PTO Direction

dpaulson

Equipment
L3800
Hi. My tractor is up at my cottage 6 hrs drive away , and I'm building a log splitter to use up there. I'm going to use an external pump at 21gpm to achieve a decent cycle time run off the pto, but I need to know what direction the pto turns in order to orient the pump the right way. My plan is to use this external pump to also power a skid steer type snowblower that I'll mount to the QA loader as a bonus.
TIA

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looking at the rear of the tractor clockwise.
Input of pump would be counter clockwise.

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Are you sure?
The way you described if he's connecting right to the pro pump rotation is the same as the pto.
Maybe I'm missing something.
Wolfman's statement is correct as nearly all tractor pto's turn CW viewed while standing at the rear of tractor.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Hi. My tractor is up at my cottage 6 hrs drive away , and I'm building a log splitter to use up there. I'm going to use an external pump at 21gpm to achieve a decent cycle time run off the pto, but I need to know what direction the pto turns in order to orient the pump the right way. My plan is to use this external pump to also power a skid steer type snowblower that I'll mount to the QA loader as a bonus.
TIA
Nice to see that someone else is as crazy as me. A few years back after I cut down a huge tree I decided to build my own splitter as well. I put quick connects on the 15 gpm pump from my backhoe and using it with a 4" dia. cylinder I have adequate cycle time. 21 gpm should work great. If I set up the relief on my control valve to a max of 2000 lb. I would have in the range of 25 ton splitting force. Even at my lower setting I have yet to find anything that it would not split.
Just make sure that it works in the vertical position because flopping a large chunk of tree onto it is a lot easier than trying to lift it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I said "looking to the rear of the tractor".
I changed it to "looking at the rear of the tractor".
Better yet "standing on the ground, behind the tractor, looking at the PTO"

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
What kind of a 4 sided blade is that? That will work if the logs are 6"-8" in diameter. I am confused a bit as well. I have split wood with mine that were 30" across but mine has a single wide deep blade on the cylinder that is razor sharp.

dpaulson

Equipment
L3800
The blade will make 6 pces. I optimized it for a 12" log. The blade can then be raised from the bed to accommodate larger logs. I thinking now that I will put another single blade on the back as it can be lifted off and turned around to be used if needed.

Donystoy

Equipment
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
This is a picture of mine. It is attached to the sub frame I made for my backhoe. It can also attach to the standard 3 pt arms.

Last edited: