Purchase timing advice

Oliussw

Equipment
L series
Feb 20, 2022
Oklahoma
Hello group,

this is my first post but I’ve been reading a lot here and another forum for a few months. I recently purchased 6 acres for a home build My wife and three daughters currently live in town. The land has been cattle land for decades. It is about 4 acres pasture and 2 acres wooded. I have the following tasks to accomplish before we build later this year:

-Remove many trees, brush, and briars from wooded area.
-Move to brush piles and burn.
-Move cut and stack hardwood for firewood
-Spread fertilizer several times in pasture area
-Keep grass mowed
-Dirt work filling small wash and cutting in a driveway.

in the next 2 years I’ll build a barn and we will end up with ~50 fainting goats, a moderate garden, and possibly buy 5 adjoining acres that will need cleared.

Now to my question, I had narrowed my tractor selection down to a L3901 or finding a used L3560 open station. I want HST, 4x4, at least one rear remote and 3rd function for a grapple. What’s thrown me for a loop is the new L3902. I really would prefer the upgraded seat with armrests, brakes on left, independent pto, and more protective grille. They aren’t deal breakers but would be preferred. The rub is that who knows when I can get one. I want to purchase the tractor I will keep for 30+ yrs but also need one this spring.

My Options, as I see them, are to purchase an L3901 in stock at local dealer, wait for a L3902, or the wildcard purchase a JD 3032E with 1k hrs, loader, brush hog, box blade, and tiller from a friend for $20k to use this season and then sell it for what I paid and buy an in-stock L3902 when they come in.
what would you do?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The price on the green machine doesn’t sound bad. Is there a reason that is not sufficient long term for you? As soon as you start adding implements that is probably a tough price to touch on something else? If you have the green (cash) you could buy the green machine now and order what you want. Order the orange now and decide when it comes in…be up front with the dealer and ask if you get your down payment back if you don’t want the L…I suspect they can sell it just the same…that might cover you to have something now and maybe you like enough to not need something else? If buying something new I think buying what you really want might reduce any buyers remorse vs settling for something you don’t like the controls on… Just my thought. I have a buddy with the same green machine you are looking at and it’s a lot more tractor than my B. I’d take that over my B any day. It’s a nice machine paint color aside. However it’s most certainly not an MX(I am partial to my MX. but I understood you decided on L). Either way by the green machine or a new orange so long as they work properly you should be happy.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Good price on the JD3032. I just traded in my 2025R on the B2601. Checked retail on the 2025R with 430 hours and H130 loader: 2015 gen. 1 with steering brakes. About $17k. Dealer gave me $13k.

Guess the new L02s come with the steering brakes on the proper (left) side?

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I’d purchase the JD and when funds are available, purchase a L3560 or MX5400. Unless you need to fit the tractor into smaller areas, you’ll have enough property and tasks to justify a larger tractor and skip the L3901/3902.

Mike

Reactions: 2 users

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Get the deere, learn how to use a Compact tractor with it, then move up to a real tractor. This way you don't break the new one.

Just remember, real tractors don't have plastic hoods. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Oliussw

Equipment
L series
Feb 20, 2022
Oklahoma
After a couple of visits to the local dealer, I’ve narrowed things down to a L3902 or L3560. My salesman was willing to listen to what I needed and I believe is trying to get me into the right tractor for me and not just sell something he had on the lot.
He suggested on waiting for the L02 over buying a l3901 he had on the lot because he thought the added features on the 02 will be much nicer and hold value a little better than the 01. He quoted $30,900 for a L3902 4wd HST. Suggested I install 3rd function myself and save $500 on what they charge.

