PTO grinding when engaged?

BPineo

Equipment
l2850
Aug 10, 2021
Northeast
I have a l2850 from 1985. This is new to me, and does not have the dual clutch for pto and drive. I am alarmed at how much grinding and stress is put on the tractor by simply putting the pto engagement lever in either the 540 or 1000 rpm setting. Is there anything I can do to minimize this or prevent damage? Is something out of adjustment? my operator manual simply says raise or lower the lever for desired pto speed. any help would be great as this is my first orange tractor.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Are you depressing the clutch before engaging the PTO? You should be. Leave the engine at idle, depress clutch, engage PTO. Now bring engine up to desired speed. When disengaging PTO reverse the process, being sure to depress the clutch again. It is not recommended to just pop it out of PTO as that can cause excessive wear to the gears.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Here is my process to clarify what was suggested above.

Idle the engine. Tractor out of gear. Push clutch fully down. Engage pto in 540 Rpm position. If there is any grinding at this step you should adjust the clutch pedal or you may have to replace the clutch.
Let clutch out and raise the engine speed to the mark on tach indicating pto speed.
Push clutch pedal completely down. Engage the gear you want. There may be minor grinding here if you are impatient and don’t let it sit a couple of seconds after pushing in clutch pedal. Release pedal and take off.

The above assume you have something like a mower/rotary cutter/tiller that has some larger amount of inertia to start. Also assuming that the rear pto is the one under discussion.

I never use 1000 rpm pto since no implement I have is rated for above that speed.
Why do you use that speed on Pto?

BPineo

Equipment
l2850
Aug 10, 2021
Northeast
Thank you for the replies above. So it seems that I may have not been clear as to how I go about the PTO process. I do idle the engine, depress the clutch, and slide the handle into the desired position. The implement is the bush hog mower, and the other implement is the Belly-mount finish mower which requires the front PTO at 1000 RPM.
I have read in the users manual that the l2850 was supplied with a regular standard clutch to the transmission or (if equipped) a dual clutch which worked on both the PTO and transmission. This unit is not eqquipped with the dual clutch. Any further ideas? I have shut off the engine and been able to engage the PTO and restart the engine with the implement engaged, with no grind and no slippage of the implement drive line. I know this is not the correct procedure, however it is the only way to avoid the grinding.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I have a Massey Fergusson 175 that will do this to. It's got the dual stage clutch. I attribute the problem due to sitting and not being used enough , I'am certain it builds up with rust and causes the clutch to hang. When I was using the tractor most of the summer for hay making it worked fine. Now I only use the tractor's pto say once a year just for rough cut mowing. Rest of the time the tractor sit's in the shed. I've made the clutch slip a few times just to see if it would help , and it does help tp a certain degree. Of course I don't like riding the clutch so I just put up with engaging the pto while the tractor is shut off. I have worked at freeing it up by letting it idle with the pto engaged and the clutch depressed, off course you have to keep the pto from spinning . it would slowly clean up the clutch face and pressure plate enough that it wouldn't grind after that. I just don't do this now because of how little I use the tractor now. To keep the pto from spinning while doing the above was to have the mower on set it over a stump and then do the above. I just don't bother anymore , it's just easier to engage the pto with the tractor turned off.
Also this isn't a safe thing to do so what ever you do is at your own risk.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Idle the engine. Tractor out of gear. Push clutch fully down. Engage pto in 540 Rpm position. If there is any grinding at this step you should adjust the clutch pedal or you may have to replace the clutch.
Let clutch out and raise the engine speed to the mark on tach indicating pto speed.
Push clutch pedal completely down. Engage the gear you want. There may be minor grinding here if you are impatient and don’t let it sit a couple of seconds after pushing in clutch pedal. Release pedal and take off.
The above steps appear to be suggesting engaging the PTO at full speed. I'm pretty sure that's not what you're saying though.

The parts that suggest that to me: "Engage pto in 540 Rpm position", then after raise engine speed: "Push clutch pedal completely down ... Release pedal"

Could you please clarify?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The above steps appear to be suggesting engaging the PTO at full speed. I'm pretty sure that's not what you're saying though.

The parts that suggest that to me: "Engage pto in 540 Rpm position", then after raise engine speed: "Push clutch pedal completely down ... Release pedal"

Could you please clarify?
Push in the clutch.
Have tractor at idle
Place the pto lever in the position to set the desired pto speed
Release clutch
Raise engine speed to the engine RPM required to achieve pto speed
Push in clutch
Wait a few seconds
Engage transmission gear desired
Release clutch slowly
Take off and do work needed

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Clarifying a little the above. To me, you idle the tractor, push in clutch, engage PTO, release clutch. At this point your implement will start spinning. If you can't get to this point without grinding then:

1. You didn't wait for the PTO to stop spinning before engaging - so "push in clutch, wait for a few seconds, engage PTO, release clutch" is the clarification needed. OR

2. That isn't how your PTO clutch works. It could mean that it's mal-adjusted. One way to find out would be to idle your tractor, press in the clutch, and have someone look at your rear PTO to see if it's spinning. If it is then your clutch isn't stopping the PTO - and you need to think some more about it.

Basically, if it's grinding when you try to engage the PTO selector (between rear and mid-PTO) then it means the PTO drive is still spinning. So you need to do something different.

I don't know much about a dual stage clutch, but if you have one, then the name of it would suggest to me that you push it in a bit and it clutches the drive. Push it in more, and it clutches the PTO. So if it were out of adjustment, it's plausible that you're not pushing it in far enough / it's out of adjustment and so you can't push it in far enough to engage the PTO clutch portion.

I see this information here, but not sure if it's relevant:
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/l2850-dual-stage-clutch-adjustment.268778/

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
With an implement attached, start the engine with the PTO engaged and clutch depressed. Does the implement still run? If so, then the clutch is not releasing.

How certain are you that this tractor did not have the live PTO option? With a 2-stage clutch it is possible that someone may have adjusted things to compensate for a worn drive clutch to the point where the PTO clutch will no longer disengage.