Problems with Land Pride PTO hook-up

Kleeson

Dec 21, 2012
Athens,Al
I bought a new M5140 and LP 6' cutter.

I can not get the PTO U-Joint to slide all the way home. It will slide as far as the retaining balls and that's it. I push the ring forward to release the balls but it still refuses to go home. I called the dealer and he said "It's just new and will loosen up in time"

When I received the tractor, the cutter was mounted...(I don't know how they were able to slide the U-Joint on) When I went to dismount the cutter, I could not get the U-Joint to slide off. Finally, I took a "come-a-long" and pulled it off.

I called Land Pride about the problem, and the rep said "I understand your frustration, sometimes those can be a problem" (That really didn't help!)

I really don't believe this should be such a problem! This is not "rocket science" But I noticed a sticker "made in China" Maybe these shafts are for China tractors?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I bought a new M5140 and LP 6' cutter.

I can not get the PTO U-Joint to slide all the way home. It will slide as far as the retaining balls and that's it. I push the ring forward to release the balls but it still refuses to go home................
I should go look to make sure, but I could swear I pull the ring back to release the balls.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I should go look to make sure, but I could swear I pull the ring back to release the balls.
I'll go with chim and kuboman. The retaining ring needs to slide to the rear to free up the retaining balls.

Using the Come-A-Long to get the shaft off the tractor may have damaged the connection enough to ruin it for hooking up again. This may be the best thing that could happen since now you can get rid of that ridiculous retaining ring and replace it with a pin type attachment.

The OEM ring must be a safety issue for the manufacturers. There doesn't seem to be anyone selling the ring type hook up as an after market item.

Here is an example:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/splined-bore-yoke-6n?cm_vc=-10005

A machine shop or the tractor dealer can change it out if you'd rather not do it yourself. It is not that difficult but it does take experience. Most of my shafts are changed to the pin type.

If you want to replace it then be sure to take it in for comparison. Those yolks come in many different sizes and configurations. They really aren't that expensive and will avoid a lot of frustration.

Just take in the half-shaft and the new end to the machine shop.

Last edited:

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
The ring on my LP 6' grooming mower has to be turned clockwise to slide on and off the tractor and turned counter clock wise to remove on the implement side.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The coupler on my china backhoe does slide fwd to release. Would be a whole lot easier to get on and off if it were the other way.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My boom mower is backwards. The rest of my implements with collars pull back to release.

For the original problem, I have ran into this several times and it was from lack of lubrication. Before a drive shaft hooks to the tractor the inside needs to be greased, oiled or something.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
My boom mower is backwards. The rest of my implements with collars pull back to release.

For the original problem, I have ran into this several times and it was from lack of lubrication. Before a drive shaft hooks to the tractor the inside needs to be greased, oiled or something.
Agreed. I'd bet you'd recommend Amsoil :D :D :D :D Oooop! Just kidding. ;)

Kleeson

Dec 21, 2012
Athens,Al
Well, I gave up on trying to fix the problem and took the shaft to the dealer. One of the balls evidently was lodged in it's cavity causing it to lock up. Probably because of rust or a manufacturing defect? Anyway, now it slides on and off without any problems.

Thanks for all the replies, it was very frustrating!

I did use the M5140 and the new LP cutter for the first time yesterday. The grass was about waist high and the tractor had no problems with power. I also have 8' Woods cutter that I am going to try this weekend. So far I'm impressed with the tractor. The engine in this tractor is a fast rever and full of power.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Agreed. I'd bet you'd recommend Amsoil :D :D :D :D Oooop! Just kidding. ;)
If all I have is my grease gun then yes it would get the royal Amsoil treatment. :D:D

Actually for this application I prefer a spray gel lubricant like Zepp 2000. :cool:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
If you pulled the coupler off with a chain hoist, I'm truly surprised that it still works, lubrication or no. I would worry about the joint flying off the tractor, thrashing about and causing real damage. I'd still change it out for a new one, preferably the pin type.