PTO generator for bx2350?

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
im guessing this has been done before. what can i expect to run generator wise off of a bx2350? i was thinking about buying a winco 10KW, is the D902 enough engine to run that generator. right now my only backup generator is a small 3,400 watt gasoline unit, it has gotten me through a quite a few outages but its just too small, will not power the whole house. the other big con with it, it sits around for a year or more sometimes and then when you do go to use it, it doesnt want to start. the unit is a bit of a headache. a PTO generator wouldnt require that i maintain another engine. i also think the diesel engine, being quite efficient would produce 3x the power of my small gasoline unit, yet either burn the same or less in fuel...... while powering the entire house.

the winco unit is 10KW and looks to be similar to what farmers use, just smaller

so?? thoughts?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The text book answer is that 17.7 PTO hp is not enough to run a 10kw generator at full capacity.
With managing the load at 8kw or so max I suspect it would work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
what RPM would you run the engine at?
Engine (PTO) rpm will be entirely depended on cycles per second generated by the generator head. Chances are the Winco is set up to run at 540 rpm input, so whatever the engine rpm equates to 540 at the PTO, that will be what it is.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Keep in mind that you will be using quite a bit of fuel and you tank isn't that big and running a Kubota out of fuel and getting it started again can be quite a task.

Think I'd buy a 10K watt gasoline powered unit (like Harbor Freight) sells and be done with it. Lots less aggrivation.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I agree with previous post. I have L3800hst which has 30 pto hp and run a 12000 continue 13000 surge I was tough rule of thumb is 2hp per kw

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
if it burns .6 gallons per hour, it should be able to run 9-10 hours on a tank maybe longer? that's longer then the little unit i have now that only has a 3 gallon tank. i bet the diesel in the kubota burns less fuel then a harbor freight 8KW gas unit, not to mention NOT having a unit sitting around with ethanol containing gasoline that WILL no doubt spoil. i think the tractor driven unit offers some clear advantages

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This topic comes up periodically.

For a small tractor, it's tough to make a lot of power through a PTO generator.

A tractor-driven generator may not be the most efficient way to make power, and can put a ton of hours on your tractor.

If your tractor is tied to a generator, you can't use it for anything else.

Sometimes the power is out due to storms and you might want the tractor for snow, trees, water control, etc.

I'm not lobbying one way or the other. These are some of the cons that I recall.

Many dairy farmers around here have PTO generators, but they have multiple, large tractors.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep I was going down that road as well and after weighing the pros and cons I just went with an 10kw portable unit, the prices keep dropping on them and yeah even though it is gas when Im done I shut off the gas from the tank and let it run dry and stop so there is little chance of yuck from the E85 to build up in the carb, Down side it is freekin noisy but if I shut the garage door its not bad,,, NO the garage isn't attached to the house. The rule of thumb is 2 hp per kw so in reality under ideal conditions a 10 kw. Which may or may not be enough for your home needs. There are several companies that build stand alone units that come on when the power is out for 10 or 15 seconds and run on gasoline propane and natural gas. Those units while a bit pricey might be a good option to look at

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
My son uses his new M7060 to run a 30kw pto generator and it works pretty well but the newer tractors have a electronic governor and this is key to smooth consistent power output with a varying load on the generator. I'd do what others have mentioned and just get a portable generator large enough to run what's needed in an emergency situation.

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
I still think I might go this route. I like the idea of not having an engine powered device sitting around. I like diesel power vs. Gas. Everything has pros and cons. I have a natural gas stove, my heat is an anthracite coal stoner stove, two refrigerators, a well pump, and microwave. I have an electric cloths drier but I'm not worried about doing laundry until an outage would be over with. One of the things to consider is that not all items would have to be run at the same time. 9-10kw would likely be fine. I have gotten away with a 3.4k unit for years. I had running water with that, ran both refrigerators, the microwave, and kitchen stove.

Natural gas automatic units are nice but way too much money to justify for an occasional use unit. They are $5k+.

Not having use of the tractor for storm cleanup doesn't bother me. I don't care about the mess until the outage is over with.

