Rear Tire going Flat.

SHUST

Equipment
L3540
May 15, 2023
Kirkwood, NY
I have a 2007 Kubota 3540 tractor with 420/70-24's on the back which are both loaded with beet juice. They are equally going flat and have been for so for a couple years. This year I am scared to load the tractor and need to do something about it.
The tires are loaded but I can't get air in them nor air 'out of them' ... need to check pressure but can't.
DOES beet juice fowl the valve stems????

Don't want to but might have to take tires off and down to a local place but with the beet juice, it's going to be a chore. Looking for recommendations.
ANDY

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Valve stem @ 12 o'clock? (that's where the air pocket will be)
Use an air gauge designed for liquid, just to be safe.

Sorry-that's all I got.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Are you sure that the gauge is depressing the valve core stem? If you have the stem at the 12 o'clock position and push the stem down slightly with a screw driver tip or pen, air should come out. Then you'll know.
I have one gauge that won't work on my wife's car but does on everything else. It just doesn't press on the stems on her car.

SHUST

Equipment
L3540
May 15, 2023
Kirkwood, NY
Gents, thanks for getting back to me... yeah, tire at 12 O'clock, tried 2 different chucks, Even called Kubota dealer to see if there was a special chuck that I should be using, and they said no - regular car chuck was the one to use. MAYBE I need to head into a reputable auto / tractor dealer and see if they have a 'better' air chuck, not sure.

SHUST

Equipment
L3540
May 15, 2023
Kirkwood, NY
Yep - My 60 gallon compressor can get up to 130 psi. I think that should be sufficient. The tire is almost ready to fold at the bottom which can't be good. I did take my backhoe leveler arms, put them down and lift the rear end up before I tried to put air in them so the tire's pressure what off from the weight of the tractor, then put the stem at the 12 position. Stems are clear and clean as the cap stays on them very well.
20230514_122254.jpg

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
if no air going in then could likely have gummed up valve cores.
I would pull the valve cores and replace. Then try to pressurize again. Pulling and replacing valve cores really easy.
Of course doing so takes some care and consideration due to the nastiness that pressurized beet juice can cause. (valve where air pocket should be, wait some time to drain down, tractor weight off tire, covered by large rag / plastic outside, preferably outside the shop on ground, wear shop cloths, away from stuff that could stain, etc...)
an easy job but potentially messy.

but can't you see around the valves, or valve cores, or beads, etc.. any sign of leaking juice?

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
yea, those are pretty bad... Since you have a backhoe, lift the tires in the air, valve at 12:00, unscrew the valve core, try blowing air in with an air gun with a rubber nozzle on the end. If that doesn't work, I would try hitting it with a pressure washer into the valve (no core). Or run a wire threw there a few times...

Reactions: 1 users

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Might just go ahead and remove the wheel/tire and lean it back to insure none of the beet juice is near the valve stem when removing the valve core.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Remember, if you remove the tire you are dealing with a lot of weight. Try to keep the tire upright and roll it to a place to lean it on something sturdy.

SHUST

Equipment
L3540
May 15, 2023
Kirkwood, NY
Well Gentlemen you called it.... VALVE STEMS - both were bad..... wew - thanks to your help, I dodged a bullet on that. Got the tires off, kept them upright - bought two new stems (just in case ; all of $11 each so no big deal) and it was in fact bad stems. I think over time the beet juice got to them. Swapped them out and all is good with the tractor again.... !

Thanks Again - Andy

Reactions: 1 users