However, I fiddled with a L3560 they had just gotten in on the lot and like the larger operator station (I’m a big guy) and have heard the HST+ is a real nice addition. Just for giggles, I had him quote it and it came in at $31,770 4wd hst with 805 loader.
I think the $900 difference is worth it for the grand but I don’t want to keep increasing the cost just window shopping. I tend to do that when researching a purchase.
Forgot to add, to get around my timing needs, he made me a killer deal on renting a 3301 for the weekends until whatever I purchase shows up.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
After a couple of visits to the local dealer, I’ve narrowed things down to a L3902 or L3560. My salesman was willing to listen to what I needed and I believe is trying to get me into the right tractor for me and not just sell something he had on the lot.
He suggested on waiting for the L02 over buying a l3901 he had on the lot because he thought the added features on the 02 will be much nicer and hold value a little better than the 01. He quoted $30,900 for a L3902 4wd HST. Suggested I install 3rd function myself and save $500 on what they charge.

However, I fiddled with a L3560 they had just gotten in on the lot and like the larger operator station (I’m a big guy) and have heard the HST+ is a real nice addition. Just for giggles, I had him quote it and it came in at $31,770 4wd hst with 805 loader.
I think the $900 difference is worth it for the grand but I don’t want to keep increasing the cost just window shopping. I tend to do that when researching a purchase.
Forgot to add, to get around my timing needs, he made me a killer deal on renting a 3301 for the weekends until whatever I purchase shows up.
I am sorry, what is the sell feature of the l390x (is the 02 substantially larger than theb01?) over the 3560? Maybe I am misreading numbers or something but the l3560 (you are referring to the GL, correct?) is a lot more machine if I am understanding the weights / dimensions correctly? Not really sure what the question is for $900. Over long term ownership that would be incredible value.

Reactions: 1 user

Oliussw

Equipment
L series
Feb 20, 2022
Oklahoma
L02 are coming with independent PTO with the switch like grands. Brakes on left since no clutch, upgraded seat, mats, and some lever, Led lights, and steering wheel upgrades. Nothing earth shattering but the new pto and brakes on the left side are my biggest thing.

I agree that the grand seems to be the way to go. Just don’t understand why they’re so close together. Maybe I’m missing something??

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
JD tractor is a OK deal... implements make it enticing.
biggest selling point on this tractor is the yanmar diesel.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hello group,

this is my first post but I’ve been reading a lot here and another forum for a few months. I recently purchased 6 acres for a home build My wife and three daughters currently live in town. The land has been cattle land for decades. It is about 4 acres pasture and 2 acres wooded. I have the following tasks to accomplish before we build later this year:

-Remove many trees, brush, and briars from wooded area.
-Move to brush piles and burn.
-Move cut and stack hardwood for firewood
-Spread fertilizer several times in pasture area
-Keep grass mowed
-Dirt work filling small wash and cutting in a driveway.

in the next 2 years I’ll build a barn and we will end up with ~50 fainting goats, a moderate garden, and possibly buy 5 adjoining acres that will need cleared.

Now to my question, I had narrowed my tractor selection down to a L3901 or finding a used L3560 open station. I want HST, 4x4, at least one rear remote and 3rd function for a grapple. What’s thrown me for a loop is the new L3902. I really would prefer the upgraded seat with armrests, brakes on left, independent pto, and more protective grille. They aren’t deal breakers but would be preferred. The rub is that who knows when I can get one. I want to purchase the tractor I will keep for 30+ yrs but also need one this spring.

