Rear PTO Snowblower

PilotRPI

Sep 20, 2019
Hopkinton
So I got a price of more than $3k for the rear PTO snowblower, I think a 61 or 64" land pride. I see some online with decent reviews for $1500, but maybe that is too cheap? Anyone have another brand they are happy with? I'd rather save a bunch of money if I can, doesn't have to be matching orange. It is for an L2501.

Also, some people tell me it is a PITA to turn around, and others say no issue at all. I like the idea of the blower on the back and the bucket on the front at the same time to help with drifts and mounds, no swapping stuff back and forth.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Also, some people tell me it is a PITA to turn around, and others say no issue at all. I like the idea of the blower on the back and the bucket on the front at the same time to help with drifts and mounds, no swapping stuff back and forth.
Probably depends a lot on your health & flexibility. If you have neck/back issues, a RR mnt. may not be so friendly. If you're still limber, should be no concerns.

Like you, I prefer to have a blower on the back, and a FEL on the front, at the same time. :)

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
So I got a price of more than $3k for the rear PTO snowblower, I think a 61 or 64" land pride. I see some online with decent reviews for $1500, but maybe that is too cheap? Anyone have another brand they are happy with? I'd rather save a bunch of money if I can, doesn't have to be matching orange. It is for an L2501.

I have a Lorenz brand rear pto snow blower that's still going strong after 29 years. Instead of rotating augers across the business end it uses steel paddles to break up the hard packed snow and it does just that extremely well. I believe they're made in Minnesota so that could be an expensive solution to get it shipped. If you experience hard packed snow in your area it might be something to consider.

As for looking backwords: A mirror or mirrors just about eliminates that hassle until you need to look for traffic, etc. They're also great for watching for something coming up behind you. A wide mirror mounted on a bracket just above and in front of you really works great. It allows you to see the whole back end of the blower plus anything such as people or traffic behind you. I use an outside semi truck side mirror mounted horizontally in my home made B2650 cab. When I first bought my blower and used my old John Deere 750 to power it, the mirror was first mounted to a bracket that I fabbed up and attached to my ROPS to position it above and just in front of me while seated on the tractor. After I made a cab for the John Deere the mirror was remounted inside that. Since I've been using that mirror I've never had a stiff neck in all those years.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Our 3pt blower is an older Allied, Buhler 50" model. Same model can go by several different labels.

It was in extremely nice condition when we got it, and quite cheap as such things go.

Yes.. It is 50" and the tractor tires are 54" wide. It doesn't matter, it doesn't have to be a perfect surface on the first pass.

Yes.. You do have to look over your shoulder. But it that tires you out, stop a few minutes. Who says the whole drive MUST be cleared in one go.

Did I mention the blower was quite cheap all considered ??

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I have a Pronovost 64" blower on my B2650. Got it used really cheap 13 years ago from a guy that was trying to use it on a Ford N-series (not really suited to the task...)

Two years ago I took the feed auger out of it, sanded, primed and painted everything and replaced the auger drive sprockets and chain.

I'm 69 and don't have a real problem looking backwards, I can turn about halfway around in the seat and look over my right shoulder just fine.

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I can tolerate looking backwards using a rear mount blower, and prefer having the loader or ssqa plow on the front. $3k seems a little steep for a 3pt blower, but Landpride is quality equipment and not cheap.
There are plenty of high quality (and less expensive) blowers out there, particularly used. I have a LuckNow Canadian blower that I bought as "new old stock" from Michigan 18 years ago, and it is a beast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
3k seems pretty high for a 3 pt blower that size. I have a 72" agriease that has served me well. It was under $2,000 brand new a few years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to go used on one because I always see decent deals on selling sites. I'm only 34 years old so the driving backwards doesn't bother me at all but I can see how it would if you have back/neck problems. I'm in the same boat as you, I like having the loader available at the same time.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk