Question about snowblower down-pressure

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Just finished installing a B2510 single-stage blower on my B5100. This unit is designed to work with a double-acting hydraulic cylinder, which it came with, to raise/lower the blower. I do not have all of the hydro parts to complete that setup right now, so what I plan to do is use the mechanical lift that operates my plow blade. This runs via a cable off the 3-pt to an arm on the front which lifts the implement with a chain.

The guy I bought the blower from, who is a member on here, said that the down-pressure from the hydraulic cylinder is necessary for the blower to work properly. Without it, it will want to climb. Makes sense. However, I have watched MANY videos of single-stage, tractor-mounted blowers working very well and it is clear that the vast majority do not have any down-pressure being applied. Most are manual lift setups.

I plan to hook up the hydraulics eventually, but the mechanical setup would be much easier on time and money right now. Do I need the down pressure for this thing to work right? I wouldn't be opposed to adding a little weight either if necessary. Thanks.

Grouse09

Equipment
B2650 Cab, snowblower, FEL, brush hog
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
My 2782 blower on my B2650 works better in the float mode and doesn't climb up. If I put down pressure on it, it pushes the front wheels off the ground leaving me with no steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD318

Equipment
R420, F2560
Oct 5, 2016
Augusta MI USA
Same as Grouse09, I always run my B2650 blower on my B1700 tractor in float to follow the contour of my paved driveway (I have a lot of elevation changes). The snow does not pick the blower up at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have no experience with that particular blower, but in general, I have found blowers tend to rise up only when being pushed into a hard packed bank. Then the augers try to climb the bank and pull the rest of the blower up with them.

Adding weight might help scrape a hard base, but will also tend to make the steering heavier when maneuvering with the blower raised. I'd avoid it unless absolutely necessary -- it will be gaining weight as snow packs in the nooks and crannies anyway.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
For most storms float does allows the blower to ride along the driveway.

Last storm left layer of ice with crusty stuff on top. Ended up using down force and sometimes lifting front wheels to scrape up the ice layer

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I very seldom use down pressure on mine blower, only if it's a packed drift or hard packed snow.I don't use the down pressure either as the front tire's lose there ability to steer. Most times if the blower does ride up a bit I'll just go back and re blow that same spot in the float position and it'll take it right down to where it should be.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I agree with the others you don't want down pressure. Using a chain to lift the blower and adding weight if the single stage blower is too light to stay on the ground should work well. You might want to make the weight easy to add and remove, as a light snowblower will be less prone to digging in and scalping or throwing rocks. The digging in and scalping can be a real problem early and late in the season when the ground isn't frozen.

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. I forgot to mention that I'm clearing asphalt driveway ~200ft with a roughly 40x40ft parking area at the top. Majority of the drive is fairly steep. Also plan to run this on my concrete/paver walkways. Guess I should get some plastic skids.

Anyway, I'll give an update after we get some snow. Thanks again!

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Update on this if anyone is interested. You do NOT need down-pressure on the blower for it to work properly. Got about 5" of snow tonight and it worked flawlessly. Even through some ~16" piles where heavy, previously blown snow accumulated it scraped right to the asphalt. Guess I have a brand-new Danfoss valve to sell...

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
You have two skid shoes on the blower. That is what is going to dictate how the blower is going to ride on the snow. Down pressure normally will not help unless you can overcome the surface area of the shoes.