Pull power from battery or starter for fuse block M5N-111?

Wade F

Equipment
Potential Kubota Owner
Jun 24, 2022
Fresno
Hey All,
Looking to install a fuse block so I can add a sprayer control handset and light bar down the road. The handset will pull under 30 amps and the light bar will be around 10 amps. The company I bought my sprayer from recommended I pull power from for the fuse block from my starter instead of my battery. If so, would I pull specifically from the starter solenoid and what part of the solenoid would I mount fuse block wiring to? Not a lot of room to work with around the starter. Should I just go the battery route? Any direction is much appreciated!

Attachments

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd pull direct from the battery on a fused line or use a spare circuit in the fuse block if available. On my machine the battery is under the cab step so that would be the shorter distance.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
For the least amount of power loss, connect directly to battery post. 30 amps is a respectable amount of current,so the shorter the cabling the better.
It can get 'complicated' in that if wired 'live', there's always power to the sprayer and lights which may not be a good thing. Better to use relays,controlled by the ignition switch. There are some that have a fuse on them and can be 'stacked' (slide together ). However you install, be sure you can easily get at them in the future and take a few pictures, write down wiring and colours used.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree with Jay 100% - anytime you are adding a "new" circuit - add a relay to the battery, unless the new device is drawing very little amps.

the main reason - is something goes ............ sideways - you have only one place to look, and the sideways did NOT screw up the rest of the wiring.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
For the least amount of power loss, connect directly to battery post. 30 amps is a respectable amount of current,so the shorter the cabling the better.
It can get 'complicated' in that if wired 'live', there's always power to the sprayer and lights which may not be a good thing. Better to use relays,controlled by the ignition switch. There are some that have a fuse on them and can be 'stacked' (slide together ). However you install, be sure you can easily get at them in the future and take a few pictures, write down wiring and colours used.
Use a relay wired thru the ignition switch, and connect it to a fuse block like this one: Amazon.com: 6 Way Fuse Block,12V Blade Fuse 6 Circuit ATC/ATO Waterproof Fuse Box Holder with LED Indicator Waterpoof Cover for 12V/24V Automotive Truck Boat Marine RV Van Vehicle : Automotive

Wade F

Equipment
Potential Kubota Owner
Jun 24, 2022
Fresno
Thanks all! I will go with the battery approach. Anybody have a link a for a recommended relay? Thoughts on a 60 amp relay?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Hey All,
Looking to install a fuse block so I can add a sprayer control handset and light bar down the road. The handset will pull under 30 amps and the light bar will be around 10 amps. The company I bought my sprayer from recommended I pull power from for the fuse block from my starter instead of my battery. If so, would I pull specifically from the starter solenoid and what part of the solenoid would I mount fuse block wiring to? Not a lot of room to work with around the starter. Should I just go the battery route? Any direction is much appreciated!
I think what they are trying to het you to do is use the starter lead because it is already fused/ protected. The starter is already connected (through a relay) to the battery. So connecting your accessories to the battery is no different. If you did as they suggest, it would have to be connected to the hot side of the starter relay. Otherwise, it would only be hot when you turned the key to "start" and picked the starter relay.
IMHO, the thing to do is run a relay off the battery to a fuse block. You can then have multiple circuits for use now or later. It's a bit of work, but I believe it is the right way to wire things. I used this when adding an air compressor, aux fuel tank/ pump to the truck.

Wade F

Equipment
Potential Kubota Owner
Jun 24, 2022
Fresno
I think what they are trying to het you to do is use the starter lead because it is already fused/ protected. The starter is already connected (through a relay) to the battery. So connecting your accessories to the battery is no different. If you did as they suggest, it would have to be connected to the hot side of the starter relay. Otherwise, it would only be hot when you turned the key to "start" and picked the starter relay.
IMHO, the thing to do is run a relay off the battery to a fuse block. You can then have multiple circuits for use now or later. It's a bit of work, but I believe it is the right way to wire things. I used this when adding an air compressor, aux fuel tank/ pump to the truck.
Thanks so much! So this kit is basically a relay and fuse block containing 3 different circuits? If so I will order.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thanks so much! So this kit is basically a relay and fuse block containing 3 different circuits? If so I will order.
Yep. The relay mounts on the side of the block for a nice clean installation.
I could not find the specific one I ordered, as it came with a rubber top cover to cover the fuses and keep dirt out. Maybe check with them to see if it does, or if the cover can be purchased separately.