Quick Hydrolic fluid change question

katansam

Equipment
B8200, BF-350 loader, Woods BH750
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
B8200 HSTD...should I run and warm the Hydrolic s a bit before draining?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I always drain oil sumps when the oil is at operating temperature.

I usually allow sumps to drain overnight.

SDT

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
There are always two ways to do this ........

warm oil flows a LOT better out of a small hole than cold oil!
Down side - it is typically hot to the human touch and all that fun stuff working on a hot engine/tractor.

Cold oil does not flow well - but everything is cool to the touch too. Since the oil is cool and been sitting a while, all of it has dripped internally to the pan, thus all those little spots that it clings to have been dried a bit and there will be a little more oil in the pan.

The difference between a warm oil and cool oil change is probably minimal ounces at best.

I once used a vacuum to pull oil out of my boat's dipstick tube - small hose going INSIDE the tube....... yup - did it cold, yup that was mistake in that case too!

You hydraulic oil will have good low viscosity to begin with - so it coming out of the drain(s) will not be a problem either way.

In your neck of the woods - it might be better to have the oil at the operating temps - specially if doing it in cold climate like yours.

What oil are you planning on placing back in the B8200?

katansam

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
There are always two ways to do this ........

warm oil flows a LOT better out of a small hole than cold oil!
Down side - it is typically hot to the human touch and all that fun stuff working on a hot engine/tractor.

Cold oil does not flow well - but everything is cool to the touch too. Since the oil is cool and been sitting a while, all of it has dripped internally to the pan, thus all those little spots that it clings to have been dried a bit and there will be a little more oil in the pan.

The difference between a warm oil and cool oil change is probably minimal ounces at best.

I once used a vacuum to pull oil out of my boat's dipstick tube - small hose going INSIDE the tube....... yup - did it cold, yup that was mistake in that case too!

You hydraulic oil will have good low viscosity to begin with - so it coming out of the drain(s) will not be a problem either way.

In your neck of the woods - it might be better to have the oil at the operating temps - specially if doing it in cold climate like yours.

What oil are you planning on placing back in the B8200?
I have 5 gallon of SUDT2 ready. I just bought the tractor a few weeks ago. The oil is clean looking but want to change it so I know for sure what is in there

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
I would let the motor run for a moment to make sure the hydraulic pump is full of oil that way when you start the the tractor after the fluid change the pump has some residual fluid in it while it pulls oil from a potentially empty sump tube.

Just my two cents.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Hokie and SDT both gave you excellent hints….. hydraulic fluid is low viscosity and will drain just fine cold….and if you want to get every last drop out….. you can always drain it overnight.

The danger is opening the drain and having an evening shot or two…or more….of Jack… and forgetting next morning and starting ‘er up with no fluid in it.

The “very last drop” is insignificant if you think about all the little nooks and crannies oil can pool inside that tractor. In other words, I don’t think it’s worth the time and risk of leaving it opened up for a protracted time.

My suggestion: Pull the plug….let it drain while you have lunch…. and then go complete the job.

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Put the drain plug or dipstick on the seat along with the key if you let it drain unattended. It should help prevent from having an accident.

Reactions: 1 users

katansam

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
Hokie and SDT both gave you excellent hints….. hydraulic fluid is low viscosity and will drain just fine cold….and if you want to get every last drop out….. you can always drain it overnight.

The danger is opening the drain and having an evening shot or two…or more….of Jack… and forgetting next morning and starting ‘er up with no fluid in it.

The “very last drop” is insignificant if you think about all the little nooks and crannies oil can pool inside that tractor. In other words, I don’t think it’s worth the time and risk of leaving it opened up for a protracted time.

My suggestion: Pull the plug….let it drain while you have lunch…. and then go complete the job.
Haha...the jack comment convinced me to not do it overnight...

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
That idea of putting the dipstick with the key is good. if I leave a sump dry overnight or a couple days, I always remove the key, or in the case of power equipment take off the spark plug wire to remind me. I drained a leaf blower motor once and didn’t have the right oil after. Couple days later I forgot and fired it up. It ran for about five minutes and tied right up. When it cooled, I filled the oil, and it fired right up. Ran it for 20 more years, but it sure knocked and smoked a little.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Here’s another consideration: When draining lube and hyd systems…if allowed to stand for long periods with no fluid….the pump and sump pick-up tubes may dry and lose prime. This can be a problem with some designs introducing air. This can disable or reduce the system performance and can add wear/tear to pump and machinery.
When you go to an oil “quick change” facility (for those that do) the oil is usually evacuated or drained and immediately replaced. The amount of old fluid versus new is insignificant.
Hope this helps.

katansam

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
Here’s another consideration: When draining lube and hyd systems…if allowed to stand for long periods with no fluid….the pump and sump pick-up tubes may dry and lose prime. This can be a problem with some designs introducing air. This can disable or reduce the system performance and can add wear/tear to pump and machinery.
When you go to an oil “quick change” facility (for those that do) the oil is usually evacuated or drained and immediately replaced. The amount of old fluid versus new is insignificant.
Hope this helps.
My title may have been misleading. I'm doing the oil change...I'm not taking it to jiffy lube. :). I meant to say the question was quick...not the oil change...thanks all...for the input!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
My title may have been misleading. I'm doing the oil change...I'm not taking it to jiffy lube. :). I meant to say the question was quick...not the oil change...thanks all...for the input!
Your task was clear…. That reference to a quick oil-change outfit was only an illustration….

katansam

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
Well...got it done. Did it cold and let it drain to an intermittent drip. Pretty sure it was mostly empty. Just about overfill a 5 gallon basin....replaced the screen too although it looked clean. I'll save it for when we cant buy pats anymore.

katansam

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
Well...got it done. Did it cold and let it drain to an intermittent drip. Pretty sure it was mostly empty. Just about overfill a 5 gallon basin....replaced the screen too although it looked clean. I'll save it for when we cant buy pats anymore.

Attachments