My Options, as I see them, are to purchase an L3901 in stock at local dealer, wait for a L3902, or the wildcard purchase a JD 3032E with 1k hrs, loader, brush hog, box blade, and tiller from a friend for $20k to use this season and then sell it for what I paid and buy an in-stock L3902 when they come in.
what would you do?
Go with a L4701. It has those options you seek.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
The lift capacity on the new L02’s have not been increased and neither is the HP so you are essentially looking at creature comforts. For $900 in my opinion it is a no brainer, get the grand L all the way! You get all those comforts and more loader capacity. $900 over the life of having the tractor is nothing.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Don't procrastinate too long, because prices are bound to go up, 0% deals will be going away with interest rates rising, and inventories are going to be getting shorter. You are standing in the pasture looking up at the gathering rain clouds, wondering if and when it is going to start pouring down on you instead of running for cover. I can remember people that waited last fall until it was too late and they got hit with the price increases that took effect on January 1, 2022. I saw what was happening, and I made the decision to purchase last February, and by March I had the tractor that I wanted. I was relentless looking for a used low-hour tractor, and when I found the one that was right for me, I bought it and then had a Kubota dealer install the cab. Asked the salesman about a used snowblower, and he had one just come in that day as a trade. I jumped on that. I found a snowblade 5 weeks later and being that the snow season was winding down, I got a good deal on that also. I sold all my old equipment within 12 hours of listing it on Facebook Marketplace. I got a fair price for the old equipment but had I held onto it for 6 months more, I could have made a more profitable sale for myself. Tractors and equipment are going up every day, and unless steel prices drop significantly I don't see tractor prices going down. Don't rule out a good condition low-hour used tractor with all the bells and whistles that you want. They are out there, you just need to be looking every day. Also, start calling dealers outside of your area, and one might have that new tractor that you are looking for in stock.
Take a look at this thread..... https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/latest-price-increases.56422/#post-530896

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Don't procrastinate too long, because prices are bound to go up, 0% deals will be going away with interest rates rising, and inventories are going to be getting shorter. You are standing in the pasture looking up at the gathering rain clouds, wondering if and when it is going to start pouring down on you instead of running for cover. I can remember people that waited last fall until it was too late and they got hit with the price increases that took effect on January 1, 2022. I saw what was happening, and I made the decision to purchase last February, and by March I had the tractor that I wanted. I was relentless looking for a used low-hour tractor, and when I found the one that was right for me, I bought it and then had a Kubota dealer install the cab. Asked the salesman about a used snowblower, and he had one just come in that day as a trade. I jumped on that. I found a snowblade 5 weeks later and being that the snow season was winding down, I got a good deal on that also. I sold all my old equipment within 12 hours of listing it on Facebook Marketplace. I got a fair price for the old equipment but had I held onto it for 6 months more, I could have made a more profitable sale for myself. Tractors and equipment are going up every day, and unless steel prices drop significantly I don't see tractor prices going down. Don't rule out a good condition low-hour used tractor with all the bells and whistles that you want. They are out there, you just need to be looking every day. Also, start calling dealers outside of your area, and one might have that new tractor that you are looking for in stock.
Take a look at this thread..... https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/latest-price-increases.56422/#post-530896
Buying a good used machine is a good option; if you have the cash to buy it. Otherwise the price difference between new and late model used isn’t significantly different to pass up 0% financing (while it lasts).

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
JD tractor is a OK deal... implements make it enticing.
biggest selling point on this tractor is the yanmar diesel.
The implements are $5k new, $3k used. If this is your first tractor, I'd be inclined to buy the John Deere and start using it. After a year, you'll have a better idea about specifically you want. If you want new, get the Kubota L3560.

Reactions: 2 users

Oliussw

Equipment
L series
Feb 20, 2022
Oklahoma
Thank you all for the advice. I ended up ordering a 3560LE from my local dealer. They had one on a sister dealership lot that should be on the way but they’re looking for a LA805 loader for it so that may cause a delay. Salesman I dealt with was great and seems to have my best interest at heart rather than just trying to meat a sales quota. He even told me not to buy one of their trailers because I could get one cheaper.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Are you going with the KTAC insurance? Putting a new tractor in the woods, I'd consider it.

Oliussw

Equipment
L series
Feb 20, 2022
Oklahoma
Are you going with the KTAC insurance? Putting a new tractor in the woods, I'd consider it.
I got a rider on my insurance for it. I don’t plan to use it off of my property, they beat the KTAC price, and my current agent is awesome and will take care of me.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Sounds like a great tractor. Make sure you post some pics when you get it.

I was looking at the different Kubota compact tractor models, and figured the L3560 would be the best choice for me when I want to upgrade.