Regen comparison

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
Has anyone seen or done a study on off road diesel and over the road diesel to determine if one causes more frequent regens? Inquiring minds want to know if there's a difference.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Has anyone seen or done a study on off road diesel and over the road diesel to determine if one causes more frequent regens? Inquiring minds want to know if there's a difference.
No, but there should not be.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Pretty sure the only difference is some dye. At least in my area thats the only difference. Additives are exactly the same save the dye.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Just saw this article this morning. Found it interesting

What’s Diesel Made Of?

Diesel fuel is made from refined crude oil and biomass materials. It gets its name from the type of engine it’s used in. Diesel fuel is the distillate fuel oil made for compression ignition engines which were originally invented by a man named Rudolf Diesel. So diesel fuel is the fuel that’s appropriate for use in a diesel engine. There’s more than one type of diesel fuel. There’s on-road diesel fuel, and there’s off-road diesel fuel. What’s the difference? Let’s take a look at the two types of diesel fuel.

What’s On-Road and Off-Road Diesel?
Off-road and on-road diesel are very much what they sound like. On-road diesel is taxed at a higher rate, and it is meant to go in vehicles that will be on the road—cars, trucks, trailers, etc. This is the diesel fuel you’ll find at gas stations. On road diesel is clear in color and has a lower sulfur content than off-road diesel. That lower sulfur content is important in terms of engine performance and longevity as well as the environment.

Off-road vehicles and equipment can use off-road diesel. It’s less expensive (since it isn’t taxed at the same rate). However, it is only intended for use in off-road vehicles and equipment—farm tractors, construction vehicles, generators, etc. It’s dyed a red color so as not to be confused with on-road diesel. It also has a higher sulfur content than on-road diesel. You should not use off-road diesel in an on-road vehicle. In the U.S., it’s illegal to use off-road diesel in a vehicle that will be driven on the road.

What Are On-Road & Off-Road Diesel? | Downey Energy (downeyoilny.com)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Just saw this article this morning. Found it interesting

What’s Diesel Made Of?

Diesel fuel is made from refined crude oil and biomass materials. It gets its name from the type of engine it’s used in. Diesel fuel is the distillate fuel oil made for compression ignition engines which were originally invented by a man named Rudolf Diesel. So diesel fuel is the fuel that’s appropriate for use in a diesel engine. There’s more than one type of diesel fuel. There’s on-road diesel fuel, and there’s off-road diesel fuel. What’s the difference? Let’s take a look at the two types of diesel fuel.

What’s On-Road and Off-Road Diesel?
Off-road and on-road diesel are very much what they sound like. On-road diesel is taxed at a higher rate, and it is meant to go in vehicles that will be on the road—cars, trucks, trailers, etc. This is the diesel fuel you’ll find at gas stations. On road diesel is clear in color and has a lower sulfur content than off-road diesel. That lower sulfur content is important in terms of engine performance and longevity as well as the environment.

Off-road vehicles and equipment can use off-road diesel. It’s less expensive (since it isn’t taxed at the same rate). However, it is only intended for use in off-road vehicles and equipment—farm tractors, construction vehicles, generators, etc. It’s dyed a red color so as not to be confused with on-road diesel. It also has a higher sulfur content than on-road diesel. You should not use off-road diesel in an on-road vehicle. In the U.S., it’s illegal to use off-road diesel in a vehicle that will be driven on the road.

What Are On-Road & Off-Road Diesel? | Downey Energy (downeyoilny.com)
hmmm, I thought that I had read somewhere that off road diesel sulfur content is now the same as it's on road counterpart. It was changed some years ago. Conflicting reports I presume?

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
hmmm, I thought that I had read somewhere that off road diesel sulfur content is now the same as it's on road counterpart. It was changed some years ago. Conflicting reports I presume?
yep that’s fake news…(at least in the US)

267FF442-F6D9-41DD-BE20-235FD7A8A1D6.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Shouldn't make any difference on your regen. The only difference between on and off road diesel is the red die.

Reactions: 1 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Any opinions on Biodiesel with respect to engine operation?

I had to change fuel filters after running several tanks of Biodiesel (not b/c of a problem with the Biodiesel, but rather a periodic mileage interval) and noticed that the fuel was bright green, like anti-freeze. My truck ran good on Biodiesel, no issues noticed at all.

Reactions: 1 users