Questions after 50-hour service

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks again to all of those sharing their knowledge here. This is a great group and I hope to pay it forward.
I recently completed the 50 hour service on L2501 and have a few questions:

1) Changing the Oil: FYI I did both oil and full hydraulic fluid & filters. I warmed it up - not hot but flowing well when it drained. Let it drain a fair amount of time to just periodic drip coming out when I closed up, Used both plugs of course. Filled with exactly 6 US quarts and prefilled/soaked the filter as I usually do and did not spill any. Started in the garage to circulate and later ran and drove around to do final checks.

Question: Ended up a measured a half quart high after I brought it back down to the top dipstick indicator mark the next day. What did I do wrong or does that much hang up in this motor EVEN after being warm & w/ a good amount of drain time?

2) Front axle Fluid - 4WD HST: Checked this after several reports here of low or no fills. There was fluid and I could get some residue and it was a heavy gear oil smell & feel. None came out of the check hole on perfectly level so I decided to top it up with the UDT-2 instead of gear oil. The total capacity is 4.8 quarts and I got about a 3/4 quart in. There was a delayed reaction before it overflowed check hole. Let it settle and level and I guestimate that it took under a half

Question: Was this a mistake? I don't see where mixing approved fluid would do any harm in this instance other than modifying the viscosity a bit.

3) Minor misc. question: Does anyone know where this protective rubber trim guard goes? Fell down below hood hinge on right (oil fill) side as I was opening it? Looked for longer than I care to admit with good lighting and can't figure out where it belongs. It goes over an edge and has a distinctive shape. Took a second pic on the back rim by the stem for size reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Can't answer your oil questions. I believe the trim goes on the very front bottom edge of the hood.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Was it 6 qts in addition to filling the filter or does 6 qts include the filter?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Thanks again to all of those sharing their knowledge here. This is a great group and I hope to pay it forward.

1) Changing the Oil: FYI I did both oil and full hydraulic fluid & filters. I warmed it up - not hot but flowing well when it drained. Let it drain a fair amount of time to just periodic drip coming out when I closed up, Used both plugs of course. Filled with exactly 6 US quarts and prefilled/soaked the filter as I usually do and did not spill any. Started in the garage to circulate and later ran and drove around to do final checks.

Question: Ended up a measured a half quart high after I brought it back down to the top dipstick indicator mark the next day. What did I do wrong or does that much hang up in this motor EVEN after being warm & w/ a good amount of drain time?

2) Front axle Fluid - 4WD HST: Checked this after several reports here of low or no fills. There was fluid and I could get some residue and it was a heavy gear oil smell & feel. None came out of the check hole on perfectly level so I decided to top it up with the UDT-2 instead of gear oil. The total capacity is 4.8 quarts and I got about a 3/4 quart in. There was a delayed reaction before it overflowed check hole. Let it settle and level and I guestimate that it took under a half

Question: Was this a mistake? I don't see where mixing approved fluid would do any harm in this instance other than modifying the viscosity a bit.

3) Minor misc. question: Does anyone know where this protective rubber trim guard goes? Fell down below hood hinge on right (oil fill) side as I was opening it? Looked for longer than I care to admit with good lighting and can't figure out where it belongs. It goes over an edge and has a distinctive shape. Took a second pic on the back rim by the stem for size reference.

Thanks!
looks like what they put on the hood edge as stated above. Mine wouldn’t leave the hood latch because it was out of position. Pinched it tight and reinstalled, if it happens again I will use weatherstrip adhesive.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats on your new purchase.

Can't answer the engine oil capacity. That little bit of super udt you added to the front axle shouldn't matter. When you service it next time, I'd just stick with the correct weight gear oil. I had issues with using UDT in my old BX. Switched to gear oil and it really slowed down the seal leakage.

As others have said, that rubber strip looks like it may have come from the front edge of the hood. It just looks a little short. Perhaps it came from underneath the hood/up near the dash/cowl? I had the same thing happen to my hood gasket on the B2650. I wound up gluing it to the hood.

Just where in E. PA are you located?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
On the oil level, mine is the same way. I start with 5 qts in it, start it for a few seconds, check and top off. Roughly 5 1/2 qts.

front axle, wouldn’t worry about it.

trim, was it by the hinge, above the fuel tank?

It looks like it may be this one (red line, I can’t get a pic of it)

DB89BD81-2B86-454B-A9C5-1BB6C9F86428.jpeg

looks like the one circled in blue but between the hinge. Roughly 9-9 1/2 inches long.

pro tip- spill some fuel all over the top of the tank, then throw some dirt at it, keep them seals from sticking when you open the hood 😂

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Perhaps this is a sign that the dealer actually did check the oil level in the front axle and added gear oil, to what was put in by Kubota before shipping the tractor?

It has been stated here many times that Kubota uses UDT or SUDT in the front axles to prevent a possible mix up at the factory, if two different oils were used in the tractor. Do not know if this is true or not, but it seems reasonable.

I'm with FordTech86, I would not worry about it either...

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
Not clear on the filter pre-soakng: did you take the oil for that from the total 6 qts or did you put in 6 qts plus what you pre-charged the filter with?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

Question: Ended up a measured a half quart high after I brought it back down to the top dipstick indicator mark the next day. What did I do wrong or does that much hang up in this motor EVEN after being warm & w/ a good amount of drain time? 6 quarts would be for a dry engine, not how much an oil change takes. The dipstick is there for a reason.

Question: Was this a mistake? I don't see where mixing approved fluid would do any harm in this instance other than modifying the viscosity a bit. A new tractor should be shipped with SUDT2 in the front axle. Did you compare the smell and feel with the hydraulic oil to make sure?

3) Minor misc. question: Does anyone know where this protective rubber trim guard goes? Fell down below hood hinge on right (oil fill) side as I was opening it? Looked for longer than I care to admit with good lighting and can't figure out where it belongs. It goes over an edge and has a distinctive shape. Took a second pic on the back rim by the stem for size reference. It looks like one of three pieces along the rear edge of the hood.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks for all of the input. Learn something here every time

Yes, I counted the amount in the filter into the 6 qt. Just really surprising to me that a full 1/2 quart was still in there when drained warm and with long time to fully empty. I will know next time!

Wasn't sure it was shipped with anything in the front axle from the factory. I assumed that this was a dealer prep item from some of the other threads. It was definitely gear oil but not topped up. Was definitely not UDT2 having just practically bathed in the stuff:p.
Manual calls for either KUBOTA SUPER UDT-2 fluid or SAE 80 - SAE 90 gear oil

Thanks for the info on the trim piece - will check again tomorrow.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Manual calls for either KUBOTA SUPER UDT-2 fluid or SAE 80 - SAE 90 gear oil
Either fluid is acceptable, but the factory fill is SUDT2 as the tractor may be shipped to an artic area where 80/90 is too thick. Your dealer may have added 80/90 during PDI.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Yes, I counted the amount in the filter into the 6 qt. Just really surprising to me that a full 1/2 quart was still in there when drained warm and with long time to fully empty. I will know next time!
There is oil coating most of the internal surfaces of the engine. It doesn't all drain, and that adds up to a decent volume.

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
There is oil coating most of the internal surfaces of the engine. It doesn't all drain, and that adds up to a decent volume.
Not to beat a dead horse, but still very surprising to me given 40+ years of changing oil in all sorts of vehicles including my Ford 3 cyl diesel (i.e not my first rodeo:unsure:). I mean I never have others do it for me.

But... I'm new to this one so thanks again - Must be something with this design