Question - Trouble shooting L2850

KRArizona

Equipment
L2850
Jan 27, 2015
Holbrook, AZ USA
Having trouble locating information regarding the "hydraulic filter suction screen" on this model, if it even exist on this model.
Symptoms include: Over heating of transmission fluid, sluggish power in terms of momentum, runs ok at first then fades off.
Recently "serviced" for filters, oil change etc - cannot validate what has been done or done correctly.
I am not sure where to start but thought if there is a filter suction screen it may have been over looked. Any thoughts?

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
There is a spin on hydraulic filter on the right side just ahead of the operators station. Did that get changed? If you had someone else do it there is a chance it wasn't changed. I don't know of any screen.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Having trouble locating information regarding the "hydraulic filter suction screen" on this model, if it even exist on this model.
Symptoms include: Over heating of transmission fluid, sluggish power in terms of momentum, runs ok at first then fades off.
Recently "serviced" for filters, oil change etc - cannot validate what has been done or done correctly.
I am not sure where to start but thought if there is a filter suction screen it may have been over looked. Any thoughts?
No it does not have a suction screen only a spin on filter.
Is it a GST model?
Does it have power steering and if so how does the steering work?
How about the three point?
Does it have a loader?
What hydraulic fluid are you running in it?
Any unusual or load noise?

Last edited:

KRArizona

Equipment
L2850
Jan 27, 2015
Holbrook, AZ USA
Thank you so much for responding.
OK no screen - then perhaps I just need to replace the filters and fluid - I just can't say positively that was done with the service - while I asked for it to be I did not stand there and watch.
Not a GST.
Steering is fine.
3 point is operational but nothing attached at the moment.
Yes a loader.
Tractor hydraulic fluid
No unusual noise at all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you saying that the tractor loses momentum? If you are then it sounds like you have a bad clutch if you are losing power as it heats up.
I blocked filter on a Kubota will not normally heat things up as the filter in on the suction side so I don't think that's your problem.
A restriction in the hydraulics will heat the oil, up but that usually involves some level of odd noise like a valve that is stuck.
And the oil getting hot really should not have anything to do with it slowing down.
Now if you have a brake that is dragging or set in park that will most certainly do it and it will heat the oil too as they are wet disk brakes.