Recommendations for L2501 fuel tank pre-filter screen ?

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I did a quick search here with out luck.
I have a L2501 and find the area around the filler neck and fuel tank cap is a magnet for dust, dirt and debris. I often times rely on friends and family to help with refueling due to the location of the fuel tank filler and find that as helpful as they are, they do not have the same level of concern that I do for keeping my fuel as clean as possible going into the tank. My B7100 came with a pre-filter and think this is a feature that should have been included on the L2501 and like series.

Can someone recommend a pre-filter screen that for sure fits the L2501 and will use the factory fuel cap?

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
some can use a $15 'mason jar cold coffee ss fiilter', which is $40 up here ,north of the 49th....
I used a $store 'kitchen sink strainer' for my BX23S.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I know that all filler necks between models are not the same size. Have you used that filter in an L2501 :rolleyes:

Someone asks a question about X, and ppl give advice for Y 🥴

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Not sure how much help this may be. I used a dial calipers and got these measurements the best I could in thousandths of a inch. I was not able to measure the inside step diameter that is .825 below the top seating edge for the cap. If I had to guesstimate the step, perhaps .100. I also do not know if there is an addition step in the filler tube before opening up to the tank. Note: not drawn to scale

IMG_7694.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
The BX "Zell Cold Brew filter " will not fit. He needs a filter that is less than 2 inches in diameter.
1652835860724.png

Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Maybe buy a funnel with a filter in it already. Or make one using a funnel as the "primary ingredient". I have one but cant recommend it as it leaves a lot of fuel "waste" in the bottom. Good luck

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks for the suggestions guys! The issue for me is that I want to mitigate contamination of the fuel by the act of opening the fuel cap. I find the design of the cap in relation to the opening in the hood seems to collect all manor of debris and dirt. I try and get in with a paper towel and clean the best I can before taking the cap off. Anything that I can do to avoid fuel related issues down the road , especially as simple as installing a fine mesh pre-filter is worth it to me.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Yep - like Ken says the issue is the large accumulation of crud that adheres just under the cap due to splash and leakage of small amount of diesel past the cap threads. There is usually a half inch collar of dirt and crud that falls off the cap when it is unscrewed. I try to run a rag around it before opening, but due to it being recessed into the hood, it leaves dirt all around. As Ken says others may not be careful to wipe away and there is always dirt around and not always air or rags to brush it away.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Yep - like Ken says the issue is the large accumulation of crud that adheres just under the cap due to splash and leakage of small amount of diesel past the cap threads. There is usually a half inch collar of dirt and crud that falls off the cap when it is unscrewed. I try to run a rag around it before opening, but due to it being recessed into the hood, it leaves dirt all around. As Ken says others may not be careful to wipe away and there is always dirt around and not always air or rags to brush it away.
Well said! Exactly what I have experienced. I only have the L2501 and the B7100 with little to no other tractor experience. The fuel cap is under the hood on the B7100 which seems to eliminate the crud and debris buildup plus it came with a pre filter. Knock on wood, I have had zero fuel related issues with the B7100 and would like to continue that with the L2501.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I used compressed air to blow dirt off and around fuel necks. Don't care if it a chain saw, tractor or combine it get blown off before the fuel cap comes off. I do have a compressor on my fuel trailer. I use air bubbles on the chain saws and sometimes on the MX-6000 as once in a while I will fuel it with a 5 gallon can to get me to the fuel trailer. That tank on that MX isn't big enough.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Maybe buy a funnel with a filter in it already. Or make one using a funnel as the "primary ingredient". I have one but cant recommend it as it leaves a lot of fuel "waste" in the bottom. Good luck
I agree I bought one of these and it leaves a couple of oz of fuel in the filter. i wont use unless I have really old fuel and need to start a fire. I may use in my generator because that fuel is older and the generator is fussy

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I agree I bought one of these and it leaves a couple of oz of fuel in the filter. i wont use unless I have really old fuel and need to start a fire. I may use in my generator because that fuel is older and the generator is fussy
I have a can where I empty those couple ounces of remaining fuel. I use that for winter burn piles.