Removing steering wheel b6100

orangerust

Equipment
tiller 1000
Apr 5, 2010
los angeles california
The Steering wheel on my b6100 is really stuck on. Any ideas on how to remove it? Ive tried a gear puller but cant get the jaws around and under the center of the wheel. The center nut is off. Is it a spline fit?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Put the nut back on it till the top of the shaft and the top of the nut are flush, soak it in BB blaster or any other rust breaker for a day.
Get an assistant, and person pulls up on the steering wheel (stronger one) and the other takes a piece of hardwood and smacks the end of the shaft and nut (one with better aim) and it should pop off. :D

orangerust

Equipment
tiller 1000
Apr 5, 2010
los angeles california
Put the nut back on it till the top of the shaft and the top of the nut are flush, soak it in BB blaster or any other rust breaker for a day.
Get an assistant, and person pulls up on the steering wheel (stronger one) and the other takes a piece of hardwood and smacks the end of the shaft and nut (one with better aim) and it should pop off. :D
Tried that no luck. I broke down and bought an 8" gear puller which does fit but even that is required alot of torque on that plastic wheel. I sprayed her down with rust breaker and will leave it with the puller till tomorrow see if it pops off.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
On my B7100 I ended up using a harmonic balancer puller. I drilled the center hub of the steering wheel in 3 places with a 1/4" bit. Used long 1/4" bolts with nuts under the steering wheel. Put some pressure on it then hit the puller bolt with a hammer.

Attachments

orangerust

Equipment
tiller 1000
Apr 5, 2010
los angeles california
On my B7100 I ended up using a harmonic balancer puller. I drilled the center hub of the steering wheel in 3 places with a 1/4" bit. Used long 1/4" bolts with nuts under the steering wheel. Put some pressure on it then hit the puller bolt with a hammer.
Can you tell me is it a splined fit or a tapered?

orangerust

Equipment
tiller 1000
Apr 5, 2010
los angeles california
I did get it off. The gear pulller and a whack with a big hammer.

Mozarker

Equipment
B2150HST, LA350A FEL, Brush Hog, Rear Blade, Post Hole Digger, Gravely ZT mower
Sep 7, 2018
Southwest MO
Does this two-guys-and-a-hammer method also apply to my B2150 HSD? I've got power steering fluid leaking out the shaft and need to replace a seal.