Putting her up for the winter...

EverUpward

Equipment
MX5200
Aug 5, 2018
Southern Tier of NY State
I have an MX5200 at some property I own. After hunting season we drain the water from the house and don't return until March or April. The tractor will be left in the barn over the winter.

Im thinking of removing the battery and bringing it home so its in a nice warm house instead of a cold upstate NY barn... (Probably also helps prevent theft)... Can anyone advise any other steps that should be taken if the tractor will sit stationary for 4 months or so?

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
Block the clutch pedal in the disengaged positive so it doesn’t stick, fill the fuel tank and add some fuel conditione of your choice. Put some dryer sheets all over it to keep mice away, especially under the hood and near wiring. Taking the battery out and possibly keeping it on a tender is a great idea.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The owner's manual has a list of recommended steps that relate to a specific model. They include air up tires higher than usual, and jacking up tractor to keep weight off wheels. Tighten bolts and grease any bare metal regions especially exposed regions of hydraulic pistons. Change engine oil and circulate clean oil through engine for 5 min. Take all weights off tractor. Block clutch as mentioned above if you have one. Same with battery.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Let the PoPo know you have a tractor in the barn and will not be around for several months, and ask if they could drop by once in a while to check on it. And I would, as best as can be done, lock the barn up.
You might have good neighbors but people wander through and people know what is laying around.
Just sit in a local pub sometime and just listen to some of the talk. Maybe even take a wheel off and put it in camp some place or bring it home.
Anything to slow down creeps that pray on trusting people. Sorry to sound like a downer but around here, at least, a lot of things have, shall we say taken a walk. Plows, harrows, a baler, and an old farmall they went together. I pity if they get caught by some of the locals,, you know a backhoe and 300 acres kind of thing.

EverUpward

Equipment
MX5200
Aug 5, 2018
Southern Tier of NY State
Let the PoPo know you have a tractor in the barn and will not be around for several months, and ask if they could drop by once in a while to check on it. And I would, as best as can be done, lock the barn up.
You might have good neighbors but people wander through and people know what is laying around.
Just sit in a local pub sometime and just listen to some of the talk. Maybe even take a wheel off and put it in camp some place or bring it home.
Anything to slow down creeps that pray on trusting people. Sorry to sound like a downer but around here, at least, a lot of things have, shall we say taken a walk. Plows, harrows, a baler, and an old farmall they went together. I pity if they get caught by some of the locals,, you know a backhoe and 300 acres kind of thing.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

philbrooks

Equipment
Old B20, backhoe, bushhog, landscape rake, finishing mower, FEL Teeth, Crane
Oct 5, 2018
Evesham UK & Martin Slovakia
to winterise my B20 (i leave it in the garage unattended over the winter and it drops to -15 degrees C)

block the clutch - very important
check and top up anti-freeze
jack up and put on axle stands to save the tyres
remove battery and keep warm
kiss her good night for 4 months

thats about it, any other suggestions?