Rear remotes lock up

Tgrund

Equipment
L4060LE
Sep 17, 2021
Ohio
My tractor has 40hrs on it. I had dual rear remotes installed at the dealer so I can run top and tilt. Multiple times now my rear remotes have locked up. If you move the lever it is a slight movement and then hammer feeling. Before I have shut the tractor off and restarted it to get them to work. Today I realized if I idle down the start to work again. I want to call the dealer incase it is something I can cover under warranty but before I call them I wanted to see if anyone has had an experience like this?

JoeBabbs

Equipment
L3800, FEL, BH, box blade, front tine bucket, hydraulic front angle blade
Jan 20, 2020
Ithaca, NY USA
I got a hydraulic angle plow that also locked up when new. It turns out the hoses were improperly connected. Both ends of a hydraulic cylinder got pressurized at the same time, rather than just one end. This caused locking rather than angling. Check your connections.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea sound like you have lines crossed up.
Like one connection on one remote and the other connection on the other remote.
The other possibility would be a bad or non opening quick disconnect on one of the lines.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yea sound like you have lines crossed up.
Like one connection on one remote and the other connection on the other remote.
The other possibility would be a bad or non opening quick disconnect on one of the lines.
I am trying to understand how a hose problem could cause multiple valve sections to "lock up".

BUT thinking about it, perhaps IF the feed line to the valve body, OR the power beyond connection, OR return to tank connection perhaps, was intermittently closing/opening I suppose that could be a problem.

BUT can't see how, if lines were mixed up somehow, how things would work and then not work anymore.

I guess that is what Wolfman was referring to in his last sentence...eventually I do understand I read. :oops:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am trying to understand how a hose problem could cause multiple valve sections to "lock up".

BUT thinking about it, perhaps IF the feed line to the valve body, OR the power beyond connection, OR return to tank connection perhaps, was intermittently closing/opening I suppose that could be a problem.

BUT can't see how, if lines were mixed up somehow, how things would work and then not work anymore.

I guess that is what Wolfman was referring to in his last sentence...eventually I do understand I read. :oops:
If you were to connect the rear remotes up to one hose on each remote it does weird things.
So like top link hoses to Post A of remote one and Port A of remote two, and side link hoses up to port B of remote 1 and port B of remote two.

Tgrund

Equipment
L4060LE
Sep 17, 2021
Ohio
I don’t believe the hoses are crossed as this does not occur all the time. It is sporadic. But when it does start it seems to last the entire time I am doing the job. How do I check the valve body to see if it is too tight? I am not familiar with this set up and all of this is new to me

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My tractor has 40hrs on it. I had dual rear remotes installed at the dealer so I can run top and tilt. Multiple times now my rear remotes have locked up. If you move the lever it is a slight movement and then hammer feeling. Before I have shut the tractor off and restarted it to get them to work. Today I realized if I idle down the start to work again. I want to call the dealer incase it is something I can cover under warranty but before I call them I wanted to see if anyone has had an experience like this?
The remotes on that tractor are mounted to the side of the transmission and the only hoses are the ones going to the rear outlets. Very easy to visually check that the two hoses on each valve go to the same outlet block. Like wise the hoses on the cylinders should both go to the same block.

What exactly is the nature of this lock up? Do you have cylinders connected to the outlets when this happens? If so do the cylinders move at all? Is this a hydraulic lock up or is it a problem with the the Rube Goldberg lever linkage? Does the loader work when the remotes are "locked up"?

In any event this is clearly a problem. The dealer installed the remotes and its's something they should correct.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user