RCK48-18BX mower blades

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Has anyone come up with a decent set of blades for this mower deck. I bought the machine used a couple years ago and the PO had put some cheapo blades on it. Cut was so-so. Last year I purchased a new set that I thought was an upgrade but turned out to be the same as I already had.

Issue is I don't get a clean cut. Doesn't matter how sharp the blades. Funny thing is,,,,, in reverse the mower cuts perfectly.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
how is the deck leveled? Needs to be ever so slightly lower in front, like 1/16-1/8". Level side to side is imperative. It does not ride the ground all the time the wheels are just anti scalp rollers and that's it they should be about 1/4" off the ground. Are all the baffles still under the deck or are they rusted off or? Those are important. Mowing at full throttle also important. Less than full throttle and they cut like poopie! Are the blades turning the right way? They on upside down by chance? Belt slipping?

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Has anyone come up with a decent set of blades for this mower deck. I bought the machine used a couple years ago and the PO had put some cheapo blades on it. Cut was so-so. Last year I purchased a new set that I thought was an upgrade but turned out to be the same as I already had.

Issue is I don't get a clean cut. Doesn't matter how sharp the blades. Funny thing is,,,,, in reverse the mower cuts perfectly.
I buy my kubota mower deck blades from a Kubota dealer mostly. Seems like a simple enough answer.

Lugbolt gave advice on what you should do to get the deck to cut well…but descent blades are are certainly available From a Kubota dealer. Actually, I think I have bought decent blades for my 60” Kubota deck after market as well. So as Lugbolt indicated your issue may be setup and not blades.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just an afterthought, but I never paid much attention to mower setup on my bx2200, probably because I cut short weeds that look like grass.

But a year or two ago, I took the time to set up the mower according to the manual, and was surprised how much better the cut was…and still is now as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
how is the deck leveled? Needs to be ever so slightly lower in front, like 1/16-1/8". Level side to side is imperative. It does not ride the ground all the time the wheels are just anti scalp rollers and that's it they should be about 1/4" off the ground. Are all the baffles still under the deck or are they rusted off or? Those are important. Mowing at full throttle also important. Less than full throttle and they cut like poopie! Are the blades turning the right way? They on upside down by chance? Belt slipping?

Hey thanks for taking the time.

When I bought the tractor the deck was not even close to being properly adjusted. Was mowing nearly 2" higher on the left than the right. I took the time to go through the whole adjustment as per the manual. Made it way better.

All baffles are in place,,,, no real rust under there. Only had 90 hrs when I bought it, just turned 300.

Yep wide open mowing. Turning correctly, not inverted. I do not believe the belt is slipping as I'm pretty sure I would hear the difference when they slowed.

I do keep the blades sharp and balanced.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Just an afterthought, but I never paid much attention to mower setup on my bx2200, probably because I cut short weeds that look like grass.

But a year or two ago, I took the time to set up the mower according to the manual, and was surprised how much better the cut was…and still is now as well.

Yeah,,, like I said above,,, I did set it up as directed in the manual.

My "lawn" is also about 80% weeds, but I get the problem in fescue and weeds.

The blades I have are XHT and seem to be a high lift blade. Watched a couple vids and thye say the high lift blades keep the cuttings under the deck longer instead of throwing it out the shoot as soon as its cut.

Thanks