Question about 3PH height

jdt81

Equipment
Bx2670, FEL, MMM, Woods rotary
Apr 26, 2018
Landenberg, PA
I'm new to tractors in general, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

How low should the 3PH go? I recently got a Bx2670 and recently bought a Quick Hitch for it. I plan on getting a rotary cutter soon. For now, I had planned using it with a Heavy Hitch receiver hitch to tow stuff around and put weights on for when I use the FEL.

I picked up some old Kubota 55# weights that I repainted (orange, of course). Unfortunately, they won't mount with the receiver hitch on the QH. I noticed my 3PH only drops to about 10" (measured from the ground to the middle of the lower pin). Is that normal? Seems like it should go lower. If not, I will have to put the receiver hitch up on something because I don't think I could lift it with 200# of weights on it. The other option would be to mount it directly without the QH. Its a Land Pride QH05 btw.

Thanks for any insights. This Bx is an amazing piece of machinery, but its a bit more complicated than I expected, and the manual I downloaded isn't much help.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Pulling a trailer with the 3 pt hitch is not the best plan.

First, the lift arms can raise with you having no control so if you are loading a trailer from the rear the hitch on the 3 pt will lift up.

Second, serious pulling should be via the draw-bar as it is located below the rear axle and is less or unlikely to cause your tractor to rear up and scare the crap out of you.

Dave

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Good to know, and makes sense.

Is there a problem carrying ballast on the 3PH?
No that is where to carry it.

However, you want your ballast to be wide and low not tall.
You want to keep the center of gravity of your ballast below the rear axle height by as much as possible.

Dave

jdt81

Equipment
Apr 26, 2018
Landenberg, PA
Any comments about the height of my 3PH?
Mine is about 10" off the ground when all the way down. Seems too high to get up under some implements.

Maybe that's why everyone keeps their implements up on wood pallets?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Any comments about the height of my 3PH?
Mine is about 10" off the ground when all the way down. Seems too high to get up under some implements.

Maybe that's why everyone keeps their implements up on wood pallets?
10" sounds about right, yes it does become an issue with the quick hitch, but as you pointed out it's fixed with a pallet. ;)

Last edited:

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I use the pallet solution for all my attachments. My local garden center sells them for $2 each

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Your 3 point hitch height does make a difference. I have a BX2660 that I purchased a JD 647 tiller for over the winter. I had looked at them on youtube on John Deere 1025Rs and figured BX should be pretty much the same. Well guess again. I went to use the tiller last Friday and found with the quick hitch I could not get low enough to hook it up. Kinda unhappy to say the least and set up the Honda 5518 and its tiller and did the tilling I needed to do. I ended up calling my brother in law who has the Deere 1026r and sold it to him. I delivered it and had him drop his 2 point and I could see the Deere goes lower. Just make sure to check compatibility before you part with your cash. Maybe I shoulda traded for another Deere?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Your 3 point hitch height does make a difference. I have a BX2660 that I purchased a JD 647 tiller for over the winter. I had looked at them on youtube on John Deere 1025Rs and figured BX should be pretty much the same. Well guess again. I went to use the tiller last Friday and found with the quick hitch I could not get low enough to hook it up. Kinda unhappy to say the least and set up the Honda 5518 and its tiller and did the tilling I needed to do. I ended up calling my brother in law who has the Deere 1026r and sold it to him. I delivered it and had him drop his 2 point and I could see the Deere goes lower. Just make sure to check compatibility before you part with your cash. Maybe I shoulda traded for another Deere?
There have been owners on this forum who put adjustable links on each side of their tractor instead of just one so they could lower the lift arms more.

Dave

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
You can adjust the upper and lower limits of the 3PH travel, at least I did it on my BX2230. There is a rod connected to the right side 3PH arm that has adjustable stops with springs on each one. When I raise or lower the 3PH. I just move the lever the direction I want, and when it gets to the limit, it centers the lever and stops.
I was able to adjust mine so that at the lower limit the quick hitch was just a couple of inches off the ground, and at the top limit it was a little short of the limit of it's travel.

Not sure if yours is set up the same way, but that's how mine works.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
There have been owners on this forum who put adjustable links on each side of their tractor instead of just one so they could lower the lift arms more.
Dave
Yes. By default I think it comes with 1 adjustable. Because I got the grass catcher, they throw in another adjustable link. It comes in handy. Lower the arms to get as close as you can, then just use the turnbuckles on the link to line it up exactly. Helps when ground is uneven as well.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Yes. By default I think it comes with 1 adjustable. Because I got the grass catcher, they throw in another adjustable link. It comes in handy. Lower the arms to get as close as you can, then just use the turnbuckles on the link to line it up exactly. Helps when ground is uneven as well.
It worked good while I had it. The 3 lower holes really helped, and made quick work of height/depth issues. Then I'd just fine tune it with the turnbuckles.

Attachments

jdt81

Equipment
Apr 26, 2018
Landenberg, PA
SRG. Thanks for the picture. It definitely helps.

My 2670 does not have this feature. The only adjustment I can see is the right lifting rod. I think replacing the left one with a turnbuckle will be the easiest solution. I'm guessing I could get another 2 or 3 inches lower with two adjustable turnbuckles.