PTO Shaft

rjv140

May 31, 2016
Pa
Hello. I purchased a 60 inch used snow blower that came with PTO shaft. I have a 2007 B26. They guy who I bought the blower off of had a 35 HP John Deere. I am having difficulty getting the PTO shaft to securely hook up to my tractor. The PTO shaft goes over the splines of my B26 PTO but the shaft gets hung up and stops just short before snapping secure. I do not want to run the blower until the shaft locks securely on to my machine. I hit it with a bunch of pb blaster and still nothing.
Any recommendations would be appreciated? Thanks

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Hello. I purchased a 60 inch used snow blower that came with PTO shaft. I have a 2007 B26. They guy who I bought the blower off of had a 35 HP John Deere. I am having difficulty getting the PTO shaft to securely hook up to my tractor. The PTO shaft goes over the splines of my B26 PTO but the shaft gets hung up and stops just short before snapping secure. I do not want to run the blower until the shaft locks securely on to my machine. I hit it with a bunch of pb blaster and still nothing.
Any recommendations would be appreciated? Thanks
Check for any burrs or rough spots on the pto and the shaft coupler. One small burr is all it takes to make them from sliding easily. Do you gave another shaft to try just to see if it locks? Also what kind of coupletr does it have? Sometimes the kind with the ball bearings get stuck and you have to poke or push them loose if it hasn't been used in a while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Are you getting hung up because the pto shaft won't extend any farther? Some pto shafts have a limit to how far they extend, whereas most pto shafts will just pull apart if you extend them far enough.

rjv140

May 31, 2016
Pa
Thanks for the responses.

Jblac, that is a good point. I will check for imperfections. I only have one PTO shaft, which has the ball bearings. I am going to keep using PB blaster, bc they might be stuck.

Wingnut, the shaft extends and has enough play to make the connection. My issue is with the coupler, which is getting hung up.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
It’s likely getting hung up because the three balls inside that lock the shaft are not moving. With the collar in the unlock position try moving the balls outward. They need to move freely.

Once they are freed up it should go on and lock.

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Just like wingnut said in his post also. Those ball bearing can be a bugger. I've had to free the up by pushing and moving around with a screwdriver or needle nose pliers. Usually it's when the shaft has been sitting for a while unused.
Thanks for the responses.

Jblac, that is a good point. I will check for imperfections. I only have one PTO shaft, which has the ball bearings. I am going to keep using PB blaster, bc they might be stuck.

Wingnut, the shaft extends and has enough play to make the connection. My issue is with the coupler, which is getting hung up.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rjv140

May 31, 2016
Pa
I attempted to free up the ball bearings but have been unsuccessful. They do not want to move at all with a screw driver. I even tried a sledge hammer to get the shaft onto the tractor however it continues to get hung up apparently on the ball bearings.

Is it possible to just swap out the End of the current shaft with a new end with ball bearings that work, or do I need a whole new shaft?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Go buy a quart of PB Blaster and put it in a bucket. Soak the entire end of the shaft for a day or two.

Then try to loosen the ball bearings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Auto transmission fluid will work also if you have any. Soak I that for a while. Check your shaft where it connects to the implement and see how it connects there, I had one I fought with like yours and one day I noticed the end that connected to the brush hog had a coupler with the button you pushed. I swapped the shaft ends around and no more problems

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
They also make repair kits for the locking collars also for about $60 if it comes to that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
PTO shafts are usually made to be taken apart as this COMER illustrations shows.

Take the shaft off and reverse it ( blower end on tractor), to make certain the problem is with the shaft.

Getting the collar to pull back far enough to free the balls is often the problem.

Soaking, as has been suggested, may loosen any mud and debris.

Dave