PTO powered Capstan

Captain Rob

Equipment
B7100, PTO, 3 point hitch
Jan 7, 2016
Seattle, WA, USA
I would like to have a PTO powered Capstan on my B7100 to help tug logs out of the forest on my property. Has anyone seen on of these available or home built?

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
do a google search for log arch. can be made from scrap and made for atv,s
as well.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Last edited by a moderator:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Farmi, is the way to go for this. I have a real old one, no blade, just 2 stabilizer like feet. On a tractor as small as yours, even the smallest one can roll your tractor, if pulling from a side draft. I had my L2202 on 2 wheels, a couple times...:D:D

https://youtu.be/NpJJnLIf5Ps

Deaner70

Equipment
L3301, LA525 loader with QA, LAnd Pride RCR1860 hog
Aug 26, 2015
Shreve, OH
Find a Utility company that has some old capstains laying around and make yourself one. That would be a great way to move about anything with a little bit of rope and the tractor

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I made one that worked great for a different purpose. You need an emergency cut off right there because cat heads are dangerous and a rope can become "grabbed" especially if there is no load on it. Mine was geared down using chain drive. I made the cat head from junk rollers from a crawler repair shop junk box, requiring welding and turning it on a lathe to smooth up the welds. I powered it via the typical drive extension to a separate support.

As to danger, where I worked we used cat heads for pulling ropes in "jerks". Had a guy try to take up the slack of a 500 foot long rope. A sudden grab of the cat head and his grip on the rope pulled him onto it and he was killed instantly.

You can get a pull direction changed from 90 degrees of the tractor via a pulley.

Have you ever tried just using long ropes but using a cleat attached to the tractor rear trailer fitting? In either case it would pay to have a helper to steer logs away from snags, or you will have to do a lot of walking back and forth. I've snagged out a lot of logs from terrain so rough that no tractor could go there. The neat thing about pulling with the tractor is when things hang up, you can go there and pry it loose and the stretch of the rope will pull it free. No way to do that with a cat-head by yourself.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How about some pictures of these critters ,,it sounds interesting