Quick Hitch confuderation

kaiser715

Equipment
L2501/FEL/BH77 -- B2400/60"MMM/Bagger
Mar 17, 2017
Tramway, NC
I bought a QH for my L2501. After reading up on them, I decided to try out the harbor freight quick hitch.

First thing I try and hook up is my Landpride BB1260 box blade. QH compatible from the get-go. When I hook the lower larger upper link pin (per Landpride), and it's hanging firmly on that upper hook, it lacks bottoming out in the bottom hooks by over 5/8".

Vertical distance between hook bottoms on the HF QH is 15-1/2", with the top hook in the bottom set of holes. I can't find it right now, but did find a diagram online that showed the Landpride vertical distance pins to pin is expected to be 14-3/4".

I figure it will be a problem when I go to tilt side to side, it will have to make up that slop first.

Anyway, Thinking about getting the LP or SpeeCo quick hitch instead. Am I right in expecting either to fit better?

Thanks,

xnooby63

May 1, 2017
banks of the james, VA, US
Theoretically you can't loose investing in the LP QH. Figuring the manufacturer plans for their implements to work properly with their QH feature. Granted it will likely be more expensive than the HF QH, but saving the agrivation of thing not operating the way you expect they should. Good luck ***129304;

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Not sure if it will fit better but the Speedco is a nicer hitch. I always try to make sure the weight is on the lower pins and the top hook doesn't have any weight on it. Some times the pin in the top hook is just kind of floating until u start to work it. I can measure the top link in the lowest setting and see how far it is from the bottom

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My QH doesn't have any identifiers on it but I believe it is a Speeco. It works fine with 5 different rear implements. I only had to redrill the angle blade top frame. My QH top hook is adjustable with a row of bolt holes and 2 bolts to move it up and down but I don't have to move it anymore.
Now that everything is set up the same life is good. I only have to adjust the top link for angle sometimes but all QH hooks are solid link up with the pins on everything.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
kaiser715,
The only issue I see you having is that you have the top hook set too high, it does not need to be tight to the bottom.
Also the top pin and bushing should not be tight in the slot of the hook, I had one that had too large of a bushing and it makes it a bear to slide out.

Getting a more expensive hitch won't cure the maladjustment issue.

I use 2 harbor freight Quick hitches and they work fine and dandy, you just have to set them up right and then get all your equipment set right too. ;)

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I have the Harbor Freight one also. On my Land Pride box blade I had to use the spacer below the top link hook up and it works fine. I made a slight mod to all my other equtiment so it works on there also. The top hook the bushing does not need to go all the way down to the bottom as there is no way it can come out it if it is half way down. I took the top hook on my hitch and welded a 1 inch sq bar to it and redrilled the 2 holes where it hooks to the hitch. This pushes the top link hook back so I have some clearance and don't bend the 2 bolts that hold it on. It also makes the hook up easier

kaiser715

Equipment
Mar 17, 2017
Tramway, NC
kaiser715,
The only issue I see you having is that you have the top hook set too high, it does not need to be tight to the bottom.
Well, the problem is that the top hook IS set at it's lowest setting. Needs to be 3/4" lower to work 100% right.

I wonder if there is some inconsistency in production? I got one wayyyy out of spec?

kaiser715

Equipment
Mar 17, 2017
Tramway, NC
I took the top hook on my hitch and welded a 1 inch sq bar to it and redrilled the 2 holes where it hooks to the hitch.
That's what I think I'll do. Just rework the top hook so it can be mounted lower on the mounting bracket.

Bucky Badger

Equipment
BX2660
Mar 17, 2017
Madison
Well, the problem is that the top hook IS set at it's lowest setting. Needs to be 3/4" lower to work 100% right.

I wonder if there is some inconsistency in production? I got one wayyyy out of spec?
Could you drill more holes in the hook to get it where you want to be? I think the HF hook has 3 holes, but others have 4 or 5

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Yes, then sounds like they got something wrong. :(

kaiser715

Equipment
Mar 17, 2017
Tramway, NC
My top hook just has 2 holes.....maybe the hole-driller went on break early?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
That's what I think I'll do. Just rework the top hook so it can be mounted lower on the mounting bracket.
You don't need to mount it lower all the piece welded on does is push the hook back farther so it cannot bend the 2 bolts that hold the top hook on. The top bushing does not need to be bottomed out in the top hook as long as the lower pins are latched it. There is no way it can come off if it is only 1/2 way down in the hook

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
My top hook just has 2 holes.....maybe the hole-driller went on break early?

How many holes do you have in the bracket that holds the hook to the hitch. That is where your adjustment is. Mine has several holes in the bracket but only 2 in the hook

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Sometimes it works better to turn the hook over so the opening is down. But then you have to mount the hook to the quick hitch AFTER hooking the implement.

Bruce

kaiser715

Equipment
Mar 17, 2017
Tramway, NC
How many holes do you have in the bracket that holds the hook to the hitch. That is where your adjustment is. Mine has several holes in the bracket but only 2 in the hook
7 holes in the bracket. I have just been messing with it, works best for top hook hole to match to #2 from bottom hitch hole. Going to make a plate with a couple more holes to add to the hitch.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I have a Speedco QH and my tiller will not bottom out in the hook no matter how I set it..so far. It goes about half way down so I just leave it there and hope for the best, so far it has not jumped out...yet

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I bought a Speeco qh. Only one of my implements fit without any modifications. All the rest , I had to change something,,,width, hight depth,,,

kaiser715

Equipment
Mar 17, 2017
Tramway, NC
Buddy of mine bought an HF quick hitch about 2 months ago. His will adjust to about 14-5/8" vertically from bottom of lower hooks to bottom of top hook. Whereas mine is 15-1/2". Top hook made slightly differently, too.

Comparing the two, it looks like maybe they changed Chicom factory...and the design/blueprints they were given was just taken as a "suggestion".