I'm aware of both pros and cons of this setup.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
I have two kubota powered gensets

The first is a 21Kw, 3 Phase (415v) powered with a V2203 (40Hp) engine.
The smaller one is 7kw powered by a D1105 (22Hp)

Hope that helps

Both are silent mine spec units. The 21kw unit is the older unit and was used to power the house and shed in blackouts. Its no longer used.

Replaced it with the 7kw single phase unit when I added 3 phase solar + battery storage. The inverter/charger autostarts the genset and controls the load at 85%. This only happens with low battery and unable to top up from grid or solar. Im only really grid connected to export excess solar. Have not needed it for over a year. With no solar or grid, genset will run for about 3 hours per day.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I forgot to add previously that I have two gensets. One is a 35KW diesel (John Deere) engine running a 30KW head that is plumbed into my 1000 gallon bulk diesel tank that handles everything on the farm and the other is a 17KW Generac running on propane that power's the house. I have 2, 500 gallon propane tanks (we heat with propane so its plumbed into them.) Both are turn key, both exercise weekly and both come in within 45 seconds of utility dropout, which happens quite often out here in the boonies.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My big concern again, with the smaller tractor is running out of fuel and then dealing with a reprime and restart. You would have to 'stay on the ball' and watch your fuel level and watch other items like oil consumption and coolant temps, plus, as stated previously, you accrue a gob of operating hours on the tractor. which will equate to depreciation and a lower trade in price should you decide to off it at some point.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
OP - we’ve had some guys with PTO generators on BX’s.
I think one maybe even made one?.?. Was a while ago.

When you get it together, let us know how it worked out!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
just for the sake of looking, i looked at harbor freight's website. their largest generator is a 9000 surge 7250 running watts, 13 hp gasoline. it has a 8 gallon fuel tank. the run time aderstised is 13 hours @ 50% load. could we assume that a diesel tractor with a 6.6 gallon tank and roughly 18 horsepower PTO output would roughly have an 11 hour max run time at .6 gallons per hour? i have seen .6 gallons per hour fuel burn on a BX D902 mentioned in several places. is that the fuel burn at full load? you also have almost 18 hp available at the PTO vs. a 13 hp engine. i just think a diesel engine is more fuel efficient then a gasoline engine. so if i am correct the diesel tractor would be able to run 11 hours (maximum) at full load and the gasoline unit runs 13 hours at only 50% load, then at full load we could assume less then 8 hours?

i also wonder how accurate harbor freight is on their rating. if we assume 2 hp per KW, then 13 divided by 2 gives us 6,500 watts NOT the advertised 7250 watts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
just for the sake of looking, i looked at harbor freight's website. their largest generator is a 9000 surge 7250 running watts, 13 hp gasoline. it has a 8 gallon fuel tank. the run time aderstised is 13 hours @ 50% load. could we assume that a diesel tractor with a 6.6 gallon tank and roughly 18 horsepower PTO output would roughly have an 11 hour max run time at .6 gallons per hour? i have seen .6 gallons per hour fuel burn on a BX D902 mentioned in several places. is that the fuel burn at full load? you also have almost 18 hp available at the PTO vs. a 13 hp engine. i just think a diesel engine is more fuel efficient then a gasoline engine. so if i am correct the diesel tractor would be able to run 11 hours (maximum) at full load and the gasoline unit runs 13 hours at only 50% load, then at full load we could assume less then 8 hours?

i also wonder how accurate harbor freight is on their rating. if we assume 2 hp per KW, then 13 divided by 2 gives us 6,500 watts NOT the advertised 7250 watts.
With a direct coupled motor to gen setup, you have slightly less loss, hence the reason for the slight difference in HP to KW.

Just get a PTO unit and run it, you are set on it, so no matter of reasoning on our parts is going to change that. ;)

Just don't get too much of a gen or you won't be able to spin it to max KW.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Besides, if it don't work out as you plan, you can always off it in the classified section.

My personal opinion is, not something I'd want to do. I could buy a big Winco that would run the farm (my tractors have 82 pto horses but I prefer the stand alone standby units.