RCK60-32 Rotary Deck Spindle replacement

wayneberge

Equipment
B2601; RCK60-32 rotary mower
Sep 25, 2022
barnet vt
I have a Kubota 2610 with a 60" deck. Hit a rock and major noise while deck engaged. Seems the middle blade spindle is wobbling. found part of a bearing on floor in shop after I removed the blades.

Looking for instructions on how to remove and replace bearings for same. thanks wayne

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
remove the old one and install the new.

pretty simple.

work shop manual has all the information you need

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
work shop manual has all the information you need
Learn something new every day! I did not realize there was a workshop manual for implements!

Ordered one for my mower deck on line this afternoon from an "unknown to me" source. Hopefully not a scam...had no success finding one at Messicks. Granted likely poor performance on my part...but it just did not show up after multiple tries.

Thanks Lugbolt!

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Oh crap.
If the spindle is wobbling, it sounds like it's bent.
I would also worry about damage to the bearing holder, which is bolted to the deck.
Inspect carefully for longitudinal cracks or missing metal.

I think, at the very least, you'll need to pull the gearbox for a look-see.

You may be needing a parts deck......

-Paul

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Remove the deck from the mower.
Remove blade and other things held on by the blade.
Unbolt the spindle case from the deck, probably from the top of the deck.
Rebuild the spindle or replace it preferably to eliminate any damage.
Replace spindle and blade and then deck onto tractor

If you mean how to get the spindle shaft and bearings out of the case, there is probably some type of retaining clip (circlip) on the top end to remove then pull up on shaft and bearings may come out. The bearing outer race may have to be removed from the stationary case by prying it out gently.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Clearly, Russell is guessing.

Again, if the shaft is bent, I don't think there is any alternative to replacing it. Of course, the center spindle is driven by the gearbox. So, that means disassembling the gearbox.

*If* that shaft is bent, that was a mighty immovable rock! Are you sure the "wobble" is not just a bent blade? That would seem more likely...

When I rebuilt my RC54, to remove the gearbox, I simply removed the snap ring (aka circlip, C-ring) under the blade that retains the blade boss to the shaft. When I lifted the gearbox, the shaft slid out of the spindle bearing. That was surprising, because on the other spindles, the bearings are pressed on.
The spindle bearings in all three housings are held in place by large internal snap rings.

Removing the pulleys from the shafts wasn't easy either, because the shafts are not tapered at that point. You'll need a gear puller. [You have to remove the center pulley to replace the lower seal in the gearbox.] I was surprised to see that the recommendation in the Operator's Manual for the RC54 is to replace the gear box seals every 2 years of use! Probably wise, because a gearbox doesn't last long without gear oil in it!

I thought about taking that snap ring off the shaft that is just under the top cover of the gearbox. When I did that, the gearbox did not want to easily slip off the shaft, and I thought better of it, considering that it might be difficult to line up the two bearings and two gears when replacing it. Especially since I didn't need to rebuild the gearbox itself.

-Paul

PS, I sent wayne the Parts List for RC54, thinking that might help him get his head wrapped around the scope of the job.

Last edited:

David L. Smith

Equipment
B7510 hsd, 5’ mower,4’ tiller,4’ brush hog. Middle plow and boom pole
Jun 10, 2021
Washingtonville,Ohio
I have a Kubota 2610 with a 60" deck. Hit a rock and major noise while deck engaged. Seems the middle blade spindle is wobbling. found part of a bearing on floor in shop after I removed the blades.

Looking for instructions on how to remove and replace bearings for same. thanks wayne
Just rebuilt my RCK 60-24 b. Ain’t to big a job. Got a kit off eBay . 100 bucks for bearings, seals and snaprings complete for three spindles. Picked up a cheap three jaw puller from local auto parts store which makes pulling the pulleys easy. Now I grease that bugger every time I change the blades. Take heart! Once you get going it ain’t much of a job. Mind you that my deck is an 04 year model. All the best Wayne

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
Just rebuilt my RCK 60-24 b. Ain’t to big a job. Got a kit off eBay . 100 bucks for bearings, seals and snaprings complete for three spindles. Picked up a cheap three jaw puller from local auto parts store which makes pulling the pulleys easy. Now I grease that bugger every time I change the blades. Take heart! Once you get going it ain’t much of a job. Mind you that my deck is an 04 year model. All the best Wayne
I have a RCK60-24B on my B2400. I have to replace the gearbox seals and was going to do the bearings as well. Is there only one bearing in each spindle?

David L. Smith

Equipment
B7510 hsd, 5’ mower,4’ tiller,4’ brush hog. Middle plow and boom pole
Jun 10, 2021
Washingtonville,Ohio
I have a RCK60-24B on my B2400. I have to replace the gearbox seals and was going to do the bearings as well. Is there only one bearing in each spindle?
2 bearings each on the outer spindles. 1 bearing on the gear box spindle. Reason being the lower bearing inside the gearbox assembly. There’s a great shop manual down load on the kubota website! And it’s free. All the best!