Quick attach handle stuck (l3540) FEL

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I went to change from my bucket to my grappler this morning, and could not get the right handle of the quick attach to come up and pop the pin up on the quick attach. I tried to man handle it a bit, and then greased it and shot some WD on it. Waited a while and tried again, but still cannot pull the handle up on that side. It does not look bent, or out of whack in any way; looks the same as it does on the other side.

I have used the quick attach several times a month, without issue, so I wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

I have searched to see if anyone had suggestions on this, but could not find anything unfortunately.

Thanks

Al

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
thanks for searching in advance to asking. the *knowledgeable tractor nerds:D really do get burned out answering the same questions over and over...

anywayyyyy.. step back and look at the whole thing differently. Is the bucket or arms of FEL tweaked in any way putting a bind on things?

Move the FEL and bucket thru some motions and see if it unbinds itself?

*a title I a NO WAY claim to be

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I thought the same thing, and already tried that. Moved the FEL up and down, greased, WD, tried to free it from a bit of pressure, looked at arms of FEL (don't see anything out of the ordinary), then moved the FEL in several positions to see if the pressure would be relieved (unfortunately it did not work).

thanks for searching in advance to asking. the *knowledgeable tractor nerds:D really do get burned out answering the same questions over and over...

anywayyyyy.. step back and look at the whole thing differently. Is the bucket or arms of FEL tweaked in any way putting a bind on things?

Move the FEL and bucket thru some motions and see if it unbinds itself?

*a title I a NO WAY claim to be

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would re latch other side, and work bucket lie roll all the way under put light load on it and try unlatching. Perhaps locking pin got bent on underside?

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Thanks, I will try that. I'll report back

Bigger hammer or bigger pry bar. Gotta break it loose, and work the grease in...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
It does not look like anything is bent.

Do you mean try to put it up off the ground, and move it side to side? Thanks.

Thanks to everyone with suggestions.

I would re latch other side, and work bucket lie roll all the way under put light load on it and try unlatching. Perhaps locking pin got bent on underside?

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
I had the same problem with a skid steer. What worke for me was a 3 foot long section of 2" pipe. Put it over the end of the lever and see if that gives you enough leverage. Mine opened up with with minimal force applied. Make sure to clean everything well and lube till it moves freely. My problem was a combination of clay dust and limestone fines that hard end up like cement. Hope this works for you.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Shoot each grease zerk full then pour oil over the entire moving assembly.

Tap on the handle with a rubber mallet or dead-blow and see if it taps loose before hanging a cheater on it. Those handles will bend pretty easily in or out (toward or away from the tractor) but are hellishly strong if picked up in a straight line as intended---the point is keep that cheater straight in line with the direction of movement.

First relatch the other side and pick the loader up and work it after oiling it well. Perhaps set the bucket on a pallet or known good flat spot. If uneven even a slight bit those pins will hang up tight. When set flat, turn off machine and wiggle control to relieve pressure and let bucket settle to neutral. May have to shim one side slightly or use a shovel to take off just a little pressure from being out of alighnment. It'll come loose, you've just got to help it a bit.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Check around the lower edges of the QA, where it meets the bucket. Sometimea a small stone, or stick will imbed itself in just the right place to jam it up good...:D:D

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
So, I greased, WD'd, greased, and WD'd and let it sit. Could not move it. Tried a long bar and that leverage did not work.

So, I grabbed a 8 foot utility pipe (for outside electrical), and used it as leverage. Slid it right over the handle and boo, it worked great. Nothing was bent, I think it was just a bit snug in there. I re-greased after getting it free.

I guess Archimedes as right, 'Give me a (long enough) lever and a place to stand and I will move the earth'

Thanks everyone.