Proper Ballast Recommendations

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I have a Titan ballast box for my LX2610 filled with a combination of large rocks (free from my property) and playground sand that I purchased from the local home improvement store. I'm guessing that the box currently weighs somewhere between 600 and 650 lbs. and I also have fluid filled rear tires on the tractor. I haven't done much work with the bucket, but this setup has proved to be a solid for clearing snow with the front plow during the winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Hi, New B2601 tractor owner here ... I have a ballast situation I want to plan for ... I will be using the LA435 loader to do some dirt moving work at a local private motocross track. With this in mind, I have:

Approx. 660lbs of ballast in my rear tires (60gl of BioBallast total) ... 11lbs per gallon?
My loader weighs 458 and my 54" quick attach bucket weighs 198 pounds.
So at this point ... I'm pretty darn even between front and back - (front of 656 and rear of 660) - yes?

Next I suppose I should put as much weight in the weight box to match the weight of the dirt I will end up with at times in the front loader bucket? (I have a LandPride weight box which can hold up to 600lbs). I was thinking of putting bags of concrete in there (maybe wrapped in plastic to keep them from getting wet).

Is this making sense?
Yes, I think you should be fine using rear tire ballast and 3pt filled ballast box.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I also have a B2601 and when I first got it I researched, read, sought advice etc on ballast to make sure the rubber side stayed down when using the same loader and bucket. I followed the advice I received here around using my box blade for rear ballast when using the loader.........filled tires and the Box Blade have been plenty fine for full buckets of dirt and gravel.

My thought process was that I would rather have something useful hanging off the back of the tractor than just "weight".

Just a thought......

EDIT: I think my BB weighs in at about 350lbs plus the Quick hitch weight, and if need be I can always throw a couple cinder blocks on it......

Last edited:

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
My thought process was that I would rather have something useful hanging off the back of the tractor than just "weight".

Just a thought......
Definitely a valid point. However, if you are doing any work in close quarters, it is much more difficult to navigate with something wide attached both in front of and behind you.

Reactions: 1 users

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
I also have a B2601 and when I first got it I researched, read, sought advice etc on ballast to make sure the rubber side stayed down when using the same loader and bucket. I followed the advice I received here around using my box blade for rear ballast when using the loader.........filled tires and the Box Blade have been plenty fine for full buckets of dirt and gravel.

Just a thought......

EDIT: I think my BB weighs in at about 350lbs plus the Quick hitch weight, and if need be I can always throw a couple cinder blocks on it......
The amount of ballast needed depends on the terrain you need to drive on. What works fine on flat level ground may not be adequate going down a bumpy, uneven trail. I always thought it was better to have the back end being more "firmly planted" than "just right on flat ground".

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Definitely a valid point. However, if you are doing any work in close quarters, it is much more difficult to navigate with something wide attached both in front of and behind you.
True story. I'm used to it at this point. I did just build a small carry-all platform that I "could" use should I need to work in tight quarters.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
The amount of ballast needed depends on the terrain you need to drive on. What works fine on flat level ground may not be adequate going down a bumpy, uneven trail. I always thought it was better to have the back end being more "firmly planted" than "just right on flat ground".
Makes sense in general. I also made the conscious decision to get the 54" bucket and usually limit the load as I would rather take more trips at 2/3 capacity than a few less trips but they are "sketchy".......anything near max for me is on flat with the pallet forks (ie unloading a delivery to the house).

Good stuff.