Pulling T-Posts

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I'm not a person too much attracted to 'gadgets' but I've got a bunch of T-Posts I need to pull (by myself).

Normally (with help) I just use a chain, throw a couple of half hitches on the post and lift it out with the front loader.

But I've been looking at these T-Post pulling 'Plates' that can be used with either a chain or farm jack.

So I purchased one (a good steel one, not cast). It came as raw steel...so I primed and painted it (just because I don't like rust, I am retired and have the time). Had a short piece of Stainless chain laying around....so attached that to it.

Might have a chance this coming weekend to see if they are worth a hoot. But certainly looks like a person can just throw it on the T-post and lift the bucket to extract the post. We will see.

Anyone used of these before?

TPost Puller1.jpg

TPost Puller2.jpg
Tpost Puller4.jpg

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I think that will work, but I suggest attaching to a drawbar on the 3ph instead of the FEL. More stability to lift stubborn posts.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I’ve got the same with a few feet of 5/16” chain. No D-rings. Use the hook in the center of my bucket on my B2650 and it pulls the posts at an idle.

it’s really fast,but I think that the way you have it rigged will make it tougher to use. Its intent is to drop the deal over the post and then dangle the chain through the slot. After extraction, the chain comes out fast. My kiddo drives to the next post as I’m dropping the plate over it. She lowers the bucket and just touches the post. I drop chain through slot, and we repeat.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have the same plate except mine came painted black. We had a few hundred T posts to pull on a project removing old, no longer needed, silt fences at our church and decided that might increase efficiency over a chain by itself.

It definitely increases efficiency and, if properly applied, never slips. Wife and I used it on the hundreds of posts same as described by Chad D.

Having a hard time imagining how you’d use it by yourself without getting off and on the tractor once per post. I’ve done that, too when working alone. If you can (without leaving the seat) drive up to the post, drop it over the top, and slide it a little way down the post aimed in the right direction to grab the post; good on ya brother. I tried it a few times and I ain’t near good enough to do it more than about 2 times out of 10 if the ground is flat; 0 out of 10 if the ground is rough.

Handy tool if you have a bunch of T posts to pull.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I’ve got the same with a few feet of 5/16” chain. No D-rings. Use the hook in the center of my bucket on my B2650 and it pulls the posts at an idle.

it’s really fast,but I think that the way you have it rigged will make it tougher to use. Its intent is to drop the deal over the post and then dangle the chain through the slot. After extraction, the chain comes out fast. My kiddo drives to the next post as I’m dropping the plate over it. She lowers the bucket and just touches the post. I drop chain through slot, and we repeat.
Yes, MUCH easier to have a 'driver' and a person on the ground to hook up to the posts. My Brother and I do it that way when he is here to help. He drives the tractor and I just quickly wrap the chain around the post.

But I have a bunch of posts I need to pull right away....so won't have any help this time. My thinking (maybe in error) is that I can leave the plate permanently attached to the chain and run the chain through one of the hooks on the bucket.

Then just drive up to each post, place the plate down over the post and while still on the ground....lift the bucket to pull the post. I can then slip the plate off the post, mount the tractor and move forward to the next post. The plate 'should' grab one of the nubs on the T-post once it achieves a position of about 45°.

I've pulled T-posts by myself before just wrapping the loose end of a chain around it (couple of half hitches). Occasionally the chain will slide a bit before taking a 'bite' but not often. I expect the same thing from the plate...but we will see.

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
It definitely increases efficiency and, if properly applied, never slips. Wife and I used it on the hundreds of posts same as described by Chad D.

Having a hard time imagining how you’d use it by yourself without getting off and on the tractor once per post.
Handy tool if you have a bunch of T posts to pull.
^^^^^

No getting around the dismount of the tractor for each post. It is....what it is.

It won't be fast or convenient, but I'm retired and can use the exercise anyway.

Just has to be done. (y)

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If I was gonna build/buy one, I like this one the best.

Now I just gotta come up with an "anti-gravity" attachment, so I wont have to pick them up.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have to get off the tractor to deal with the metal plate I do not see how it can be easier (or faster) then the old chain method.

I never use a half hitch. Just bring the loader in position to the post, sling the chain around the post 3 or 4 times and drop the remaining chain. Walk over to loader control, pull post up, unwrap chain, get on tractor and move to next post.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I guess I don't get the point of the plate either. If you have to get off the seat to attach to the t-post, I'd just as soon use the chain.

There are manual t-post pullers. My brother gave me one that they used one time a few years ago. I still haven't used it.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you have to get off the tractor to deal with the metal plate I do not see how it can be easier (or faster) then the old chain method.

I never use a half hitch. Just bring the loader in position to the post, sling the chain around the post 3 or 4 times and drop the remaining chain. Walk over to loader control, pull post up, unwrap chain, get on tractor and move to next post.
It isn’t worlds faster but it is faster to slip the plate over, pull, slide out the post. If I had 25 posts to pull, I would just use a chain. With about 500 to pull it made a difference. That and if oriented correctly it never ever slips no matter how hard you pull on it.

One of those hydraulic scissor things to grab the post, pull it, and drop it somewhere without leaving the seat would likely be ideal but this thing is lunch money v hundreds of $.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've made up plates like that to hang steel targets off t-posts but have only pulled t-posts (many of them) using a hi-lift jack initially, and then the BX25 with bucket and chain. As others have said, it goes a lot faster with two people doing it.

If I ever decided to pull up the few hundred t-posts I have around the property line I'd either buy a tree/t-post puller from Land Pride like the one in the link below, or borrow a friend's puller that I still think is oversized for his L4060. He really likes it though and uses it to pull small saplings and trees out of the ground.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Here's a home made puller that leaves the tractor operator in the seat.
His DPF is going to plug up quickly from putt putting around at nearly idle speed. Needs to be at 2500 rpm at all times for efficient operation.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
His DPF is going to plug up quickly from putt putting around at nearly idle speed. Needs to be at 2500 rpm at all times for efficient operation.
Based on the other videos, I think it's a M5040. I don't think it has a DPF considering it was built the last time in 2010 and is Tier II.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
It isn’t worlds faster but it is faster to slip the plate over, pull, slide out the post. If I had 25 posts to pull, I would just use a chain. With about 500 to pull it made a difference. That and if oriented correctly it never ever slips no matter how hard you pull on it.

One of those hydraulic scissor things to grab the post, pull it, and drop it somewhere without leaving the seat would likely be ideal but this thing is lunch money v hundreds of $.
Correct and it allows for easier use of a farm jack to pull the post in places where you can't the tractor. It has advantages over chain.

I have always used the chain only method in the past and it works....so for those happy with that, great. Just thought I'd give this thing a work out and see for myself if it does what I think it will for my needs.