Progressive Lenses

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
At 44 my eyes finally got to the point where I needed glasses. I just got progressives. When I look straight ahead my sight is within the middle range and everything outside of 2' appears a bit skewed (blurred). I have to tilt down a bit and look up to see normal. Kinda makes walking suck and forget taking the stairs! :D

Does this sound normal or should I have them lower the long range so my normal sight is within this range. I would rather to only have to look down or tilt to read close up.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It took me a while to get used to progressive lenses. I still use reading glasses or bifocals to read. I do appreciate the mid-range focus a lot though, like when looking at my BX25 dashboard. You'll adapt. As far as the stairs, you'll get used to that too. I did find that I have to move my head to use all 3 parts of the lenses rather than just moving my eyes.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Asked my wife and showed her the post. She said hers were the same. Stairs sucked, and she had to learn to drive and park a car all over again. She said it took a few days to adjust going from single lense to transition, but that what you are describing is the same as what she experienced. She said it was easier to adjust to them by putting them on as soon as she got up

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
It sounds to me like the progressive part is a little high up, but you may have a stronger prescription than me. I'm 52 and have been wearing safety glasses with a 2.25x progressive lenses just for reading for about 6 years. My job requires me to step on/off machinery all day long, and stairs are no problem either.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you never wore glasses before you may not be able to adjust..

I tried them several years ago and could not ever get used to the blurred vision to the sides, blurred vision at your feet and having to turn your head to read (instead of scanning with eyes only), not being able to see the whole keyboard at one time.

I had mine re-done once and it was different but not much better. If you just got them and are un-happy be sure to go back and let them know. They will probably say "take a week or two and get back to us". After that they will re-do the lenses for free if they are reputable.

I went back to just normal reading glasses but that also has its problems - forget to take them with you, falling out of the shirt pocket every time you bend over (get some of the "click" style with the magnetic bridge), blurred vision if too far away or too close...

But much better than not being able to see well close up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My vision went totally wacko a couple years ago.
I've always had bad long distance vision, was so bad at 7 that the figured I would be completely blind by the time I was 18. They put me in hard contacts at 7 to try and sway things well I went from a -13 (blind as a bat) to a -9 (still blind but could focus at about 6" from my face.)
was a -8 then to a -7 for years then 2 years ago went to a -6... but wait my vision keeps getting better... but then lost my reading vision... So now I wear contacts for long distance and have to wear reading glasses for up close work, just not right! :( :eek:
I got smart enough just to get a 40" computer monitor so I don't have to wear cheaters to read the forum! :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I had great vision til i was about 42. Never needed glasses, then over the course of a couple months i couldnt read the newspaper. Been wearing reading glasses since. One eye worse than the other so drugstore glasses no good to me. Tried to buy a couple different magnifications and swap lenses but could never find
Two that interchange.

Doesent help much that i do all my surfing on my iphone.
No text driving for me-cant see to drive with glasses on.
Not sayin i would- but its ridiculous how many i see doing it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I had great vision til i was about 42. Never needed glasses, then over the course of a couple months i couldnt read the newspaper. Been wearing reading glasses since. One eye worse than the other so drugstore glasses no good to me. Tried to buy a couple different magnifications and swap lenses but could never find
Two that interchange.

Doesent help much that i do all my surfing on my iphone.
No text driving for me-cant see to drive with glasses on.
Not sayin i would- but its ridiculous how many i see doing it.

I feel all you guys pain, as a shop teacher, wearing "glasses" has never been a problem, but around 43 ish (almost 10 years ago) , the near vision went out the #$#@# window. I too have a better eye and a not so good eye. Thank goodness my dominate eye is my "good" one. I went to the eye dr. 10 years ago and got glasses, problem was after a couple of years those too didnt seem to hit the mark. SO am like other ol farts, I have more reading glasses around than I can count. I have pairs of glasses every where. Sad part like many of you, I need a little help looking at this screen, a lot more help reading print, and hell sometimes I stack two pair on my face just to read the print on a soup can!!!!!!!:eek:

thank goodness they make safety glasses with the 1.5x in the bottom half, otherwise I would could not see 11/16 from 1/16! :eek: And I know it will get worse ! :p

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got diagnosed with a mild form of dyslexia back in high school. Would start reading, then would drop 3 or 4 lines and keep going. Made for real interesting reading.had to use a sheet of paper and cover up the book, so i could keep track of where i was. Ended up with glassess, and it helped some. Went to a new doc a few years later and found out that i had astigmatism in both eyes. Apparently that caused the dyslexia. Doc changed my prescription to adjust for the astigmatism and that made a huge difference. I'll have a hell of a time for a few days after i get a new prescription, especially with depth perception. I'll constantly lose track and knock over drinks. Especially if my vision switches from looking under the glasses to thru the lenses.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man I thought I was the only one. Like said steps are a danger to be sure and trying to find the right part of the lens to read through can be a PIA,, and then add on the blurred vision when looking out the side of the lens makes for some really interesting driving, and on the bike:eek: bless me Father!
But the Bi Focal lenses they can never seen to grind them in the right place, cause if Im looking at something that freekin line is right where I have to see,,,, Sucks getting old don't it;)

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
I'll give it a week and see how it goes. Then will go back to see if they will adjust.
Sucks getting old. Thank goodness other old age ailments have not set in:eek:

redwormrancher

Equipment
L3200DT w/ LA524 Loader
Jul 1, 2014
NC
I made the move a couple of months ago from reading glasses and had issues too. It took a couple of weeks, but now I'm helpless without them. Keep trying, you will get used to them. RWR