PTO generator for bx2350?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
just for the sake of looking, i looked at harbor freight's website. their largest generator is a 9000 surge 7250 running watts, 13 hp gasoline. it has a 8 gallon fuel tank. the run time aderstised is 13 hours @ 50% load. could we assume that a diesel tractor with a 6.6 gallon tank and roughly 18 horsepower PTO output would roughly have an 11 hour max run time at .6 gallons per hour? i have seen .6 gallons per hour fuel burn on a BX D902 mentioned in several places. is that the fuel burn at full load? you also have almost 18 hp available at the PTO vs. a 13 hp engine. i just think a diesel engine is more fuel efficient then a gasoline engine. so if i am correct the diesel tractor would be able to run 11 hours (maximum) at full load and the gasoline unit runs 13 hours at only 50% load, then at full load we could assume less then 8 hours?

i also wonder how accurate harbor freight is on their rating. if we assume 2 hp per KW, then 13 divided by 2 gives us 6,500 watts NOT the advertised 7250 watts.
Actually, HF has a V twin unit that is rated at 17KW. Neither here nor there.

Spencerp

Equipment
Kubota BX 2360
Jul 4, 2021
Stafford Va
interested guessing this has been done before. what can i expect to run generator wise off of a bx2350? i was thinking about buying a winco 10KW, is the D902 enough engine to run that generator. right now my only backup generator is a small 3,400 watt gasoline unit, it has gotten me through a quite a few outages but its just too small, will not power the whole house. the other big con with it, it sits around for a year or more sometimes and then when you do go to use it, it doesnt want to start. the unit is a bit of a headache. a PTO generator wouldnt require that i maintain another engine. i also think the diesel engine, being quite efficient would produce 3x the power of my small gasoline unit, yet either burn the same or less in fuel...... while powering the entire house.

the winco unit is 10KW and looks to be similar to what farmers use, just smaller

so?? thoughts?
I am interested in doing the the same on my bx2360 could you let me know how it works out?

Spencerp

Equipment
Kubota BX 2360
Jul 4, 2021
Stafford Va
With a direct coupled motor to gen setup, you have slightly less loss, hence the reason for the slight difference in HP to KW.

Just get a PTO unit and run it, you are set on it, so no matter of reasoning on our parts is going to change that. ;)

Just don't get too much of a gen or you won't be able to spin it to max KW.
im guessing this has been done before. what can i expect to run generator wise off of a bx2350? i was thinking about buying a winco 10KW, is the D902 enough engine to run that generator. right now my only backup generator is a small 3,400 watt gasoline unit, it has gotten me through a quite a few outages but its just too small, will not power the whole house. the other big con with it, it sits around for a year or more sometimes and then when you do go to use it, it doesnt want to start. the unit is a bit of a headache. a PTO generator wouldnt require that i maintain another engine. i also think the diesel engine, being quite efficient would produce 3x the power of my small gasoline unit, yet either burn the same or less in fuel...... while powering the entire house.

the winco unit is 10KW and looks to be similar to what farmers use, just smaller

so?? thoughts?
I am interested in doing the the same on my bx2360 could you let me know how it works out?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I agree with a lot of the comments above. I have 2 gas powered generators, both Honda’s and both start,run and sip fuel. One has a handle you can carry and the other is for my house. Using for you your house is one thing, taking to tail gate or work on a tree stand in the field is something else. But also don’t over look the ‘welder generators’….I wish when I bought my house backup I would have researched a little more and got a welder generator. That would be handy. And if you are worried you may need tractor in power outage, why not a second tractor?😀 my main struggle with a stand alone unit is due sitting in the tank for long periods of time between uses…I am not sure how letting it sit could be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user