Questions about new L45

tomato coupe

Equipment
L45
Oct 27, 2013
Colorado
I just bought a new L45 loader-backhoe a few weeks ago and had a couple of simple questions. I did not get the optional tool box. Can anyone tell me how big it is and where it would be mounted? Also, does anyone know the purpose of the hole located to the left of the steering wheel? It is in the plastic "dash" and is roughly 1.5 inches in diameter.

Cheers

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Is your machine 'new' or 'new to you'?

You need the Owner's Manual in either case. Also the Parts Book and possibly Workshop Manual. Each well worth the expense. Buy from dealer, pay the extra compared to eBay, and get better pictures you can actually see.

We have a similar machine different model and our Owner's Manual shows the dash breakout. If you have one of the newer machines where the 'dashboard' is alongside the right fender, the plugged hole alongside the steering wheel may just be a blank with the 'real' display mounted on the right-side dash. If you've got an open hole alongside the steering wheel I'm really curious what you find.

Please post back so we may all learn as you go forward. Pictures appreciated.

tomato coupe

Equipment
L45
Oct 27, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for the info.

The L45 is a new machine, fresh off the lot. It has the display panel on the right fender, with nothing on the front "dashboard" except the hole I mentioned. (Photo attached.) I have the Operator's Manual, but none of the figures show the hole in the dash nor the toolbox location.

I'm just curious about the intended use of the hole ... thought maybe it was for the optional cappuccino maker or something.

Cheers

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is your model an HST?
Looks like that hole is for a shuttle shift (forward/reverse) lever that would be on a Shift model.

tomato coupe

Equipment
L45
Oct 27, 2013
Colorado
The L45 is only available with an HST. Nonetheless, I think you are right. I looked at the brochure for the L39 (which is only available with a GST) and it looks like that is where the F/R lever is located. The two models must share some parts, including the plastic dash panel.

So, anyone know about the tool box location?

Cheers

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The tool box looks like it bolts to the loader frame? or maybe the backhoe frame?
tool box.JPG

TableRocked

Jun 14, 2013
Lampe, Missouri
First, congrats, I was looking at a brand new one yesterday too and am still drooling.....

What do you plan to use her for?

Did you get any other attachments with her? Hyro thumb? FEL hyro for grapple?

Did you consider the L39, L35, L48 or the M59, and if so, what convinced you to go the L45 route?

Lastly, if you don't mind me asking, what did you have to give for her?

tomato coupe

Equipment
L45
Oct 27, 2013
Colorado
I bought the L45 for clean up after our area suffered severe flooding in September. Once I finish with that, it will be used for routine stuff -- cleaning ditches, drilling post holes, loading manure, plowing snow, etc.

I didn't consider an L35 or L39, mainly because there weren't any for sale locally. I originally thought I would buy a B26, but then decided it would be worthwhile to get something bigger. If money wasn't an issue I would have gotten an M59 (or bigger) for flood clean up with plans to sell it or trade it for a B26 for post-flood stuff. The L45 has been a good compromise.

The L45 came equipped with the following:
Quick attach round-back front bucket with bolt-on cutting edge
48" pallet forks
Remote valve kit for loader
Backhoe with quick coupler and 24" bucket
Remote valve kit for backhoe
3-point hitch

It listed out for $54,000 and I paid $45,000.

Since then I have added the hydraulic thumb, which adds about $2,000 to the above prices. I picked it up yesterday and installed it last night, so I haven't used it yet. I was pretty sure I was going to get a grapple bucket, but things worked out where I didn't really need it. Eventually I'll use the front remote for a post hole digger.

Overall, I've been really happy with the machine.

Cheers