Radiator indicator light is on but radiator is full; what is going on?

homehank

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 22, 2018
Hancock
My display recently started showing this indicator on my BX2370, located just above the number of run hours indicator. There are no red warning indicators lights that come on otherwise. The manual says this indicates a low radiator fluid level, but my radiator is full when I check it. However, the overflow reservoir for the radiator is shown in the second picture, and there is a upper chamber and a lower chamber that are suppose to be connected. The pictures show the lower chamber with the High and Low level line indicators on it, and this chamber appears to be empty. So I thought this is what was making the dash indicator symbol come on. But When I filled the upper chamber with red radiator fluid poured through the yellow lid on this upper chamber, it seems this fluid does not flow into the lower chamber. The indicator light did not go off, and the dealership has suggested that I have a bad sensor.
Any help on this question, and can I wait until I bring in my tractor for the next major service before having the dealership fix the sensor, or am I risking damaging my tractor by waiting? I would rather not pay for a service just for fixing the sensor for this indicator if I do not have any other reasons to bring in the tractor.

Thanks
tractor display indicator.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG
IMG_3566.JPG

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I don't know your particular tractor, but these lights would typically indicate an overheating engine, which, one cause would a loss of cooling fluid. But you say its full. So maybe your radiator is clogged, bad water pump or ?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Are you sure the light isn’t for low fuel? Odd placement for the light.

I would figure out what the two bottles (chambers) are for. The lower chamber is empty and would be setting of a sensor. It does look like a radiator overflow bottle but may not be connected to the top bottle. Is that upper bottle for wiper fluid (if your tractor has a cab)?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You can easily check the fluid in your radiator but ONLY when it's cold. When cold you can remove the radiator cap. The radiator should be full to the point of overflowing if your system is working as it should. As the engine warms coolant expands and exits the radiator through the overflow. As it cools a partial vacuum is created and the coolant goes back to the radiator. A leak at the cap or a hose can prevent proper operation of this system.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Are you sure the light isn’t for low fuel? Odd placement for the light.

I would figure out what the two bottles (chambers) are for. The lower chamber is empty and would be setting of a sensor. It does look like a radiator overflow bottle but may not be connected to the top bottle. Is that upper bottle for wiper fluid (if your tractor has a cab)?
Knowing nothing about the tractor, if I saw that symbol, since it looks like a temperature indicator is part of it in my mind, I would think it was indicating temperature, rather than fluid level.

Do you have a manual for the tractor? Maybe that will tell you what exactly the symbol stands for. IF you already checked the manual and know the symbol represents fluid level, disregard this suggestion.

Might be time to get a workshop manual for the tractor.

homehank

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 22, 2018
Hancock
Knowing nothing about the tractor, if I saw that symbol, since it looks like a temperature indicator is part of it in my mind, I would think it was indicating temperature, rather than fluid level.

Do you have a manual for the tractor? Maybe that will tell you what exactly the symbol stands for. IF you already checked the manual and know the symbol represents fluid level, disregard this suggestion.

Might be time to get a workshop manual for the tractor.

homehank

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 22, 2018
Hancock
This reservoir is not for any windshield fluid, as the tractor has no cab.
The indicator is on all the time,, even when the engine is cold, so it is not indication an overheated engine.

I do have a manual for this BX2370 Kubota tractor, and it says when this indicator goes on, the fluid needs to be filled up to the Full line. That is why I filled up the reservoir, but the fluid only stayed in the upper chamber. The dealership said that these two chambers are connected.

They suggested a faulty sensor, but the manual says the fluid should be between the F and L marks on the reservoir.

The radiator is totally full when the engine is cold.

I am hoping someone has had this problem in the past and can help out here...
Thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The indicator is on all the time,, even when the engine is cold, so it is not indication an overheated engine.

I do have a manual for this BX2370 Kubota tractor, and it says when this indicator goes on, the fluid needs to be filled up to the Full line. That is why I filled up the reservoir, but the fluid only stayed in the upper chamber. The dealership said that these two chambers are connected.

They suggested a faulty sensor, but the manual says the fluid should be between the F and L marks on the reservoir.

Thanks
I have had this problem on an automobile. The sensor was a float in the overflow bottle and it was stuck.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you have not seen this operating description it might make things clearer.

I do not see any liquid level indicator.

forum BX2370 temp.jpg

I have not studied this system so these are quick comments!

Dave

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Looks like water temp to me.....but I don't have this tractor and am merely letters on your screen. (LOL)

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Thanks
Is your radiator screen clean or clogged with debris? A full cooling system will overheat if the screen is plugged with grass chaff and other debris.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have an earlier version of your tractor. I’m making some guesses.

I think you need to pull out your operating manual. I’m doubtful the light you’re talking about is radiator level.

No clue what it could be, but thinking it’s not what you think it is.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
That light is the coolant temp light. Unplug the wire from the sender, if the light goes out, it's a failed sender. If it stays on you have a wire or display panel issue.
The BX2370 does not have a coolant level light.