Recommend a kubota product for my use case

kehyler

Jul 17, 2021
Northeast
Hi Guys,

Just curios what the recommendation would be for my use case. Just bought a ~1acre property in the northeast that I’m considering buying something organge for. Never had a SCUT or a CUT before.

also, if kubota isn’t the right choice, I’m not brand loyal and wouldn’t mind John deer if they have a better offering.

Some details:
  • Property has sone medium hills, I think these can be mowed
  • Soil seems to be a little clayish in areas
  • About a 60’ driveway to clear of snow, driveway has a medium slope to it
  • Would like to build and maintain a second 60’ gravel driveway for trailer
  • Would like tractor to move 7.5k lbs trailer around and up driveway
  • Mowing probably 2/3rds of the property
  • Removing trees and moving cords of firewood
  • I have a above ground pool to disassemble with gravel underneath it
  • I want to be able to run a 15-20kw PTO generator
  • I’m a buy once and cry once type person who does their own maintenance

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi Guys,

Just curios what the recommendation would be for my use case. Just bought a ~1acre property in the northeast that I’m considering buying something organge for. Never had a SCUT or a CUT before.

also, if kubota isn’t the right choice, I’m not brand loyal and wouldn’t mind John deer if they have a better offering.

Some details:
Everything in that list was in line with a small SCUT like the Kubota BX until I hit the generator. A 15-20kw PTO generator is going to require 30-40 PTO horsepower which puts you in an entirely different class which is overkill for your other needs.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

kehyler

Jul 17, 2021
Northeast
Everything in that list was in line with a small SCUT like the Kubota BX until I hit the generator. A 15-20kw PTO generator is going to require 30-40 PTO horsepower which puts you in an entirely different class which is overkill for your other needs.

Dan
Well, the generator size isn’t a hard requirement. I guess with a BX2680 I could do 10kw like this: https://apelectric.com/winco-w10pto...P5zJKPrHbxDOWYPDTncvPWBJ6pxSnOp4aAhhJEALw_wcB

Should I be looking at the BX2680 or the LX2610?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well, the generator size isn’t a hard requirement. I guess with a BX2680 I could do 10kw like this: https://apelectric.com/winco-w10pto...P5zJKPrHbxDOWYPDTncvPWBJ6pxSnOp4aAhhJEALw_wcB

Should I be looking at the BX2680 or the LX2610?
Look at both. The LX is a larger machine and may be a bit more tractor than your 1ac can accomodate. A B2601 might be a better fit. My general recommendation is buy the largest machine you can afford and use in your situation. Do some shopping and test driving to get a feel for size and usability.

Dan

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
My opinion, for what it's worth, get a CUT over a SCUT (BX). Gives you room to grow and is easier to maintain (fan belts and servicing is easier)
And if you don't need a factory cab with AC, get the B2601 over the LX and use the money you saved for implements. The B is a good mowing machine, has a drive over mm mower and has a light foot print.

I mow 2 acres of my property with my B2620 (old version of the B2601). It runs a BXM32 chipper/shredder with ease. I plow and snow blow a 300 foot driveway. It has built and maintains one mile of bush road into my back property with steep hills. And it can lift a full bucket of gravel no problem and I have unloaded 550 pound crates with my clamp on forks on my bucket......so that puts more leverage and weight out front, with just my box blade as ballast.

They are surprisingly capable little tractors.

And with the 5 gallons of gas my old lawn tractor used to take to do the lawns, for the same 5 gallons of fuel the Kubota does them 13 times.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Do you need a cab? If so I would bump up to the LX series. If not, a B2601 or a BX seem like good choices. B has a 3 range HST, which is better than a 2 range.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi Guys,

Some details:
7,500 Lb. trailer and 15 KW generator rules out SCUTs and small CUTs.

You need substantial weight and brakes to safely move your trailer on anything but level ground.

30+ PTO HP.

SDT

Reactions: 1 users

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
I've moved my boat and loaded car trailer with my B2601 before, the boat is around 6k and the car trailer with car probably about the same. I honestly wouldn't want to move much more than that with it. I have just under 2 acres and mow about 1 acre with it. It is overkill for my property, but has been a life saver for lots of projects, including helping to build my 30x40 barn. Give it a close look.

You'd be better off getting a stand alone generator, why put all the hours on your tractor and it doesn't have much of a run time with the small tank so powering your house for a week if the power goes out isn't really realistic. On a 1 acre property you can probably reach most areas with some heavy duty long extension cords if you just need temp power some where.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
John Deere 1025R. More capable than a BX but still a SCUT.

You’ve got a tiny property and a giant list of tasks that will be accomplished best done by a SCUT.

