Rear blade choose and weight

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin
Morning. Looking for advice on 2 related questions: choosing rear blade and making up for the rear weight i will loose when I remove the ballast box.

I have an LX2610 SUHSD with 60” lite material bucket / front loader, ballast box with about 500 lbs of field stone on rear hitch and BR 8749 R4 industrial rear tires.

Rear blade is to supplement snow removal efforts ( long gravel drive in SE Wisconsin) and other grading uses in nice weather.

my dealer suggests land RB1560 60” Rear blade $1,010.00 …. Or…. RB1660 60” Rear Blade $1,265.00

there is also a RB0560 that he didn’t quote that is much lighter (130 lbs vs 250/280 lbs).

Any experience or advice with of these?

I’m concerned about loosing the appx. 250 lbs I’d give up by removing ballast box and adding rear blade.

I have not plowed with OUT that ballast but it seems that is essential.

thoughts?

finally- how do I replace the appx 250 lbs when I remove the ballast box? Has anyone had success in aftermarket wheel wights? Other options?

thx in advance

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
The older Woods rb6 rear blades are 231 lbs. You could find one on Craigslist like I did. There is one for sale on equipment trader for $575. Private sellers can be cheaper....mine was $125.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If (when ?) you add weight to the rear blade, you have 2 options
1) concentrated on the center beam
2) spread out over the top of the blade

others may know which is best. I never needed any as my blade was 'old' and HEAVY.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The specs on the Landpride site say how much the rear blades weigh.

My rear blade is the taller model 2684 that is 396lbs. Keep in mind that the rear blade will likely be angled when you are doing snow removal. At minimum, I'd do a 72. I don't understand your dealer suggesting a 60. Do make sure you are going to clear your garage door if that's where you park it.

I went with the taller blade to be able to push higher snow easier. That may or may not matter to you.

Reactions: 1 user

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I have a RB1684 on my LX2610. When I have it angled, I still get good coverage past my wheels (with 2.5" spacers). Not sure of the weight. I bought my speeco quick hitch from Good Works Tractors and I believe they have a weight bracket to fit on the quick hitch if you want to add more weight.

Reactions: 1 users

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.

My rear blade is the taller model 2684 that is 396lbs. Keep in mind that the rear blade will likely be angled when you are doing snow removal. At minimum, I'd do a 72. I don't understand your dealer suggesting a 60. Do make sure you are going to clear your garage door if that's where you park it.

I went with the taller blade to be able to push higher snow easier. That may or may not matter to you.

Simple answer, that sales person has never operated a tractor with a rear blade for any amount of time, thus having no idea what should be recommended for that size tractor.
A 72" blade at a 35* angle only cuts a 58" wide cut. I don't know about all of you, but typically that would be the least amount of angle that I would use.

Recommending a 60" rear blade for that size tractor simply shows how much the sales person doesn't know

As far as the weight, heavier is better, but keep in mind that regarding ballast, that rear blade is further back than your ballast box, so less weight can provide the same results that the ballast box provides.

Here is the rear blade that I recommend for your LX in an 84" width.

Reactions: 7 users

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Simple answer, that sales person has never operated a tractor with a rear blade for any amount of time, thus having no idea what should be recommended for that size tractor.
A 72" blade at a 35* angle only cuts a 58" wide cut. I don't know about all of you, but typically that would be the least amount of angle that I would use.

Recommending a 60" rear blade for that size tractor simply shows how much the sales person doesn't know

As far as the weight, heavier is better, but keep in mind that regarding ballast, that rear blade is further back than your ballast box, so less weight can provide the same results that the ballast box provides.

I had my reply all figured out as I was scrolling through this thread, and then got to Brian’s post here. No need for me to add anything, he 100% hit the nail on the head.

Operating width when angled, check.
Weight concern, check.
Acknowledging the poor recommendation from a sales associate, check.
Providing a product suggestion that is superior, check.

Many of us have ordered from EA, and it’s very solid stuff. Buy with confidence.

