Rear Blade

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Dude down the street has a 5 foot blade for $200. Wife says, "You have a bucket, a blade is a waste of money". Tractor is parked in the garage, now it has become a lawn mower. Sad.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A back blade has its used of you have ground to rade or a drive way to keep up

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Bucket and blade are a good combination - think back... wasn't she wanting your land reprofiled? That hill flattened out, or the duckpond dug and the spoil used to create the raised tennis court? That blade would soon pay for itself. Or didn't she express interest in living in a more country environment... you might need a blade and another tractor... :)

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
A back blade has its used of you have ground to rade or a drive way to keep up
This was my exact response. What will happen is 6 months from now, neighbor or a friend of hers from the horse community will find out we have a tractor, and recommend to her that a blade is a great tool. The one down the street will be sold, and she'll want me to spent double the price or more to get a blade.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
First implement I bought after my Kubota M6800 was a rear blade. Twenty ones later still have it and it is not for sale. Do I use it often, no but nothing else will grade like it on the 3 pth. Box blades move dirt good but only grade as the lift arms can be adjusted.

On rear blade be sure it is not light weight but not more than you tractor can handle weight and width wise. You want one that rotates to push or roll the dirt to each side and also can rotate it so either end can be raised. Using the two different rotation methods you can cut a drainage swell, build a slope around a ditch to help water to it and a slope around a barn to move the water away. You can use it level and still rotated so one end leads to move dirt to the left of right to fill a low area or a ditch dug to run a pipe.

Warning, they are not the easiest type blade to get to know. If you are grading a wash board road and you have the blade straight you will make it worst. You rotate some so it is riding on more than one high or low area at the time.

Fathers day is soon, do as I have done many times, tell her it would make a great fathers day gift IF it is the right size and weight for your tractor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just MHO grab it, you can always sell it later if it dont work out,,,, but they work good in stalls too!

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I've had a rear blade for as long as I have had a tractor, and I've had 4. The previous tractor I sold, the guy that bought it wanted the blade I had on it so I let it go with the tractor. When I purchased the L3560 I got the bigger blade w/hydraulic adjustment, man my life is easy now!! I've been grading my 1000' drive way for nearly 30 years now, and tried a box blade, didn't like it, sold it, back to the rear blade. Don't let it get away, almost a requirement to have one.

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
You can not grade with a FEL. I would not part with my rear grader blade.
It's easier for me to say nothing, and never attempt to grade anything for the rest of my life until some outsider mentions to my wife we should get a rear blade. It'll happen eventually. Plus, where I live now, I don't plant to stay. As soon as I have a year on the job, I'll be looking for a new job back in MO, since the wife changed her mind and doesn't want to move back to FL. Something about loving the kids and grandkids.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Better NOT to ask... on the big ticket items, I had to include her but it was stuff she wondered about... chipper and finishing mower. Top-N-Tilt with Rear hydraulics was several smaller purchases that squeaked by her...

She would kill me if she knew I spent 9k for 38 implements over the years :eek:

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Better NOT to ask... on the big ticket items, I had to include her but it was stuff she wondered about... chipper and finishing mower. Top-N-Tilt with Rear hydraulics was several smaller purchases that squeaked by her...

She would kill me if she knew I spent 9k for 38 implements over the years :eek:
I can pretty much do whatever I want as long as the lights stay on, fridge stays full, and life insurance stays paid. She might complain at me but she'll get over it.

What proof of this do I have? I have bought 4 motorcycles without consulting her first in the last 6 years, and we are still married. She could easily poison supper at anytime, but so far, she hasn't. I don't even know if the blade is a good fit for my tractor, it's color is rust brown and I didn't see any markings on it whatsover. Probably best I wait and get a new one anyway. I hear if you get implements that aren't orange it voids your warranty and the tractors explodes when you hook it up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: ...I can pretty much do whatever I want as long as the lights stay on....

every household needs THREE bank accounts

1) household expenses
2) his money
3) her money

As long as he and she contribute 50% to the household account, neither should be upset over what the other one buys with their 'spare change'

PapaJ

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
VA
re: ...I can pretty much do whatever I want as long as the lights stay on....

every household needs THREE bank accounts

1) household expenses
2) his money
3) her money

As long as he and she contribute 50% to the household account, neither should be upset over what the other one buys with their 'spare change'
We have 2 accounts.

1. Hers
2. Household expenses (My account)

I pay 100% of the bills, she gets to do whatever she wants with her disability, and I buy her stuff all the time. I can do whatever I want with my money, but I have to put up with her bitching for awhile, then bringing it up 14 years later on a random Wednesday. I will get a brand new blade when I'm ready.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Tell the wife she has a hat...she doesn’t need shoes!

But if it’s a plain blade...it’s virtually useless. If it’s a box-blade...go buy it and take the heat! It’ll be WORTH it.