Public Service Announcement: don't set the wood's on fire please.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
Went outside with the dog today about 3pm. Smelled smoke and saw a nice column that looked close enough to be on my property. Luckily it was far away. Made me nervous enough to go get nosy. And I saw two people still actively burning while I was trying to find the fire. Even being very careful on a day like today here in WNC you could set the woods on fire. Be careful.

I have 3 or 4 substantial burn piles that have been drying all summer. I will wait for an inch or two of snow on the ground or just the right amount of rain this winter before touching them off.

Reactions: 7 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep I have 2 piles like that, we got enough snow last year to burn one, and that was a bit iffy. I dont worry too much about wet or not case i run around with the BX and keep pushing things together,,, its the bloody wind

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yeah, It's dry here in the MA states. I haven't wanted to burn for over a month. Last time was the last time we saw appreciable rain. Our county was in a burn ban for a while because of drought. I hope it doesn't take until the 1st snow to get rid of some of this brush.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
As my mom would say, it's drier than a popcorn fart. It isn't a good time to burn brush, here in the Shenandoah Valley of VA.
On a side note- a friend of mine was burning a brush pile at our church, about 200 feet away from a steep ridge. He used cardboard boxes and waste oil to start the fire, and as the boxes burned, debris flew away and caught the ridge on fire. It took the local fire department a couple of hours to contain and put it out.
My friend got in trouble/fined for using waste oil to start the fire- they found a used oil filter in the remains of the burn pile.
It didn't help that the pile was right beside a decent sized creek.