Protect mower deck

brimar

Equipment
bx 1870 48" mmm fel
Oct 5, 2014
lancaster PA
My bx is 2 years old now the underside of the mower deck is pretty much bare metal. What do other guys do to protect their decks from rotting out over time? I pull the deck and clean the underside at least 3 times a season.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I spray the underside of all my mower decks with Fluid Film a couple times a year. It helps prevent corrosion as well as keeping grass from sticking badly.

All Lowe's near me sell it now...used to be hard to find.

Central Joe

Equipment
B7100 Grading Blade Disc Roto Tiller Scarifer Rake 48" Finish Mower
Mar 26, 2015
South Carolina
Believe it or not a good spray of pam or similar non stick cooking spray works good for me. Clean it good, repaint and let dry and coat with pam. Just my solution. joe

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I spray the underside of all my mower decks with Fluid Film a couple times a year. It helps prevent corrosion as well as keeping grass from sticking badly.

All Lowe's near me sell it now...used to be hard to find.
I second the Fluid Film, also use on hydraulic rods during storage & snow blower to protect from salt damage. My dealer recommended, and also can get at Lowe's as stated above.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now what I would do is pressure wash the deck top and bottom, wait for it to dry,,, several adult beverages is usually long enough time to wait, Then grease ALL the fittings, flip it over and what ever cheap spray paint you can find spray the bottom, and wait for it to dry,, several more adult beverages,, then pull off the blades and have some one else sharpen them, cause by this time you could take off a finger or 2 on the grinder, have them reinstall them, and enjoy another adult beverage while telling them how to do the job, then spray everything with PAM cooking spray, ,push it out of the way and sit back and enjoy another adult beverage while admiring the good job you just did,,
Now for the snowblower ,,,,,,, :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use Amsoil heavy duty metal protector.

Skeets, for a x g-man you sure have a sense of humor. Most MSHA guys don't have one on or off duty.

brimar

Equipment
bx 1870 48" mmm fel
Oct 5, 2014
lancaster PA
Thanks for the input . I have three products to choose from , the hardest decision is cans or bottles for the adult beverages.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks Bulldog,, thats what caused me problems with the powers that be,,, I never forgot where I came from. I never went in trying to prove I was the one with the pencil. But if they needed their peepees wacked they got it. Though I must admit there were a few I did take pleasure in wacking,,,lol

Jbird

Equipment
L4600, loader with brush crusher 4000, pallet forks, rototiller, box blade,ZD326
Mar 14, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
I second the Fluid Film, also use on hydraulic rods during storage & snow blower to protect from salt damage. My dealer recommended, and also can get at Lowe's as stated above.[/QUOTE

I agree, I get it in 5 gallon container and spray it on all my implements with a $20 pressure paint spray gun from harbor freight , works great , sprays on at 40lbs pressure, leaves a waxy film and lubricates.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Gosh: I have had several mower decks and might scrape off some if I turn it over, but, they have lasted and lasted. I think it is a waste of time to get too involved with a work project like that.