PTO/Snowblower

nzzshl

Equipment
1982 Yanmar GT14(YM146), 2015 BX25, BX5450 snowblower
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi
L It has been way too long since my last visit. Since retiring from my career of over 43 years, it seems like I have less available time for myself. Guys, I have a question about my 2015 BX25 PTO. This morning, I was blowing the snow off of the driveway. Because the accumulation was less than 6" and the snow texture was fluffy, it of itself was no problem. Reaching the end of the drivew, I dismounted the tractor while the PTO was still engaged, thereby stalling the engine as I left the seat. It had been running at 2700 rpm to that time. Upon disengaging the PTO to restart the engine, the PTO drive to the snowblower is failing to go "live"......the snowblower will not run. I can barely see the PTO shaft where it runs through the hydraulic lift bracket on the front of the tractor but the shaft is not turning when the control lever os engaged. Shutting the tractor down, I noted that I can rotate the long PTO auxillary shaft by hand....it rotates very smoothly. If I rotate the snowblower auger by hand, the auxillary shaft again rotates amoothly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause? I am not aware of anything that needs to be reset due to the safety-related shutdown when I dismounted the tractor. There are no leaks and there were no unusual noises at the time of the shutdown. Tell me oh wise ones.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Is your blower clogged with snow? Possibly try clearing the rear chute, and check for blockages? If it jammed maybe it won’t want to reengage?

nzzshl

Equipment
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi
No, the chute, impellor box and auger box are all empty. I don't get it.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Is there any chance that you moved the pto selector from mid pto to another setting, such as just rear pto? Unlikely, but worth a look just for giggles.

nzzshl

Equipment
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi

Okay guys, this is all great stuff you have posed. The only shear bolts I know of are on the auger. Because the snowblower was functioning perfectly until I dismounted, there shouldn't be any issue regarding a shear bolt. If that were the case, the auxillary pto shaft would still be turning. Lastly, there was mention of the PTO drive select positioning. Now that may be what I need to check. I will look at it in the morning, making sure that it in the mid-mount position, not forward or rear. Yep, you guys are are likely onto something. Will report on the morning with the results.

nzzshl

Equipment
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi
Well, the verdict is in....I am a doorknob. Referencing the responses from Wingnut and Pat, I found the PTO Mode Select lever was set in the lowest position......rear PTO only. Apparently, after restarting the tractor, I had simultaneously pushed both levers down during my attempt to lock the PTO drive in. I don't remember looking at the levers during the process, that will be my first lesson. Second, I need to cure my blindness brought on by systems failure so as to better see the root cause. Of the three winters I have owned the unit, this is only the 4th time I have had enough snow to remove from the driveway. In that is the 3rd lesson: acquire more experience before assuming the autopilot operation......verify visually. Thank you guys for the supportive suggestions from all. I hope to return the favor. Chuck

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Well, the verdict is in....I am a doorknob. Referencing the responses from Wingnut and Pat, I found the PTO Mode Select lever was set in the lowest position......rear PTO only. Apparently, after restarting the tractor, I had simultaneously pushed both levers down during my attempt to lock the PTO drive in. I don't remember looking at the levers during the process, that will be my first lesson. Second, I need to cure my blindness brought on by systems failure so as to better see the root cause. Of the three winters I have owned the unit, this is only the 4th time I have had enough snow to remove from the driveway. In that is the 3rd lesson: acquire more experience before assuming the autopilot operation......verify visually. Thank you guys for the supportive suggestions from all. I hope to return the favor. Chuck
I always like a happy ending!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Chuck, "I am a doorknob" is a temporary condition. Cured with patience, knowledge and application of the knowledge.

Good you got the problem solved, and quit picking on yourself in public, we've all done similar things...we're human!!:D

Reactions: 1 user