For the trailer and generator you might need to figure out another option for those two items.

kehyler

Jul 17, 2021
Northeast
John Deere 1025R. More capable than a BX but still a SCUT.

You’ve got a tiny property and a giant list of tasks that will be accomplished best done by a SCUT.

For the trailer and generator you might need to figure out another option for those two items.
Thanks for the feedback. What makes the 1025R more capable than the BX?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
The significant difference is the inclusion of position control on the 1025R.

SDT
Don't the newest versions of the BX have position control? I had thought Kubota got away from quarter inching, but I could be wrong.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Don’t let people talk you out of buying a PTO generator. Too many people are scared to use their tractors because they are afraid of putting hours on them, which is what tractors are made to do. A PTO generator is a great backup particularly if your power only goes out very occasionally because you only have 1 engine to maintain and keep running. I run a 12/15kw with my B2920 plus use it to move my 30’ camper around the yard including hauling it up and down a hill. I would choose either a B2601 or LX2610 to meet your needs.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Thanks for the feedback. What makes the 1025R more capable than the BX?
The 1025R has a little more loader capacity, more weight I believe, a better drive over mower deck connection system, position control 3 point hitch.

BX could be a nice fit too, you could try both to see which one is more user friendly for you.

My position is to buy the right machine for the 90% of tasks you’ll be doing on a regular basis.we actually live on 1/3 acre now with a similar 60’ and separate 40’ driveway. I have a B2601 and it’s way too big (it’s comical in a way - people joke about my “big tractor”). It would be far easier to use a smaller tractor here. Since our living here is only temporary until we build our house on my parents land, I’m just dealing with it for now. But just giving you frame of reference. The SCUT class was designed for suburbaguys in the single digit average. Look up tractor time with Tim on YouTube. It’s amazing how much you can accomplish with a 1025R.

There are other makes too, kioti, etc. I’m just not familiar with any of those but they will have sub compact offerings too.

John Deere will carry a price premium no doubt!

Also both the Kubota and John Deere can be purchased with a cab if that’s a desirable option for you.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The 1025R has a little more loader capacity, more weight I believe, a better drive over mower deck connection system, position control 3 point hitch.

BX could be a nice fit too, you could try both to see which one is more user friendly for you.

My position is to buy the right machine for the 90% of tasks you’ll be doing on a regular basis.we actually live on 1/3 acre now with a similar 60’ and separate 40’ driveway. I have a B2601 and it’s way too big (it’s comical in a way - people joke about my “big tractor”). It would be far easier to use a smaller tractor here. Since our living here is only temporary until we build our house on my parents land, I’m just dealing with it for now. But just giving you frame of reference. The SCUT class was designed for suburbaguys in the single digit average. Look up tractor time with Tim on YouTube. It’s amazing how much you can accomplish with a 1025R.

There are other makes too, kioti, etc. I’m just not familiar with any of those but they will have sub compact offerings too.

John Deere will carry a price premium no doubt!

Also both the Kubota and John Deere can be purchased with a cab if that’s a desirable option for you.
The OP should buy the biggest, strongest, tractor that can be readily maneuvered around his property!
I have yet to meet a tractor owner who said: "gee, I wish I had bought a smaller tractor"

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I do all the above (except Generator) with a B2410. I think the B2601 is the new improved version of the B2410. It's a 24 HP CUT. It more than likely will also run the generator, heck I baled hay with my B2410.

There are aftermarket cabs that can be put on a B2601 if you want it for winter. It may be overkill for 1 acre, but does everything on your list.

kehyler

Jul 17, 2021
Northeast
Don't the newest versions of the BX have position control? I had thought Kubota got away from quarter inching, but I could be wrong.
Well that would be an important point for a box blade maintaining a gravel driveway right? Anyone know the answer with position control in bx, b, and lx series?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I looked on the Kubota Canada site and it doesn't say anything about position control. Nor is there a picture of the rockshaft lever clear enough to see.

I had thought I read they had it when the 80 series came out, but I'm probably wrong.

My older B has quarter inching. You get used to it, though position control would be nicer.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Don’t let people talk you out of buying a PTO generator. Too many people are scared to use their tractors because they are afraid of putting hours on them, which is what tractors are made to do. A PTO generator is a great backup particularly if your power only goes out very occasionally because you only have 1 engine to maintain and keep running. I run a 12/15kw with my B2920 plus use it to move my 30’ camper around the yard including hauling it up and down a hill. I would choose either a B2601 or LX2610 to meet your needs.
Poster lives in the north. What usually knocks power out more in the north than a blizzard or a heavy wet branch and power line busting snowstorm. Pretty hard to run the generator when the tractor is busy removing all the snow.