Believe he did everything short of placing the order for ya! Good luck, let us know what you decide to do!

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Morning. Looking for advice on 2 related questions: choosing rear blade and making up for the rear weight i will loose when I remove the ballast box.

I have an LX2610 SUHSD with 60” lite material bucket / front loader, ballast box with about 500 lbs of field stone on rear hitch and BR 8749 R4 industrial rear tires.

Rear blade is to supplement snow removal efforts ( long gravel drive in SE Wisconsin) and other grading uses in nice weather.

my dealer suggests land RB1560 60” Rear blade $1,010.00 …. Or…. RB1660 60” Rear Blade $1,265.00

there is also a RB0560 that he didn’t quote that is much lighter (130 lbs vs 250/280 lbs).

Any experience or advice with of these?

I’m concerned about loosing the appx. 250 lbs I’d give up by removing ballast box and adding rear blade.

I have not plowed with OUT that ballast but it seems that is essential.

thoughts?

finally- how do I replace the appx 250 lbs when I remove the ballast box? Has anyone had success in aftermarket wheel wights? Other options?

thx in advance
Facebook marketplace:

7' Ford rear blade
$525 · In stock

Listed in Potosi, WI

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ditto on comments above. Your salesman doesn't have a clue. You'll need a 72" blade to cover your tracks when angled. The heavier, the better.

I have an old one (72") from a ford 8N. It's pretty light weight so I do have to be careful when toting around heavy buckets of material. Fortunately, it only stays on the tractor when snow is expected for me.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: clueless salesman

Local Ford dealer here really wants to sell me a new truck. Says it has 3.5 ecoboost engine, sticker says 3.5 ecoboost yet neither Ford CANADA nor Ford USA can I 'build and buy' such a truck ! Sigh......
meanwhile FOUR Galer employees bent over backwards to help me today.

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
If you purchase a lighter back blade, adding some removable weight onto it could possibly make it work for the ballast you want and also dig in better when needed. We add weight on our box blade for road work every year to dig up pot holes, otherwise the scarifiers just bounce along on top of the harder surface areas.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have two suggestions based on many years of rear blade use:

1. Get the heaviest you can find
2. Try to find one that can be offset by a pin or other means. Not one that you have to unbolt to offset.

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin
The older Woods rb6 rear blades are 231 lbs. You could find one on Craigslist like I did. There is one for sale on equipment trader for $575. Private sellers can be cheaper....mine was $125.
Thx to everyone for Ll the responses. Much appreciated.

i have been looking on CL for a while, had a couple of hits, but nothing worked out. Wrong time of year I guess.

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin

others may know which is best. I never needed any as my blade was 'old' and HEAVY.

thanks. Good advice.
Has anyone has success adding rear wheel weights to their compact tractor (like a 2610 ideally with R\8749 / R4 tires/wheels?)

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin

Good advice on width. Thx

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin
I have a RB1684 on my LX2610. When I have it angled, I still get good coverage past my wheels (with 2.5" spacers). Not sure of the weight. I bought my speeco quick hitch from Good Works Tractors and I believe they have a weight bracket to fit on the quick hitch if you want to add more weight.
Greater advice- Thx I will check out good works.

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin

Thx. Good advice—especially reminder that blade is cantilever back and less ballast may be required.
in fairness to the sales person—he actually does have a lot of hours on earth moving machines. I cant recall exactly but I may have spec’s 60” wide —trying to match to tractor width and not thinking about how the angle reduces the effective width.

test123

Dec 10, 2020
SE Wiscpnsin
I had my reply all figured out as I was scrolling through this thread, and then got to Brian’s post here. No need for me to add anything, he 100% hit the nail on the head.

Operating width when angled, check.
Weight concern, check.
Acknowledging the poor recommendation from a sales associate, check.
Providing a product suggestion that is superior, check.

Many of us have ordered from EA, and it’s very solid stuff. Buy with confidence.

Believe he did everything short of placing the order for ya! Good luck, let us know what you decide to do!
Agreed. Thx