Rear Tire Question

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Bought my tractor (L4701) at the end of December 2016 and put 70 hrs on it between May and November of 2017. Since then it’s been on my trailer at home until it dries up enough at my property to do more work.

Yesterday I decided to check the air pressure on the tires while doing a little post winter prep to it. Fronts were right on at 34 psi but the rear tires were at 28# psi and 30 psi. Tire specs states 20 psi max pressure so I adjusted them accordingly. You would think the tire guy at the dealership would know how to read and adjust the pressure within spec [emoji23].

Tires:
Firestone SAT II 23 Ags 14.9-24 Tires are not loaded and I know 20 psi is max pressure but what would be considered as low tire pressure? I don’t haul anything real heavy other than my 6ft implements (Cutter, Discs, Land Plane) heaviest is around 900 lbs. I would like to lower them some for maximum traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Tires with too much pressure will result in a rough ride - and not get as good of grip on loose matter as you mentioned.

It is somewhat strange to see that 20 psi - but that is what the spec calls for (I looked it up)

And yes - I would think that the dealer would have placed somewhat the correct PSI in there.....then again, we expect them to fill the hydraulic oil up to the dipstick line too!:D

Betcha the ride is different too?

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I expected them to get that right but I have seen worse before. Any idea how low could I go on pressure? I would like to go a little lower than max psi for reasons stated. It rode pretty ruff before so yes this will soften the ride some.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
If your avatar is what were are talking. How come the rear tires are not loaded?

If the rears are not loaded, I would go with 12 PSI for traction.

Pat

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Yes same tractor as in my avatar, I didn’t know about loading them when I bought it (first tractor) and never got around to getting them done. I will try them at 15 psi and see how it does. Plan to eventually get them loaded at some point.