PTO Generator

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
45kva:eek: wow you could almost run a smal village off that,,lol,, Thanks for the inof, I do have gas and was thinking maybe of a new tri fuel, in the 12 to 15 kva ranges pleanty for my place haveing run for years on a 5.5 kva we just dont turn every thing on,,and as long as I have power for the well and freezer and fridge a couple lights and the blower for the wood stove I'm good to go. However I would like to find one that is shall we say a bit cleaner on the output, I hung a scope on the old beast just for kicks and:eek:, Im not sure how any thing runs,, to say its not clean would be an under statement

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
We laughingly tell people we could run a small hospital if we had too. Couple years ago our local hospital dropped off after just a few hours when their day tank ran dry. The entire county was dark. I'd rather not do that drill again.

I've seen many cut-rate installations (shoddy equipment) that outputs such ratty power that uninterruptable power supplies (aka computer UPSs) continuously trip offline. I don't have any idea how modern LCD/plasma TVs are handling such junky power. Not well I suspect.

For those that ask our assistance and with whom we interact our advice has consistently been to buy all the quality kVAs you can possibly afford and do it 'right'. Low speed engine, minimum 4-pole generator head, good controls (switching, output, engine systems).

Natural gas seems more problematic than LPG: in a storm event the system can be damaged or flooded and then take days to get back under control. Same is true for propane: tanks float off in a flood or get redistributed by a tornado.

For the size you mention, consider a gas engine-driven welder. Lincoln and Miller both produce nice high quality units with real copper windings, ruggedized, multi-fuel (convertable), and you get a welder to use otherwise around the place. Hardwire a 50-A male plug off a transfer switch and roll the welder up and plug in. Make sure the machine actually outputs 240-VAC in the form of two each 120-VAC circuits (120 from each 'leg' to neutral; 240 'leg' to leg') just like the grid.

Good luck and I hope you stay powered up.

/s/Stubbyie

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I did a whole bunch of research and a good sponsor here has a made in the USA line that simply can't be beat along with a 5 year home or commercial warranty. And guess what guys, they have the best prices available and so much less than the import junk it's unreal.
Here's what I bought for my B3030:
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Voltmaster-PTO15-12-PTO-Generator/p5390.html

I'm a big time hoarder of "things" that can be used to fix or make other "things" ( if and when I ever get a "round to it" ) and opted to build my own 3pt mount that I need to post pictures of. Other than buying the PTO shaft which was way less than half here locally, paint was the only purchase I had to make. 12k Made in the good old USA for $1280.00 delivered to by door was hundreds cheaper than the cheap junk we're all more than familiar with. Tech support if needed is outstanding too.
Al

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Harbor Freight has the linked generator for $1200 periodically - about 4-5 times a year.
http://www.harborfreight.com/16000-...ft_adv=10062&gclid=COmmnNTg1qsCFUw0QgodKm6nOA
I'd tend to go along with you, however, and get the USA model, from the manufacturer. 12KVA is a good number. If you ever have a problem, you will be talking to someone that knows his stuff, not a minimum wage store clerk.
Good choice! Do give us pictures of your mount, and a word or two about performance!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
A quote from above:

"A PTO driven gear box is the serious setup and in my research nobody listed anything running off the mid/front PTO shaft due to the difference in speed that it turns. Nearly all tractors are at 540 rpm PTO speed and can maintain it by the engine governor quite well if matched to the 2HP per KW formula."
Al

Making a geared change of the 540 rpm up to what the generator needs is beyond most of us, so look to one already made for this.

Take a look at the Northern Tool catalogs. They have three different ratings of PTO powered generators. They set it on a trailer so you can take it anywhere.

I have one for which I have made a carrier to fit on the three-point. In using the generator you have to be careful to keep the drive line as near straight. It may take some modification of mounting to do it right. While mine is 13,000 watt, I also have used on my small BX tractor with less power out capability, but sufficient.