PTO speed for finishing mower

erik21788

Equipment
B3300SU, LP FDR1660, WOODS HC60
Jun 21, 2018
Thurmont, MD
I have a land pride FDR1660 that I had just bought to mow, instead of using a lawn tractor. I was wondering if its ok to use a lower PTO then what is on my tach? I wouldnt go too far below, but its not high grass or too thick, I mow the big field every other week.

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I had the exact mower for about 8 year and all I used it for was exactly what you are planning. I would always run it a couple hundred rpm below pto speed with no ill effects.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a land pride FDR1660 that I had just bought to mow, instead of using a lawn tractor. I was wondering if its ok to use a lower PTO then what is on my tach? I wouldnt go too far below, but its not high grass or too thick, I mow the big field every other week.
Can you plse explain your logic. Belt drives, including those on mowers want to run fast as they can. They transmit power much better at higher rpm's.

My Landpride of 30+ years, a 2572, says to engage pto at full pto speed to lessen stress on belt.

You are not going to hurt your diesel running it within its designed speed range as set by the fuel injection pump governor.

I am usually over 630 rpm on my M7040 pto.

Dave

Dave

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Dave,

Only advantage I realize w/ my IH is better fuel economy. The cutting results appear just the same at reduced RPM

Confused how PTO engagement at high speed projects less shock to mower?

I am more concerned about Tractor PTO clutch wear, will continue to engage PTO at idle speed. Do NOT have "soft start" pto.

In heavy grass I do operate at 555, which is the designated Tractor speed for pto on tachometer. Why 555? Tractor British made, no clue.

Mower is Canadian built walco-douglas 90 inch finish mower.

EDIT

Edritchey, know that current ehgine technology is centered upon lower RPM's The Whole Eco Pto speed is based upon operating non-demanding implements at lower engine RPM speeds while maintaining default PTO Speed, My fuel consumprion is reduced by a gallon/hr when reducing RPM's. My next tractor will have 540E capability.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Mower and tractor is designed to run at pto speed. Probably won't hurt anything to run at lower rpm but it can't perform as it should.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I pull a Land Pride 35-90 behind my L3901 and have always run it at 540 pto speed on the tach haven't had any problems yet. Owners manual says run at 540 I doubt you're saving much fuel unless you're running it much slower and I wouldn't think that would be to good on the mower or tractor.