Pulling small trailer with backhoe attached?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Has anyone built anything to pull a small trailer or garden cart with the backhoe still attached? I would like to do this, but nothing leaps to mind.
Ideas?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It sounds like you might just be able to justify TWO tractors...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It sounds like you might just be able to justify TWO tractors...
Yeah, right..... I'm still catching flak about this one.:D

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I suppose it depends what you want, how big of a trailer, and how often you plan to do it. For occasional use of a smallish trailer I'd probably just hook the trailer safety chains to the bucket and pick the tongue up and go. Chain is quick and easy to adjust and plenty strong as long as you rig it safely.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I mount a trailer ball in the bucket of the loader when I want to move a trailer with an implement on the back. It is fast and easy to hook the trailer.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
If you are handy with a welder, put a trailer hitch receiver on the base of the backhoe. Repaint the area orange...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
What I had in mind was a small trailer or garden cart to pull while gathering firewood or slash from remote areas of the land.... that way I could use the FEL & trailer to haul more.
I mount a trailer ball in the bucket of the loader when I want to move a trailer with an implement on the back. It is fast and easy to hook the trailer.
Yup, got this setup for moving trailers around:

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If you are handy with a welder, put a trailer hitch receiver on the base of the backhoe. Repaint the area orange...
Sounds easy, but seems a little more daunting when I look at the area in question..... not much clearance, either from the ground or the backhoe swing, or the drop of the boom..... I guess I need more thought on the subject.

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You are right - there isn't a lot of room there. My old 3ph backhoe had lots of room. No other good ideas.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Is there any way you could bolt a hitch to the link bar between the cylinder and bucket??
A cylinder shaft is not meant to be tugged on...only straight in or out. You could easily bend the shaft of the cylinder making it worthless.

Oops read it incorrectly...nevermind

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I saw a pic on another forum that showed a crossbar welded between the two link bars where the curl cylinder ram attaches. It was used as a place to weld a grab hook for lifting; I thought I could attach a hitch ball there, but further study showed the curl ram on that one was on the opposite side from where mine is..... in other words, no go..... again. Maybe I could fabricate a "U" shape piece that would clear the curl ram, attach to the link bars, and mount a hitch ball there..... but I'd have to be sure it wouldn't interfere with digging operations, or maybe make it removable.
But I'm also not sure I want to subject the hoe to the stresses of pulling, and further study will have to wait, as the tractor is 150 miles from here.:(

wills670

Equipment
b2620
Jun 3, 2012
Virginia
It is a good idea but I wonder if extending the rear hitch so far back would cause you to get the ft. end light. If I was to build one I would make sure I did not hook up to anything very heavy.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It is a good idea but I wonder if extending the rear hitch so far back would cause you to get the ft. end light. If I was to build one I would make sure I did not hook up to anything very heavy.
With a full size trailer, you are probably right. I was not going to use anything large, (probably a garden cart) but it's looking less & less feasible.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Solution is simple, build a "long or longer" tongue onto whatever trailer your gonna use, add a mount to the rear of the tractor either on the underside of the first boom or to one of the lift arms of the 3ph drawbar style. Done right you could use the backhoe to help load heavy objects into the trailer as well while having independent movement of the BH too.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Hmmm.... maybe a "C" or triangular shaped frame that bolts on behind the swing bumpers, extending back past the bucket....it would cut the departure angle to nothing & probably snag on anything taller than a horny toad, but that might be worth looking at the next time I have the tractor within reach. I like the idea of maybe using the hoe to assist my aging back. (lifting stumps, rocks, even fill)

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Solution is simple, build a "long or longer" tongue onto whatever trailer your gonna use, add a mount to the rear of the tractor either on the underside of the first boom or to one of the lift arms of the 3ph drawbar style. Done right you could use the backhoe to help load heavy objects into the trailer as well while having independent movement of the BH too.
Bingo! Also, BXRay's second post is on the right track. Modifying a trailer tongue for your use would be fairly simple if you're not going to tow it behind the truck at highway speed. If you are, then I'd think about beefing it up for safety. But that being said, your idea is feasible.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So what about something that pins into pin hitch on tractor, bucket lip could hook it and carry it with a ball out behind bucket.