remote sticking in float position

LonnieBarham

Equipment
Kubota 108s, JD 6110M, JD 4430
May 23, 2013
Coldwater, MS
I have a Kubota 105s that we use for pulling a batwing bushhog, cutting hay, and raking hay. All of these task require the remote hydraulics to float along the ground. Once you get the remote lever in the float position I can't get it out without tapping on the end of the valve at the end of the remote box. I had this tractor in the dealership to fix this problem, I was told told they removed a "ball" in the remote box and that should fix the problem, but it has not. I've since been told to spray the valve that goes in and out of the box with WD-40 or a lubricant and that should fix the problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem, if so how did you fix? Please advise.

Lonnie B

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My 9000 does that and has since it was new. I can give my handle a good jerk and it comes out of float pretty easy. I have sprayed the linkage with synthetic gel lubricant which seemed to help some. Not wanting to start a war but WD40 doesn't make a good lubricant. Not what it was designed for so IMHO I would stay away from that. Truth be known it probably made things worse for you.

I hate to say it but Kubota remotes (as far as being smooth) suck.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I had that problem with the FEL control on my B7500. It was difficult to fix because I don't have six tiny hands.

I had it parked outside for period when I was working on the shed and apparently rain managed to get into the mechanical workings of the joystick. Inside there was a part that resembled a minature cylinder sleeve with a raised ring around the inside. This is where the detent ball / balls bumped into and kept the valve in "float". I smoothed and cleaned the parts and reassembled it and all was well. I can't recall all the parts and how they went together but DO remember I could have used a few more (and very small) hands and a zero gravity environment.

Oh, and I was very fortunate to have a real hardware store to head for when I lost one of the detent balls.

LonnieBarham

Equipment
May 23, 2013
Coldwater, MS
thanks for the reply, i'll try a different lubricant. I agree that the Kubota remotes do suck as far as smoothness. I think i may redesign the angle of the cable going to the box to get more leverage to push the main cylinder back.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Mine has never been so bad that I needed to use a hammer to get it out but it does take a good firm jerk to get it out. My other remote doesn't have float and it's very smooth. I use my tractor for the same stuff you listed also. I use float on my batwing to cheat and get 3 functions out of 2 remotes.

LonnieBarham

Equipment
May 23, 2013
Coldwater, MS
I understand, I have a 108S that works fine, little hard to get out but very workable. I bent the handle on the 105 trying to get it out of the float position before I took the cover off the remote handles to get to the back of the mechanism. Since, I found it easier to open the back window and just tap the end of the valve when I have to use it. What lubricant would you recommend?

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That's about ridiculous that it takes so much force to work a remote. As much as they cost I would be on the dealers ass and if they didn't want to do anything I would be in contact with a factory rep. I happen to have ones number if you want it.

Lubricant: I use a synthetic gel lube that is packaged locally. The very best I ever used is made by Zepp. It's Zepp 2000 penetrating grease. It runs in like a penetrating oil then turns to a light grease. Anything you use a spray type lubricant on this stuff is great. I have seen it on-line and it's high but it does come in a big can. This is one product that really does follow the example of a little bit goes a long way.

I have a story that you can relate to since you obviously are around balers. At the end on the season I pressure wash my baler before I get it ready to go back to the shed. I engaged the pto and had a upper bearing on the end of a roller starting to squeak. Non greasable type so most of the time just throw it away when the new one is installed. I sprayed a little shot of Zepp on the collar around the bearing. Everything got quiet. I gave it a few more small shots while it was running and took it back to the shed. That was 3 seasons ago and the bearing is still running. Every time I grease the baler and oil chains I will give the bearing a shot and head to the field.

Just for the record I have no ties with Zepp. It's simply a product I have enjoyed using.

LonnieBarham

Equipment
May 23, 2013
Coldwater, MS
I bought this one used, so I'm kinda on my own. I'll figure out something. I always do.

Sounds like I've got to get me some Zep 2000. Sounds like this stuff is good enough to be stored with the duct tape and baling wire.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm not saying it's the best lube on the market but I think it would be a nice addition to the duct tape and baling wire. Just like the tape and wire it will be one of those things you will wonder how you ever made it without it.

If you do try it let me know what you think.