Rear PTO product that should exist but that I cannot find-

Otis H.

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 30, 2023
Sebastopol, CA
We all have rear PTO shafts that we would like to keep greased and clean. These days most are 1-3/8”, 6-spline, quick-connect types. There SHOULD exist a well made protective cover with a quick-attach button that you install and remove in exactly the way you install and remove an implement shaft. I’d prefer one made of powder coated steel but would be happy with sturdy plastic of some sort. A fairly exhaustive search has turned up absolutely nothing. Any tips out there?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
We all have rear PTO shafts that we would like to keep greased and clean. These days most are 1-3/8”, 6-spline, quick-connect types. There SHOULD exist a well made protective cover with a quick-attach button that you install and remove in exactly the way you install and remove an implement shaft. I’d prefer one made of powder coated steel but would be happy with sturdy plastic of some sort. A fairly exhaustive search has turned up absolutely nothing. Any tips out there?
My tractor came with a plastic sleeve that covers the pto shaft when not in use.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you mean a plastic cover (cap) to put on the stub shaft ou of the tractor get one of these.

I would think that if the tractor is newer the cover might be in the tool box.

If you mean a shaft that is installed into the PTO shaft to keep it clean in storage then I have never seen that type of thing. You could probably get one printed out on a 3D printer or use one purchased as new from the factory or a broken or used shaft from an older machine

No code has to be inserted here.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

Otis H.

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 30, 2023
Sebastopol, CA
I guess you could use one of these extensions to use as a storage device
I almost bought one thinking the same thing, but still hoping someone has addressed the need with a dedicated product. I guess i could use the stock plastic sleeve to protect THIS shaft and have it available as an extension if that might ever be needed. Good suggestion.

Last edited:

Otis H.

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 30, 2023
Sebastopol, CA
My tractor came with a plastic sleeve that covers the pto shaft when not in use.
Yes, I got one of those with my tractor. Sort of messy- I was hoping for a rigid, slightly looser fitting cover that would be secured by the quick attach feature leaving room for a healthy coat of grease on the splines.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes, I got one of those with my tractor. Sort of messy- I was hoping for a rigid, slightly looser fitting cover that would be secured by the quick attach feature leaving room for a healthy coat of grease on the splines.
Then you will have to make your own probably…
get a piece of pvc pige and a cap for the pvc you want.

cut pvc to length and then drill a hole in it to put a clevis pin through and the pin will hold it in place. So the hole will have to be off to one side. I guess you could probably use a large spring pin or clip.

then glue the cap on.

You can also install a grease fitting through the pipe so you can fill it up whenever you want

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
WHY are you coating the PTO shaft with grease?
You really shouldn't as all it does is attract dirt.
There is very little positive to doing that, but hey it's yours do what you wish.

No one makes a Hard lock on cover that I've ever seen, probably because it's not considered safe to do.
Buy the extension and cut the extension off of it, there done.

Reactions: 1 user

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Ferguson made one bolted on with the same 3 bolts that held in the rear bearing housing. Yesterdays tractor sold them at one time. They still do just looked / dose not bolt on my mistake looks like it just fits inside were the seal goes in. Look up ferguson TO 20 pto parts.

Last edited: