PTO Turns Intermittently While Driving

SmokeyBear20252

Equipment
Kubota L3901 HST 4WD
Aug 29, 2012
Hildebran, NC
I have a new L3901 with only 30 hours on the machine. I would probably have not noticed this problem but my wife was helping me with some work over the weekend and I happened to be walking behind the tractor while she was driving. When the tractor is going down a slight grade or even on level ground, everything looks normal. But when going up a hill where the tractor is actually having to pull, the PTO shaft turns intermittently. It doesn't turn like it's actually engaging but rather turning at at rate that seems to match the rotation of the wheels. Is this an indicator that something is wrong or is this a normal quirk on the new L series tractors? I'm going to call the dealer today as well but I wanted to get some other feedback in case I need to throw the BS flag on them. :D

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
I have a new L3901 with only 30 hours on the machine. I would probably have not noticed this problem but my wife was helping me with some work over the weekend and I happened to be walking behind the tractor while she was driving. When the tractor is going down a slight grade or even on level ground, everything looks normal. But when going up a hill where the tractor is actually having to pull, the PTO shaft turns intermittently. It doesn't turn like it's actually engaging but rather turning at at rate that seems to match the rotation of the wheels. Is this an indicator that something is wrong or is this a normal quirk on the new L series tractors? I'm going to call the dealer today as well but I wanted to get some other feedback in case I need to throw the BS flag on them. :D

Not sure if its suppose to do it, but my 3301 HST does that as well.

SmokeyBear20252

Equipment
Kubota L3901 HST 4WD
Aug 29, 2012
Hildebran, NC
Thanks for the reply, BCrouse. :)

Just got off the phone with my dealer's mechanic and he said he had never heard of this issue. But he said he would make a call to tech support. Apparently, they (tech support) offered no definitive answer. The dealer said they have several of them on the lot and they would test drive them and see if they can recreate what I'm seeing. He did say that he doesn't believe it's anything seriously wrong with the tractor. I'll post an update when I hear back from them.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
My '77 L185DT does this as well. My wife and I were standing on a railroad tie we were dragging with the 3PT and we noticed the PTO shaft was spinning slowly. We were able to hold it and it would stop spinning, so it's got to be some slight extra friction in the transmission causing some rotation.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

DT or HST transmission?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
. We were able to hold it and it would stop spinning, .

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
The preceding is not an OSHA approved troubleshooting method...:D