Rear counterweight for B2650 w/Cab

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Mr D.

Please don't think I am being critical of your project, I just want to give you some other factors to consider.

Rear counter weights are added for several reasons.

To increase the weight on the rear tires and in doing so increase the pulling power.

To counter balance the weight of a FEL especially when lifting heavy weights in the bucket.

To improve roll over stability when working on side slopes.

To improve roll over stability, the rear ballast needs to be as low as possible, certainly lower than the tractor's center of gravity which, on farm tractors, is quite high because the engine and transmission is largely above the rear axle as is the weight of the driver.

On a side slope your tractor is going to want to rotate around the lower part of the tire in contact with the ground. Weight being carried at or above the rear axle height is going to significantly increase the tendency for the machine to roll over.

This link is great for improving ones knowledge of the stability issue.

http://extension.psu.edu/business/ag-safety/vehicles-and-machinery/tractor-safety/e34

Dave M7040

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
When the guy delivered my B2650 he said it needed weight on the back to perform adequately. I have a Rhino blade, heavy duty, and most of my "work" was done with it on. I took it off and went to do some fencing. First I tried to pull an old anchor wire out of the ground and the back of the tractor lifted up and the wire stayed in place. Next I was driving through the pasture on uneven ground and kept loosing traction, had to put it into 4wd and use the diff lock to get over very minor obstacles/ruts/holes/etc. That rear weight of the blade really does make a difference in the performance of the tractor. Interesting about the position of the weight also, good to know. Just by trial and error over the years I found that the height/position of the FEL or back blade does make a difference in how the tractor works.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
To really do max loader work with the B2650 you need around 700lbs of counterweight. I started with 500lbs and kept adding until the tractor stayed planted even running around on uneven ground with a full 60"bucket load of heavy material.

View attachment 30625

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Kubota kid 1

Equipment
B 2650 Hsdc
Nov 29, 2017
Shelbyville, IL usa
For those of you that don't know. The rear steering wheel weights off of the older John Deere combines 4400 6600 will fit perfectly in our 13.6 -16 wheels. All you have to do is drill 4 holes to bolt to rim. Looks great when done when painted orange. Also sits flush with outside of tire.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
good info on where to place the weights.

Local dealer STRONGLY rec every tractor leaves with loaded tires, ESPECIALLY the BX models.

I need to add ballast to the front of my L175 - and the original 'bumper' devise is bent to hell by the last owner..so it's going to be interesting.

I'll see how it plows snow before deciding on the rear weights..have a 320 lb box blade on there now and the front bounces more than i like, and it's somtimes going straiht when I wanna turn, hence wanting more ballast up front. I can use the box blade for snow..for now anyway.

Easier ot add rear weight than front.

A friend has a new holland..not sure the model, but he's added weight to the tires front and rear, has a loader..it's 30hp or so, and he's got it to nearly 5,000 lbs..and says a bit more weight would be handy.

Seems kubota's are light as tractors go..so yeah, more weight more better.