PTO stalling/slipping

grinderpete

Equipment
kubota l3600 gst
Jun 27, 2015
Texarkana,Tx
Kubota l 3600 gst 95 model. I am noticing the pto will stall or slip when under heavy load while bushhogging. I am being told it is the pto clutch going bad, and is an expensive fix. Can anyone offer some input on this problem? Thanks

grinderpete

Equipment
kubota l3600 gst
Jun 27, 2015
Texarkana,Tx
Yes, the bushhog has a slip clutch, but I think it's froze up and does not slip.

Can the clutch be adjusted without breaking the tractor down? The dealer is not giving me many options other than pto clutch replacement, to the tune of several thousand dollars.

The pto does not slip during normal use...only under heavy load.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The only clutch adjustment would be the pedal rod, it probably wont do you any good to even mess with it, but here it is.

Attachments

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Dear GrinderPete:

Before adjusting the TRACTOR PTO CLUTCH, are you certain your bushhog doesn't have its own BUSHHOG DRIVELINE SLIP SAFETY CLUTCH?

If the IMPLEMENT PTO CLUTCH is slipping it would act as you describe, especially when "under heavy load" as in your post.

Bushhogs usually have either (1) a shear pin or (2) a slip-clutch. The clutch looks sort of like two small dinner plates with springs between.

This topic has been explored a couple other times in this forum and it turned out in at least one case that the bushhog driveline slip clutch needed adjustment.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.