PTO Shaft cover removal

Medic13

Jul 10, 2017
Headingley, Manitoba Canada
This will sound stupid and I apologize. I’ve got a B2551 snowblower and am wanting to clean and grease the U Joints. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to remove the plastic cover from overtop the PTO shafts.

Attachments

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
You shouldn't have to take the cover off.
In your pic the U-joint is exposed, if you rotate it you should find the zerk on one of the 4 caps.
Usually they are behind the cover - then there is a hole big enough to get your grease gun in.

No stupid questions; hopefully, this isn't a stupid answer. :)

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Without seeing all sides of the shaft end I can't tell what type of locking the coiver uses, as there are probably a half dozen systems used out there. But usualy there's a lock tab, sometimes 3, that gets pushed with a screwdriver until disengagement from their locked position. With the 3-tab locking they all need to be released simultaneously to slip the cover off. Yours looks like a single lock tab, so pry that tab where it wants to go and try twisting off the cover with the tab in its new position. These kind have the lock tab sprung into place preventing the slipring inside from pulling out until it's rotated, which pushing the tab in allows. The slip ring will need to be pinned in place from inside while rotating the cover, maybe a screwdriver pushed against it from inside of the end will pin it in place so the cover can loosen.

(edits for spelling, grammer and clarity)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
No need to disassemble. Just turn it until you have the grease zerk in view and put your grease gun onto it and give it a couple of squirts. If you have a Lock N Lube grease gun tip, it will be even easier to do. I just did my snowblower driveshaft and couplers.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
No need to disassemble. Just turn it until you have the grease zerk in view and put your grease gun onto it and give it a couple of squirts. If you have a Lock N Lube grease gun tip, it will be even easier to do. I just did my snowblower driveshaft and couplers.
I agree, except he mentioned wanting to clean the unit too. If the cover comes off relatively easily that would be much easier to do. Also allows for close u-joint inspection of the old (from the pic) unit that he has.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If cleaning them is his objective before greasing, then a can of spray brake cleaner will be a lot easier than taking the assembly apart, especially since the plastic clips might brake decussating a costly replacement.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Don't use brake cleaner (especially the chlorinated stuff) There are a lot of plastics that it damages and makes brittle use WD-40 or electrical contact cleaner.

Medic13

Jul 10, 2017
Headingley, Manitoba Canada
thanks for the replies. I was hoping to get in and clean out the joints as well as a good inspection as I haven’t run the blower in 5 years, but will just try to clean them with WD-40 (thank for that too btw, would’ve used brake clean) since it seems like it’s going to be a big PIA.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Don't use brake cleaner (especially the chlorinated stuff) There are a lot of plastics that it damages and makes brittle use WD-40 or electrical contact cleaner.
I don't believe that the chlorinated brake cleaner has been sold in quite a few years.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
The tab shown in the pic pushes straight in towards the center. Taking the cover off is easy enough, getting it back on can be a bit of a fiddle. There should be a grease zerk on that collar to lube the plastic bearing where it spins on the shaft