Remote control valve

patackett

Equipment
L3800
Aug 6, 2014
Tallmadge, Ohio
When I bought my L3800 it came with a single remote valve and I decided later that I wanted to add additional valves for various attachments. I purchased a Prince Stack Valve from Surplus Center with 4 working sections and a power beyond port. The Prince site has installation instructions that show an example of how to set up the new valve while keeping a second valve connected to the power beyond port. This is exactly what I wanted to do because it allowed me to keep my existing valve. So I have my system plumbed exactly as described in the Prince installation instructions. However, it is not working properly. The downstream single valve works fine and this tells me I have sufficient fluid and pressure going to the new valve and through the power beyond port to the downstream valve. The problem I have with the new valve is that no fluid at all comes out of the work ports unless you just crack open the valve a little bit. It will squirt fluid if you just barely open the valve but then shuts flow off completely when you move beyond that and to the fully open position. This happens using either direction of the valve or for any of the four work sections. I sent a message to both Prince and Surplus Center with no response from either. I am not sure what to do next and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Give us the model # of the valve that you bought.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you, for that info:
Now how do you have it piped in?
Where does each supply and return port come from or go to?

Just as a note:
The 2 D sections will do exactly like to mention they will power on a partial open then go neutral allowing fluid to flow in and out from Work Port A to Work Port B.

patackett

Equipment
L3800
Aug 6, 2014
Tallmadge, Ohio
I understand that the two D sections have a float function but you have to go all the way past the detent to engage that feature. Regardless, the other work sections are doing the same thing. The instructions from Prince are attached and they provide an example plumbing diagram that just coincidentally is exactly how my system needed to be set up. So my valves are plumbed just as depicted in the attached diagram, including the second valve that is driven by the power beyond port. What makes it interesting is that the second valve works properly. I sure appreciate you taking the time to look at this. Thanks!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Which power beyond plug did you use
Where did you pipe the return to?
And yes install pictures can be helpful too! ;)

Last edited:

patackett

Equipment
L3800
Aug 6, 2014
Tallmadge, Ohio
The drawing is attached to one of the earlier posts and the drawing shows exactly how my system is plumbed. The return is plumbed back to the tank with a tee to allow both valves to return to the tank. Is is plumbed just as it looks in the attachment.

I am not sure what power beyond plug I have. It came with the valve and looks like what they call option 2 in the attachment.

The diagram that is attached is better than any picture I could post. Please have a look at the diagram and you will see now the two valves are plumbed together and how they are connected to the pump, tank, and cylinders.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I understand what you say when you say you plumbed it just like the diagram, But, if you did that it should work, and that doesn't seam to be the case.
It sounds like you have one of the in or out lines in the wrong port on the valve, or you just have a bad valve (very unlikely) or the wrong valve (possible).
I have installed hundreds of different devices and pieces of equipment and it's very easy to get things swapped around, what looks great on paper doesn't always equate to the right real world result, a second set of eyes sometimes helps.

Double check the valve # is the one you expected to get and not a different valve completely, it wouldn't be the first time a parts distributer has swapped parts.

patackett

Equipment
L3800
Aug 6, 2014
Tallmadge, Ohio
Thanks Wolfman. I have done all the things you suggested and we are still scratching our heads. I was hoping someone could explain why a valve might behave the way it is and that might lead to the problem. We will look it over again but really these are simple devices and I suppose we may need to consider it is defective.

patackett

Equipment
L3800
Aug 6, 2014
Tallmadge, Ohio
I don't have a pressure gauge but will get one if that would help. I can only assume I have good inlet flow pressure because it was there before and also because the downstream valve works fine which tells me I have good flow/pressure at the power beyond port. Everything else works fine. Opening another valve didn't change anything.

I just can't understand why I would get fluid if I barely shift a spool but have it stop if you shift the spool a little more. I am just stumped on this one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally don't think a pressure gauge is going to do swat for you, you have pressure you have flow, or your other remote wouldn't work.
I've said it before and I'll say it again it sounds like the flow is reversed, by what you are describing that is happening with the valves sounds like it's either being feed pressure on the Return or Power Beyond, or it's the wrong valve type.