Quick Hitch Question

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I recently purchased a quick hitch and ballast box from Titan attachments. I assembled everything and added the required category 1 to category 3 bushings on the lower pins, attached it to the tractor and then added a bunch of rocks as they are plentiful on my property. No issues with any of that and all was well. However, this evening I attempted to remove the ballast box to gain some additional room between the end of the tractor and the garage door but it did not go as planned. I flipped the handles on the quick hitch and lowered it down to the dolly that I installed it from and nothing. I was confused but figured it may need some additional height to detach so I added some pieces of 4x4 to the dolly and tried again but still nothing. It looks as though the top hook is loosening but not the bottom pins. Am I missing something simple with this? I attached a photo as well.

Attachments

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
There are two things to try. 1. Turn the knob under the seat to allow the 3 point to lower faster. 2. Push down on the top of the quick hitch and have someone hold the lowering lever in the down position at the same time. Your new pin adapters might be binding on the quick hitch and preventing it from releasing. As the pins get more use you should not have that problem again.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
There are two things to try. 1. Turn the knob under the seat to allow the 3 point to lower faster. 2. Push down on the top of the quick hitch and have someone hold the lowering lever in the down position at the same time. Your new pin adapters might be binding on the quick hitch and preventing it from releasing. As the pins get more use you should not have that problem again.
Thanks armylifer. Much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Try changing the top link adjustment. 3pt travels in an arc, the 3 hooks may not be in the same plane. Also verify lower tabs on box are square (90 degrees) from back of box.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Try changing the top link adjustment. 3pt travels in an arc, the 3 hooks may not be in the same plane. Also verify lower tabs on box are square (90 degrees) from back of box.
Thanks i7win7 and will do.

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
What i7win7 said.

I had the same issue with a disk harrow I had put similar cat bushings on. QH engaged just fine but when I went to drop it off it wouldn’t let go. Messed around and fought and fought. Daughter walked up said it looks like the top hook is tight. I twisted the top hitch link and the 3ph let it go.

Girls are so smart.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
What i7win7 said.

I had the same issue with a disk harrow I had put similar cat bushings on. QH engaged just fine but when I went to drop it off it wouldn’t let go. Messed around and fought and fought. Daughter walked up said it looks like the top hook is tight. I twisted the top hitch link and the 3ph let it go.

Girls are so smart.
Haha thank you Mak65 and yes they are! My wife often identifies the problem I've been struggling with for hours when randomly walking by... Different perspectives I guess.

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
The top link adjustment is what caused me the same frustration as you. Once I figured it out, working as planned.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Since the 3pt travels in an arc, smaller implements benefit from a parking stand. Larger equipment - pallets, cement blocks, treated lumber to get the connect/disconnect point near the center of 3pt travel.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Thanks to everyone for their advice as I was able to remove the ballast box this evening by adjusting the top link and the adjustable lifting arm. Still is not exactly quick but I'm hoping that adding some additional height to the dolly will help moving forward.

Attachments