tires a few times a month for the owners pulling tractor and the surface he was going to be running on. It was a short strap through the rim and connected to a chain with a bolt. As for lining the studs up a thin pry bar to turn the axle(front tires blocked). I would think you could do the same with the fork frame. Just go slow and be safe. Also a few friends around will not hurt, just make sure communication is use for every movement. Me and my brother were able to flip the rear tires on his L3240 using only jacks, stands, and 2 long 2x4's to pry the tires back onto the studs.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh I like the fork lift setup!
Hum...
Me has forklift,
Me has rollers,
Me has steel,
MCMXI, I could make one of those and you could come borrow it! ;)

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
There are similar things made for use with forklifts. They aren’t cheap either. They share two important features: 1) the tire rests on rollers, usually three or four per side or one large one per side, so you can spin it at least a little bit; 2) a reach over top post or chain wrap to ensure the wheel can’t tip.Example:

Not really suggesting you run out and buy one of these but knowing you have fabrication and engineering skills figured it might give you an idea of something you might be able to cost effectively put together by modifying a pair of forks.
Wow! That's kind of what I was thinking. But $4,323 for that "implement"!? I'd make my own for a whole lot less. I could even use the pallet fork frame that I have and make up a set of "forks" with rollers.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Oh I like the fork lift setup!
Hum...
Me has forklift,
Me has rollers,
Me has steel,
MCMXI, I could make one of those and you could come borrow it! ;)
If I would only use something like this on the tractors I would be all over that offer since I don't see a need to remove the wheels once they're set up to the desirable width. Tire failures happen but hopefully I have years on these without issues. But with the LMTV I might need to use it way more often, particularly once I learn how to remove the tires from the steel wheels. That's very generous of you though and I appreciate it and we can revisit the idea in a few months.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
4k Otis forklift set up for 3pt. Works well just don't need anymore I found this on FB Would a LX2610 have enough fluid to operate this. Anyone use/have something similar?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
A 4" bore, 6' long cylinder needs about 1/2 gallon of oil, + or -.

4/2=2 2x2=4 4xpi=12 12 x72= 864 864/1728=0.5

yeah rough math, pencil sharpener's in garage.....

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
DSC02721.JPG
DSC02723.JPG

Pictures of my 'overhead tire dolly'. needed the 2by4 to line up the bullgear/drum with the drive pinion and the bearings and axle. It ain't 'store bought',it's been used a LOT, cost nothing, SAVED my back !!

Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I can see that an engine hoist will give a lot of fine control, but it requires a level surface, and ideally concrete. The MX can not only lift more, but it doesn't care much about whether it's on a concrete slab or not.